STANFORD!

Many are talking about how different BD visual package is compared to last year. Why is that? Don't we always say that the visual should always be subservient to the music? Don't you agree that this year's BD visual fit the music just as well as last years?

My issue(s) with BD's visual this year is not about it fitting the music. First, the building material itself looks cheap and not worthy of a top notch corps. Second, moving, connecting, disconnetcing, reconnecting the pieces is not seemless and invisible like the past two years - if you see it happen, it's not magic. Third, they don't seem to ever maximize on the props, for example, when they create the "staircase" they don't march up it or do anything to help you know it is meant to be a staircasee - and sometimes the staircase is a barrier that the corps can't breach while seconds later they are walking right over like they are pvc columns on the ground and then the "open" sections of the staircase (which ruin the image of it as a staircase) so the corps can march through the openings like doorways (reminds me of Tommy and how the tarp "bumpers" were sometimes pinball bumpers that couldn't be marched on and, seconds later, were just treated like tarps on the field). Fourth, all the above makes you focus on the drill and how little of it there is compared to anyone else in the top eight (at least) - you see how often not only the corps but also the guard stop in one place of an extended period of time - sorry but guard work on the move SHOULD get a lot more credit than stationary work just as playing difficult music SHOULD get more credit when done the move than stationary. And finally, the progression of things they do with the props seems somewhat random and doesn't flow as a storyline nor does it tell the story of "a house is not a home" - it would have made more sense if they STARTED with the completed house and then deconstructed it, tossed it aside, and ended with the corps forming the house through the drill (indicating that the physical structure is not important, its the heart and soul of its occupants that make it a home).

So, no, its not about whether the visual fits this year's music.

• Like 1

My issue(s) with BD's visual this year is not about it fitting the music. First, the building material itself looks cheap and not worthy of a top notch corps. Second, moving, connecting, disconnetcing, reconnecting the pieces is not seemless and invisible like the past two years - if you see it happen, it's not magic. Third, they don't seem to ever maximize on the props, for example, when they create the "staircase" they don't march up it or do anything to help you know it is meant to be a staircasee - and sometimes the staircase is a barrier that the corps can't breach while seconds later they are walking right over like they are pvc columns on the ground and then the "open" sections of the staircase (which ruin the image of it as a staircase) so the corps can march through the openings like doorways (reminds me of Tommy and how the tarp "bumpers" were sometimes pinball bumpers that couldn't be marched on and, seconds later, were just treated like tarps on the field). Fourth, all the above makes you focus on the drill and how little of it there is compared to anyone else in the top eight (at least) - you see how often not only the corps but also the guard stop in one place of an extended period of time - sorry but guard work on the move SHOULD get a lot more credit than stationary work just as playing difficult music SHOULD get more credit when done the move than stationary. And finally, the progression of things they do with the props seems somewhat random and doesn't flow as a storyline nor does it tell the story of "a house is not a home" - it would have made more sense if they STARTED with the completed house and then deconstructed it, tossed it aside, and ended with the corps forming the house through the drill (indicating that the physical structure is not important, its the heart and soul of its occupants that make it a home).

None of us can know what lies ahead for this season's BD show design, I can only suggest that they are NOT done. Once they get "God Give Me Strength" in the closer and the accompanying visual, it will go to that "other level" (I think Cadets and Cavies may already be there waiting.... :cool:). I think that tune is perhaps Burt's (and Elvis Costello's) best of Burt's post 60's/70's run. Not sure how a slow tempo piece will work for a big ending, but if anyone can do it, these long time BD collaborative visual and music architects can!

Having said that.....you're idea is pretty cool.

• Like 2

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am a huge fan of the past several Blue Devil shows, in fact last year is one of my all time favorites, but man their visual program is a mess this year and you hit it on the head with what they need to do.

I notice a lot of people on DCP not understanding the BD "props" this year. Now maybe, it's too many years of being an English major and reading into things literally. They are playing music from Burt Bacharach and they open with "A House is Not a Home" if you know the lyrics to this song, the last part is:

"Darling, have a heart,

Don't let one mistake keep us apart.

I'm not meant to live alone. Turn this house into a home.

When I climb the stair and turn the key,

Oh, please be there still in love with me."

If you look at those lyrics "literally" then the props make PERFECT SENSE. That's why they are using empty PVC frames and build a staircase and in the end build a house. It may look clunky but IMO it is more understandable than the mirrors last year.

YES!

I'd like to add a quote from their program description: "The maestro meets the motion in an emotional whirlwind of dazzling artistry rising from the blueprint of a seemingly ordinary array of yard lines."

I think the idea is to create somewhat of a 3D "blueprint" from the static yard lines. They're trying to bring a blueprint alive by raising those flat lines. If you look at it that way, the solid framed props make a lot more sense... they're supposed to represent the solid white structures on a blueprint. The lines on their uniform also make more sense.

Also the "asterisks" are supposed to be bushes along the sidewalk at the end.

A house takes time build and plan. Things move and change and eventually, they come together. By the end of the show, it's complete. :smile:

• Like 1

Same with Phantom using an all female colorguard this year. The show is called JULIET so we don't need male Romeos. The story is told from Juliet's perspective and if you know the play... Romeo and Juliet meet at a party, they have once scene at the balcony and then they kill themselves so in actuality they aren't together very much.

Well, they also get married and consummate the marriage.

• Like 2

Great show from the Cadets this year. I think George and his design team have captured the impact of the "conflict" done big for the field. IMO (not a slam on PR, only an observation), THIS is what PR has been trying to recreate since 08 (which is perhaps the best example of successful story-telling ever on the field). Unfortunately for them, the Cadets are doing it. As I have said before, "story" is a hard sell on the field unless it's BIG and uncomplicated. When you have dancers (even if they're spectacular) and role players, this doesn't translate (perhaps like it used to) to the drum corps field, particularly with so much visual competition.

Angels and Demons design is genius in its simplicity and the best thing for Hoppy is that it doesn't require a panic re-write or tweak. The rest is about performance level which is only a win-win for the corps and the fans. This situation often can result in some spectacular upgrades (ala 2009 Cadets).

YES! No big storyline, just a plain old battle. And as long as they don't "nuke" it, they should be fine. It's an excellent show and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do to upgrade it.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Probably my favorite music of the night. It's really great to hear something I recognize. Not dissing the "music for music majors" style, but it's nice to hear just one corps doing something I've heard before.

Well, for the average person under 35, most of these Bacharach tunes are no more familiar than, say, Holst or Rachmaninoff, which is to say, sadly obscure.

Also the "asterisks" are supposed to be bushes shrubberies along the sidewalk at the end.

A house takes time build and plan. Things move and change and eventually, they come together. By the end of the show, it's complete. :smile:

Fixed.

Ni !

Edited by corpsband

Well, for the average person under 35, most of these Bacharach tunes are no more familiar than, say, Holst or Rachmaninoff, which is to say, sadly obscure.

I don't think I know ANY Bacharach. But, I've used drum corps plenty of times to learn new music.

• Like 1