Hatred in drum corps

I love drum corps, but I get irked by audience distractions:

1. Audience members who are on their Blackberrys/Twitter/Wi-Fi etc etc during a performance. Can't it wait until after the current performance on the field?

2. Audience members who suddenly realize that they are hot or cold during a performance, and pull my focus with removing or donning a jacket or hoodie. Can't it wait until after the current performance on the field?

3. Audience members with hair who suddenly need to be pull their mullet into a pony tail or scrunchy during a performance. Can't it wait until after the current performance on the field?

Serenity Now.

1. Audience members who are on their Blackberrys/Twitter/Wi-Fi etc etc during a performance. Can't it wait until after the current performance on the field?

2. Audience members who suddenly realize that they are hot or cold during a performance, and pull my focus with removing or donning a jacket or hoodie. Can't it wait until after the current performance on the field?

3. Audience members with hair who suddenly need to be pull their mullet into a pony tail or scrunchy during a performance. Can't it wait until after the current performance on the field?

Serenity Now.

You really should consider watching DVDs instead. This sounds like you don't like being around people. :blink:

• Like 3

Serenity Now.

I know what you mean...

Can't their breathing and blinking wait until AFTER the performance?

/troll

Audience members with hair who suddenly need to be pull their mullet into a pony tail or scrunchy during a performance. Can't it wait until after the current performance on the field?

Serenity Now.

Sounds like you get distracted pretty easily, imo. Unless someone is obstructing your view by fixing their hair, I'm not sure why you'd be paying all that much attention to what they're doing with their hair when a Corps is on the field in performance. But everyone has different things that distract them, and yours was an interesting take. And its always intereting to see what irks people that might be considered a tad unusual too.

• Like 1

not really sure if it is "hatred" or rather just "immaturity" and "pettiness".

all of those terms tend to be manifestations of one another when talking about recreational activities, imo. in other words, hate or negativity towards what you see and hear on any type of field for any recreational activity is always immature and petty.

• Like 1

all of those terms tend to be manifestations of one another when talking about recreational activities, imo. in other words, hate or negativity towards what you see and hear on any type of field for any recreational activity is always immature and petty.

Hey Lance.....fyi...June is already here..... :bleah:

Boo Phillies!....from die hard Cardinals fan who hears the same things from NL Central opponents.

please. we boo Santa Claus :tongue:

• Like 1

I think the parents are worse than the kids...

Just before Devils came on to the field at finals last year a group of parents where I was sitting stood up and walked out. I heard one say "I'm not watching this cr*p".

Although this isn't something that's unique to Drum Corps, parents can be idiots when attending any sport etc. their kids compete in.

I'll disagree. Alumni are. They opine during shows with their "knowledge". And worse, those that come running in mid show to see "their" corps, hoot and holler so loud you can't hear said corps, then get up and leave.

I won't mention names, but one at an Eastern Regional is hands down the worst

Just a thought, but maybe y'all are setting your standards a bit arbitrarily. Much as drum corps in general isn't about the individual, these performances that allegedly glue y'all to your seats aren't actually about you. Your applause need not be solely a statement about you and your feelings about the show, the staff or whatever. Rather, your applause can be an expression of respect - to pick just one. Rising from your seat can indicate you acknowledge and respect the effort, if nothing else. Give it a shot. No one will call you a hater for showing respect.

HH

well....yes...and no.

We pay good money to be entertained, not educated. yes, I'll eventually stand as each corps leaves the field, but more often than not lately it's to stretch since stadiums pack you in like sardines.

• Like 1

not really sure if it is "hatred" or rather just "immaturity" and "pettiness".

In my years when retreats were the norm at every show, I can remember people from the hornline taking about "fighting" for the right to "stand on the yard line" during retreat, and just listening to the negativity between corps. While at the same time as a pit member we would be socializing with other pits and hanging out at the local fastfood place across the street from the show site.

IMO the worst example I have seen is with the Cadets 2007 quarter finals night. Whether people claim to have been booing Hopkins or what not. He had every right to make sure the field was in good condition...if other corps dealt with a poorly maintained field that is their fault. Hats off to Hopkins for having the guts to make sure of that the field was in a condition it was supposed to be in.....and what people seem to forget, is that BD benefited from Hopkins call too. Im my opinion that may have been the worst I personally have ever witnessed a DCI crowd. And at the same time I have a feeling that if Cadets weren't using so much narration in that show and were doing WestSide Story instead.....much of the hash mark thing would have been over looked.

I have said it many times on here and I will say it again. We as drum corps members, alum, or just fast....are a very small mimority. We can be the biggest supporters but we are often our worst enemy.

IMO, the worst was when he inflamed the crowd further by bowing. yes the crowd didnt act as good as it could. he of all people show know beter than to egg them on.