"2012 Surf Seeks Wide Variety of Student Performers"

Is a drumcorps finally going to pick up the good times ball and run with it? The ball has been sitting around for several years, since VK left the World Class field oh so many years ago in fact. Many corps have talked about it, a few corps have kicked it around a bit, a few have tried half heartedly and several have pulled off a stunt or two....but no one has really shown the audience a full-on good time full of hi-jinks in 20 some years.

I know Bob Jacobs has the guts to go there, but can he be like Mo Howard and lead his pack of designers and staff off the deep end and into our hearts? Here is to going "all in". Best of luck Surf.

• Like 2

Can't wait to see this production! Should be fun times this summer for the members and staff of Surf!! Good luck with Bridgemania!!!

• Like 4

So, I'm guessing that Surf's attempts at doing serious shows didn't work out and they are going back to doing novelty/humor/theme type programs?

There was one only one Bridgemen; good luck, Surf!

That's what they said when VK picked up the mantle. And for what it's worth, the St. Andrews's Bridgemen were pretty serious before they lost their CYO sponsorship, became the Bayonne Bridgmen, and Bobby came on board.

Personally, I don't see why a drum corps can't be fun and kick some tail at the same time. More power to Surf, and I hope this show produces a full corps that can knock some socks off and move up the competitive ladder.

BTW, there was a list for VK, too. It was compiled by Jim Brokke, Dan Zeilinger, Mike McCool and me. We all flew down to Birmingham for championships week, went to rehearsals and watched all of pre-lims and finals, then would retire to the hotel to compare notes and add to the list. Some of those things were used years later, but having the list, no matter how far fetched, at least led to outside-the-box thinking.

My favorite idea, that was never used: VK had a garage full of old Olds V/R bugles, since we were Zig's corps and could field test them. I wanted to do a fanfare with V/R's, toss them over the back sideline, and continue with the King 2V's. We probably had enough to last a season.

Garry in Vegas

• Like 3

Buffoonery Practitioners- thumbup.gif

For those of us who were around to enjoy Bridgemen Jr drum and Bugle Corps back in the day. Please do them justice! I can't wait!

• Like 3

Buffoonery Practitioners- thumbup.gif

For those of us who were around to enjoy Bridgemen Jr drum and Bugle Corps back in the day. Please do them justice! I can't wait!

Bridgemen may have been comical, they may have been ground breaking, they may have loved to break all the rules BUT even the most critical and traditional drum corps person had to admit they were of a very high quality in all areas. They marched well, played unbeliveable, connected to an audiance. They were not just about the antics , it was at the top level of DCI quality.

• Like 4

Thoughts on this? It's hard to tell how much of this is just a joke. They are doing a Bridgemen show, after all. http://www.jerseysurf.org/articles/254/1/2012-Surf-Seeks-Wide-Variety-of-Student-Performers/Page1.html

Love the former dictator (non-violent) position! Wouldn't it make it more interesting if they were violent? :lookaround:

• Like 2

Is a drumcorps finally going to pick up the good times ball and run with it? The ball has been sitting around for several years, since VK left the World Class field oh so many years ago in fact. Many corps have talked about it, a few corps have kicked it around a bit, a few have tried half heartedly and several have pulled off a stunt or two....but no one has really shown the audience a full-on good time full of hi-jinks in 20 some years.

I know Bob Jacobs has the guts to go there, but can he be like Mo Howard and lead his pack of designers and staff off the deep end and into our hearts? Here is to going "all in". Best of luck Surf.

I think if you look a few years back at their Vegas and School's Out shows (my personal favorite Surf show ever), they will create a great show next year! :thumbup:

• Like 2