Drums Along The Rockies

I noticed when the dueling drumlines meet head on in their drum features, the horns/guard are doing a "slow motion" effect....allowing us to focus on the confrontation between the percussion. I like it!

Sounds great! I read that an ex-Blue Man Group fellow has been checking in with the corps every so often to refine the characterizations, too. Hopefully that's having a good impact.

I'm the most concerned about the effectiveness of the show post-ballad, the health of some of the members, and the synth. We'll see. Hope they continue doing well and keep bouncing back when things are off!

Think outward (to crowd), not inward (to judges).

We all love BD for their talent (which they have in both players and instructors), but they struggle to connect with the audience many years. This year being another example of that -- Burt Bacharach? What generation is that supposed to appeal to????

You've got it all wrong except the talent part.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I just watched the show from last night. I'm REALLY loving Cadets' show (of course), but I am getting extremely ticked off with the synth covering up the brass line. Absolutely annoying to me. The brass sounds excellent but you can hardly hear them with all that, what did someone say? Thunderous Goo???

TONE DOWN THE #### SYNTHS!!!!

I would say the same thing! However from what I noticed it seemed that possibly mic placement could have been a factor as well. Maybe just too close to the speakers? Either way, kinks that I'm sure will be resolved soon enough. And Hopkins did mention in another thread of a similar issue taking place. I hope live broadcasts in the future don't present similar issues??

Edited by charlie1223

What is Tempe on the West Coast of? Allentown? Rockford? Denver?

What about Santa Clara, Concord, Woodinville, WA, or San Diego?

The statement wasn't a conjuction clause ( and) where every corps had to be from the West coast. It was more of a disjunction ( or), where if two corps were from the West Coast, then it would be a true sentence.

Of course, I know the OP was trying to be snarky and point out that Denver is not on the West coast. We all know that. Most of us have taken geography, and many of us have been all over the US.... We know. tongue.gif

Still, the show was a big night for those West coast corps, right? smile.gif

Didn't they pass a rule allowing walkie-talkies or what not so that the guy running the soundboard could adjust things?

But that's just it. They think the balance is just fine how it is. Hop even made a post on here today defending the balance and saying it was only perceived that way on the webcast.... yet many people live felt the same as we did. Pretty much every show I have been to since 2009, the thunderous goo was out of balance... but of course that is only my opinion. Apparently the staffs and the judges like the way that sounds....It really blows my mind! :doh:

Got to give some Jamey Thompson love to that, as well. He sets them up in a greater position to succeed than we've seen the last two years.

Maybe. I also know that cleaning white fly fishing waders and khaki jackets is a lot different than cleaning drill with their current uniforms. The corps, in general, wasn't scoring well in brass, percussion, or general effect. The feet scores were the highlight of the season for most of the members, because it was the only caption they were beating the big kids in (maybe not finals, but throughout the season).

Speaking of feet... another (not top 3 corps) had ridiculously good feet that year. Glassmen.

Good point about the uniforms... last year's drill was great... except it was unachievable (and I thought they did a pretty good job with the program they were given)

Not just Glassmen, but Crossmen had pretty good feet that year too.

I was centered live. Synths were too loud live. Especially for Cadets. (love them this year :worthy: ) Also, timpani player was mic'd too loud.

VoD is still not on fan network :(

le sigh

yeah, any word on when that's supposed to be up?

I emailed Fan Network support on Monday. They responded yesterday saying VODs usually take 2-3 days to get up and that DATR VODs had not been posted yet. I'm similarly bummed.

yeah, any word on when that's supposed to be up?