Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

The vis staff that came in for the 2007 season wanted to change the technique to what they marched and had taught to the Cavaliers during their winning stretch. Any technique is really decided by the visual caption head and his staff. What they want to teach and clean is what the corps will march, in essence.

..Yes? I'm pretty sure that goes for any drum corps.

I'm heavily biased against Cavaliers individual technique, so I just don't like how SCV looks today. Just IMO, of course.

..Yes? I'm pretty sure that goes for any drum corps.

I'm heavily biased against Cavaliers individual technique, so I just don't like how SCV looks today. Just IMO, of course.

Fair enough. I don't like straight-leg, I think the bent knee works and looks better, so it's individual opinion I guess.

I don't know about judging or whatever but if SCV was a lot cleaner visually at Stanford, how much of a gain would they have had on Phantom and BD?

thats a good question, because for the most part everything else is there. just the visual was really rough. (gotta love those long diagonals..) but as they clean up they'll gain quickly. i feel that regiment is going to peak early.

• Like 1

I don't know about judging or whatever but if SCV was a lot cleaner visually at Stanford, how much of a gain would they have had on Phantom and BD?

Neck and neck but those guard uniforms look like pajamas unfortunately. Frankly though I am surprised they didn't at least tie brass though.

Okay, so after seeing the stanford recording:

I like the show.

It's very dirty.

The drill design really didn't impress me. Might be because of the dirt.

Percussion was nothing less than what was expected.

Marching- Blah. just march straight leg. Ever since they switched it has bothered me. Just please figure out how to do it all the same.

Brass. Sounding really good. Articulation was bothering me. I felt like it was all very long, and all the same. I feel like that will be cleaned up though. I know for sake of clarification early season articulation isn't quite where you want it yet. It just bothered me a little. Kinda wish washy i guess??

Did I think they sounded like Phantom? Maybe a little... but not really. Sounded like a JD Shaw book, but it was for sure different. I think Phantom now sounds more like Phantom than SCV does. Phantom is just, ya know Phantom. That corps has just always played a certain way. And Shaw, and now Don Hill are writing for the corps style. And then the staff teaches that style also.

Do they sound like SCV???

What is SCV supposed to sound like??? I'd be satisfied with the answer "Great!"

But I did see '99 thrown around as an example of what SCV should sound like. And I like that idea. All I really want is in your face brass and percussion though.

Anyway, I feel like I could really dig this show.

What is SCV supposed to sound like???

A: See- Academy 2012

ANYWAYS maybe my mind is making things up based on rumor but do I hear a bit of older Bluecoats in their sound quality/type??

I thought their drill was Generally Effective (teehee)- I definitely saw the Astronomy-theme they were going for- a lot of it made me think of Galexies/the Milky-way, orbital paths you see (the longer curvelinear) on astronomy charts. Yeah, dirty, but it's June.

Good show, SCV.

Maybe I'm a newb and have no idea what I'm talking about, but I honestly think the SCV's show has the most potential of any of the productions this year. Visually, the show has a lot of dirt, but the drill is ambitious and when done right will blow audiences away. For me, though, the show's music is what sets it apart. That hit in the middle of "Hymn to a Blue Hour" was the most beautiful thing I heard all night. I've always loved that song - so maybe I'm a bit biased - but that might be my favorite part of the show.

My experience with DCI doesn't extend much beyond the 2000s, but the SCV drill reminded me a lot of Blue Devils' 2007 "Winged Victory." I can't even quite pinpoint what it is. But anyway...I just wanted to emphasize that, although I'm normally a diehard Phantom Phan, I'm really hoping SCV takes it all this year. I love their show repertoire, I think their theme is done well without feeling like I'm being bashed over the head with it (BD, anyone?), and if the drill comes together SCV will be a real force to be reckoned with.

That is all.

• Like 2

A: See- Academy 2012

ANYWAYS maybe my mind is making things up based on rumor but do I hear a bit of older Bluecoats in their sound quality/type??

I thought their drill was Generally Effective (teehee)- I definitely saw the Astronomy-theme they were going for- a lot of it made me think of Galexies/the Milky-way, orbital paths you see (the longer curvelinear) on astronomy charts. Yeah, dirty, but it's June.

Good show, SCV.

yup

Maybe I'm a newb and have no idea what I'm talking about, but I honestly think the SCV's show has the most potential of any of the productions this year. Visually, the show has a lot of dirt, but the drill is ambitious and when done right will blow audiences away. For me, though, the show's music is what sets it apart. That hit in the middle of "Hymn to a Blue Hour" was the most beautiful thing I heard all night. I've always loved that song - so maybe I'm a bit biased - but that might be my favorite part of the show.

My experience with DCI doesn't extend much beyond the 2000s, but the SCV drill reminded me a lot of Blue Devils' 2007 "Winged Victory." I can't even quite pinpoint what it is. But anyway...I just wanted to emphasize that, although I'm normally a diehard Phantom Phan, I'm really hoping SCV takes it all this year. I love their show repertoire, I think their theme is done well without feeling like I'm being bashed over the head with it (BD, anyone?), and if the drill comes together SCV will be a real force to be reckoned with.

That is all.

newb tongue.gif