What states should have a drum corps?

No, the Cadets are now based in Allentown, PA. They used to be from Bergen County, but moved when they went under the YEA! umbrella.

Are you sure ?

I thought they were under the YEA umbrella long before the move to Allentown.

Or am I just senile ?

Are you sure ?

I thought they were under the YEA umbrella long before the move to Allentown.

Or am I just senile ?

Not sure. I didn't start following DCI till 2003, and they were already in Allentown and under YEA, so I just assumed that was the reason for the move. If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to know

IMO starting a drumcorps has little to do with what state needs one, what area has great bands, when schools let or what city has the most people. The primary ingredient in starting a corps is one dynamic individual with undying focus that is willing to put thousands of hours and dollars towards the goal. It is a difficult task and those that succeed should be applauded.

I haven't read all of the responses but I would say Texas and Virginia....maybe Alabama...

Recently I was sitting around and reflecting on the story of the Academy and how they came to be and a great inquiry arose...

Part of the story I heard was Mark Richardson met with fellow drum corps fanatics to talk about starting a drum corps in the greater Phoenix area. Some of the questions that came of this meeting was generally something like this: 'Why does Phoenix (the 5th largest city in the US) not have a drum corps? Why do music students in Phoenix have to travel out of state to obtain such an experience?'. I kind of got to thinking about other states that now have a similar situation. For example, New York has a reputation for being one of the best states for music education but yields no drum corps (then again you have to consider that the east coast has quite a few of them, but still...). New York City is also the most populated city in the US. Or even a state like Utah where it is beautiful in the summer! Also, the ammount of Mormon families in the state could help with sustainability. Though it may be a generalization, Mormon families always seem to support their youth's activities to the bitter end. These are just two completely random examples.

So all this left me with this question: What states (or cities) do you feel should have a drum corps that currently do not have one?

Opinion away...

Yes! Missouri really does need one. As well as New York, i think. Maybe. Well, Because there isn't really any corps northeast US, right? just Carolina Crown, Jersey Surf, and Teal Sound, more east and southeast. Maybe i'm mistaking.

7th Regiment from CT is Open Class as are The Spartans from New Hampshire... And then there's the Crusaders.

Virginia or Mississippi should get one IMO. Those are the only states in the lower 48 that don't border a state with a corps.

Edited by ctbonesfan

Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Missouri are all states with thriving high school music programs that don't current have a World Class corps (nor Open?)

Kansas City would make a good base for one, in the middle of the relatively untapped plains states.

Michigan is a very strange state for drum corps in that its corps (current and past) seem to attract a large percussion section and a small hornline and guard.

Legends is definitely an up-and-coming drum corps. If everything works out well and support grows in these troubled times, I can see Legends becoming a world class corps down the line. It seems like their corps director is doing what he can to ensure a healthy program financially above all else. The progress they've made in just a few years has really been remarkable. They really are a solid open-class corps.

Might I just add that comments about open class corps "not being real drum corps" are incredibly distasteful? We're all in this together folks. If you want a world class corps in your area/state when you have an open class corps in the same state...SUPPORT YOUR OPEN CLASS CORPS!

• Like 1

Already have been trying to get a drum corps started up here in utah. Doesnt work, too many of men in the LDS community serve missions from 19-21. The exact same reason why I never was able to march.

However, bigger states like New York and Texas you would think would have some corps... I mean if Oregon and Wyoming have them, Texas for sure should...

In all honesty I wish that DCI would change the age level to 15-23.

21 is just too small of a cut off point, there are THOUSANDS (millions?) of Kids in college until mid 20's, it doesnt make sense to cut it off at 21 IMO.

Edited by DCISuperfan

I think since we house both Madison, and Blue Stars, we have 1/2 of each corps, so using 2nd grade math. (1/2+1/2=1) we have 1 drum corps in Indiana.

Avon High School probably counts for another 1... or at least probably 3/4 of one.

We're up to 1 3/4 of a drum corps now!

Las Vegas, Nevada should have a Drum Corps. But what are the odds ?

Las Vegas Marching Arts is supposedly working on fielding a corps. www.lasvegasmarchingarts.org

Edited by bmroth1