Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

A concern is the air conditioning on hot days would have to be off throughout the entire stadium, including the lounges, bathrooms, tunnels, elevators, etc.

As much as I like outdoor drum corps, the reality is we no longer have the rain date we have for many years, back when most members still took the bus home. Today, most members fly home, with tickets for some time on Sunday. Some corps now have their banquets on Sunday as well. Having a rain delay to the next day just isn't feasible anymore. And all that isn't considering the fans who have plane tickets for Sunday. We always knew in the past that if the show had to be delayed a day, a lot of people wouldn't be in the stands, but at least the kids would be there. That's not the case, anymore.

To be completely fair....how many dci championship weeks shows were canceled or even severely threatened because of weather conditions? You would only need one hand to count those instances....

No one blamed me? I'll have to work harder next year.

cheese wasn't involved. sorry

Roof will never be open if finals are in Indianapolis. Too big of a financial risk and the corps directors want the same conditions for every corps every night.

Best that fans can hope for is that once every ten years DCI will go some place else. That site will The Meadowlands Stadium not Denver. DCI has kept 40 years of data on their fan base and it clearly shows where the Championships should be held.

yeah and their data shows some of the best attended championships were Denver and Pasadena.

I know it's too tough on those poor east corps to go west. ya know like a bunch did this year

:rolleyes:

Build it and they will come.

DCI and Indy built it and the people are coming. Sound issues are improving. $125 a ticket is a small price to pay for the certainty of the show going on and for the safety of the children and spectators. this is a football field in a great stadium. Not some half baked baseball field in the middle of the ghetto.

INDY for the next 100 years.

Have you actually been there for DCI Ed? I know you love to talk about DCA based off of videos. I've been in The Can. Rochester sounds better

To be completely fair....how many dci championship weeks shows were canceled or even severely threatened because of weather conditions? You would only need one hand to count those instances....

A valid point, however, if DCI continues to be held outside, we'll eventually lose one. Ask the DCA folks to tell you about 1987.

A valid point, however, if DCI continues to be held outside, we'll eventually lose one. Ask the DCA folks to tell you about 1987.

and that was a one off.

Point of order:

So why does the AC need to be off if the roof is open ?

Even if the main area of the stands are off, why turn off the ac in the bathrooms and hallways ?

As someone who grew up in the cold storage construction business, it just doesn't make sense.

Point of order:

So why does the AC need to be off if the roof is open ?

Even if the main area of the stands are off, why turn off the ac in the bathrooms and hallways ?

As someone who grew up in the cold storage construction business, it just doesn't make sense.

It doesn't. There are multiple heating and air zones, and during Colts games, the AC (or heat) still runs in the club areas, concourses, the restrooms, concessions, you name it. This isn't 1950 despite what some believe on here, and they can easily control every area to their choosing. It's not all or nothing as some are falsely reporting to be the case.

Yes, it is a big deal.

If the corps directors wanted the roof to be open, I suspect it would be open. Has anyone asked a corps director why there hasn't been a groundswell amongst themselves to open the roof?

It's been mentioned elsewhere this week how wind would mess with the black fabric put up for sound muffling.

I was downrated for suggesting it is a big deal that Indy spared us from being in the storm after someone stated it wasn't a big deal and for asking if anyone asked the corps directors if they had heard any groundswell about opening the roof? Or are there people who just hate the black fabric or maybe wish it was a different color?

(This is your opportunity to give me a positive rating to help restore my self-esteem.) :rolleyes:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

This whole thread deserves a crazy dictator...