Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

I say, kudos to DCI for releasing these attendance figures.

Hopefully the "Why isn't DCI telling us the attendance figures??? What are they trying to hide???" folks will now go away. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

Agreed.

It also does not take into account the fact that there were a couple thousand that showed up with the $10 ticket offer for Indiana residents only. This was a nice way to fill the place at the last minute... and still mark it as "paid attendance".

I also think this is a reflection of DCI pricing themselves out of many people's fiscal range. $125 is still insane for a decent seat. At least they took the x35-36's and x45-46's out of the $125 range this year. People sitting outside the goal lines for that price was crazy when they first had this ingenius idea for the "black area" not being available to the public.

Wrtv 6 started airing promos for DCI one month before the Finals.....This has not been done before since DCI came to Indy....They even said that the were proud sponsors of DCI Finals and the Arts parade...However at no time did they mention that the $10.00 deal was for Indiana residences only... They did mention that tickets were as low as $10.00....This must have been done at the parade about the $10.00 deal for Indiana residence .....

Edited by IntheMood

Wrtv 6 started airing promos for DCI one month before the Finals.....This has not been done before since DCI came to Indy....They even said that the were proud sponsors of DCI Finals and the Arts parade...However at no time did they mention that the $10.00 deal was for Indiana residences only... They did mention that tickets were as low as $10.00....This must have been done at the parade about the $10.00 deal for Indiana residence .....

DCI released a statement on it about 2 weeks before Finals I think?

I think it was a brilliant plan for them to fill it up. And I personally know lots of people who took advantage of it. I just sincerely hope they did not lose money on the whole deal. Realistically, they probably pulled a bit more money compared to 2010, and that should be a step regardless. I honestly think if they leveled their ticket prices off a bit, they might draw more legitimate paid customers and fill the seats well before Finals week gets here.

How about a "lower prices for 2012!" promo? I guarantee you that would get people's attention. If they can break even on lowering prices, at least they have more people in the door to hopefully purchase souvies, DCI merch, programs, and concessions.

LOL Mike... good point.

Often, tales grow taller as the years go by.

The DCA corps I marched with.... we beat a corps the weekend before championships one year by about 8 tenths...that corps went on to win the DCA title. But in the years since, that weekend-before "spread"... as relayed by some... has increased to six points. :tongue: "How did a corps we beat by six points come back and beat us the next week???"....etc., etc,....LOL.

True. However, getting back to the specific topic at hand here, one can go to first hand reports from Drum Corps News, Drum Corps Digest, VFW and American Legion publications, etc from previous decades archives to review first hand accounts on attendance figures from reporters that covered these events live and then published the info at that time. Those reports do not get embrellished over time. They reflect the reporters info at that moment in time, and no amount of revisionist history can alter those attendance figures reports either up or down.

Edited by BRASSO

How about a "lower prices for 2012!" promo? I guarantee you that would get people's attention. If they can break even on lowering prices, at least they have more people in the door to hopefully purchase souvies, DCI merch, programs, and concessions.

There was one show on the DCA side.... the Barnum Festival in Bridgeport, CT... that did just that, this summer. Ticket prices were lowered to $5, all seats general admission.... and the place was packed. Biggest crowd there in recent memory.

Edited by Fran Haring

30,000 +

1971 VFW Nationals, Cotton Bowl, Dallas (I still have the newspaper clipping).

DCI has done a fantastic job!

Which includes most of the delegates who were attending the VFW National Convention. (My dad was an official in the local VFW for almost 40 years and I always read about the "Million Dollar Pageant of Drums" in the VFW's monthly magazine.)

Which includes most of the delegates who were attending the VFW National Convention. (My dad was an official in the local VFW for almost 40 years and I always read about the "Million Dollar Pageant of Drums" in the VFW's monthly magazine.)

Geez Mike, I hope we're not going to now try and determine WHY people came to the shows in previous years, and make some sort of up or down attendance figure allowances for THAT.

Under such an unusual scrutiny of WHY one goes to Drum Corps shows, I guess one would then likewise be compelled to make allowances for fans who went to shows this year or recently because ( for just one example ) their boyfrind or girlfriend was in Corps and they were there to pick them up after Finals... but really didn't care all that much about the Drum Corps shows at all.

My suggestion would be that we don't start subdividing the attendance figures published ( neither today or in the past ) by whether the audience member was genuinely there to enjoy the Drum Corps or was there for some other reason quite apart from the motive to go primarily to watch all the Corps in show performance. Thats a VERY slippery slope to begin to make any attempt to subdivide audience figures by their level of support for the shows itself, imo.

Edited by BRASSO