The Chase Big Idea "compare and contrast" thread

I mean the city is 10 minutes away. Until she's out, I avoid it :tongue:

Hahaha I live about 15 minutes outside, the Patriot News and Pennlive I read always have just the BEST articles on her! She has been such a blessing to the city *sarcasm*.

I also work in IT and formally accuse you of being morally superior. It's an IT thing. :tongue:

Nah, if we're in IT then there's no chance of us being on the "Straight Up" Express tonight when the Rapture supposedly occurs. :rolleyes:

NY Daily News front page today: "Some people think the world will end tonight... BUY THIS PAPER... might be the last thing you do".

As for Harrisburg... grew up in the 'burbs east of the city (Colonial Park/Linglestown) and now on the West Shore. I'll keep circling it but ain't going downtown....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

In the US, the IRS is the arbiter of which groups are considered "real charities". In general, if you are designated as a 501C3 organization by the IRS, you are a real charity.

People who donate money to a qualified 501C3 organization can deduct the amount of the donation as a charitable donation.

There are many types of organizations that qualify as "real" per the IRS. Some examples: religious, educational, support of youth programs, arts related, non-profit hospitals, public safety, amateur sports, defense of human rights, relief provided to poor and underpriviledged.

I am sure that DCI and the corps are all 501C3 organizations.

This is not to start an argument, only for my own understanding.

I assume ALL charities are 501c3 and thus not for profit ?

But, are all 501C3's really charity groups ?

If a group gets their 501C3 does that make them a not for profit, a charity,, or both ?

A private school can be listed as a not for profit, but I don't consider it a charity ( but thats just me )

• Like 1

So turn off the notifications on Facebook.

There is an "edit settings" button on the page of the group(s) in question. You can tweak what you want, or don't want, to see.

Notifications are off. I know how to edit Facebook. These are emails originated elsewhere.

• Like 2

Hahaha I live about 15 minutes outside, the Patriot News and Pennlive I read always have just the BEST articles on her! She has been such a blessing to the city *sarcasm*.

Yeah, I pray she never discovers the West Shore

• Like 2

This is not to start an argument, only for my own understanding.

I assume ALL charities are 501c3 and thus not for profit ?

But, are all 501C3's really charity groups ?

If a group gets their 501C3 does that make them a not for profit, a charity,, or both ?

A private school can be listed as a not for profit, but I don't consider it a charity ( but thats just me )

No argument from me - if there is an argument, it is with the IRS.

If a private school is a not-for-profit and qualifies as a 501C3, the IRS allows you to make a donation and deduct it on your tax return, just like any other charitable contribution. By their definition, it is a charity.

• Like 1

Notifications are off. I know how to edit Facebook. These are emails originated elsewhere.

My bad. Thought you were referring to the emails that come along with any postings on the Facebook groups.

Yeah, I pray she never discovers the West Shore

I used to live in Midtown, but moved to Susquehanna Twp the beginning of this year. Now, I can watch her shenanigans from a safe distance without being directly affected.

I just hope this years recipients that win use the money wisely for the long term survival of the corps and not just use it for some flash in the pan.

I wish all the corps in the hunt good luck and will vote to help them.

Edited by camel lips

How very very curious of you...

den·i·grate/ˈdeniˌgrāt/

Verb: Criticize unfairly; disparage

I didn't denigrate any corps. Thanks for playing... Next?

Saying they aren't a "real" charity is disparaging the corps. Not sure where you're misunderstanding.

Thanks for the definition, very helpful in making my point...but thanks for playing as well.