DCA AND DCI JOIN FORCES!

many have neer been in the corps...always been like that ...bell bottom brigade that is

I'm talking about Alumni-type members who never marched corps before. Last I read Hor-thorne <$1 to John Flowers> had "previous corps experience" in the membership requirements. And that might have been "previous competing corps experience" but can't remember the quote from a few years back.

LOL, thinking about it as we went (watched :sad: ) my first Hanover practice in a few months. It was close, but the people with no previous corps experience outnumbered the people with experience in the Bari line. Weird part was total number of people who marched with Hanover BITD was 2... (other guy had work).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'm talking about Alumni-tpye members who never marched corps before. Last I read Hor-thorne <$1 to John Flowers> had "previous corps experience" in the membership requirements. And that might have been "previous competing corps experience" but can't remember the quote from a few years back.

ahhhh sorry thought you meant they wer actually at one time or another in the cabs competing corps

ahhhh sorry thought you meant they wer actually at one time or another in the cabs competing corps

At one point in time it was that way. 2 years minimum in competing corps to be in the alumni corps. At least that is how I remember it.

No problem, thought I should have put "any" in capital letters to make it clearer. :doh:

Edit: Think I asked the question in a thread a few years back and that's how I learned about the Cabs. Think there was one corps at the time that mandated "Alumni of the corp only" and that might have been Second Signals but can't rememebr.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If I recall correctly DCA, as an association, does have a lower minumum age requirement of 12 years old; no upper age requirement. How a group (in any walk of life) with a upper age requirement (cut off) fits into a association with no upper age requirement, and mission statement as such; I don't know.......I leave to smarter folks that I.

What I remember hearing, when Cadets 2 was first announced and all of this was discussed in detail, is that DCA has no rules regarding age limits minimum or maximum, leaving each corps free to choose their own membership as they see fit. Cadets 2 is (not officially, but pretty obviously IMO) a feeder corps for the WC corps, and thus their members will need to be the proper age to be able to move up. I can't say I like it 100%, but I understand it and I'm willing to give it a chance.

Now, back ON topic, I think this is a great move by both organizations. Hats off to Dan Acheson and Gil Silva, and the many other people I'm sure were involved :thumbup:

Edited by Spandy

Ohter than the recent one-shot DCI reunion corps.

But you're right.... the year-round alumni groups, I don't think any of them are just alums from a given corps anymore.

Most "Alumni Corps", are Alumni "TYPE" Corps" More like Civil War Re-enactors. You can be very sure that the people that do Civil War Re-enactiong were Not members of any Units that fought in the Civil War.

BUT. Like Civil War Re-enactors the people in the Corps like "Cab's", "Skyliners", "Bridgemen", "St. Kevin's", and Many more. And, Corps made of Many different Corps, that repesnt other things. Like "Park City Pride" that represent an area ( Bridgeport and CT). or "Florida Brass". They have members from Cabs, Sky, Sun, Brigs, Phantom, BSGK, St. Kevins and many many more. They All try to give, you the public. The "Music, Look, and Sound" of what once was. Although there are some "Alumni" and "Re-union" Corps that only take members of that unit. (SCV, Cavs Classic, Garfield/HolyName)

Most "Alumni Corps", are Alumni "TYPE" Corps" More like Civil War Re-enactors. You can be very sure that the people that do Civil War Re-enactiong were Not members of any Units that fought in the Civil War.

BUT. Like Civil War Re-enactors the people in the Corps like "Cab's", "Skyliners", "Bridgemen", "St. Kevin's", and Many more. And, Corps made of Many different Corps, that repesnt other things. Like "Park City Pride" that represent an area ( Bridgeport and CT). or "Florida Brass". They have members from Cabs, Sky, Sun, Brigs, Phantom, BSGK, St. Kevins and many many more. They All try to give, you the public. The "Music, Look, and Sound" of what once was. Although there are some "Alumni" and "Re-union" Corps that only take members of that unit. (SCV, Cavs Classic, Garfield/HolyName)

I only hope that someday soon the South will field a Alumni corps. There are so many "age outs" from DCA around that I think the time is ripe for getting a Southern Alumni corps off the ground.

At one point in time it was that way. 2 years minimum in competing corps to be in the alumni corps. At least that is how I remember it.

Im a bit confused by this. Can you explain?