What's with all the hate for BD

This should turn out like all these do... :sleeping:

What H said. Next topic please.

Congratulations guys, you got your attention with those witty remarks... I don't see why else you would post that.

I'm not a fan of their design choices, and what I feel their 'too cool for school' personality as a corps is. But I bet they're all nice people that definitely work hard and do what they do at a high level.

The whole "too cool for school' thing is exactly what makes them so successful in my opinion. If you feel like you're the best, and you're part of the best corps around, you won't have any confidence issues. Confidence in drum corps is a huge thing. For example, there are some fantastic trumpet players out there that can't improv well at all. And there's trumpet players out there who aren't the best, but they can improv very well. It's just confidence.

Granted, the whole "too cool for school" thing is probably a reason why they are one of the most hated corps. But not by me.

• Like 3

BD, I think more than any other corps, has mastered the art of designing shows to take maximum advantage of the judging sheets. The criticism some people have (varying from year to year) seems to be centered around this rather clinical approach, and the disappointment that they (the critics) feel because the show has been designed (so they say) with fan entertainment as an afterthought. I can bring up plenty of issues that *I* have with the way BD designs their shows, both visually and musically. I can also bring up plenty of features that BD does better than anyone else, every single year. Whether you love their shows or not, BD (99 times out of 100) will out-execute their opponents on the field. This is why they're always in the Top 5. I think too many critics take their lack of enjoyment of BD's shows and weigh that more heavily than the actual performance level they are witnessing.

I loved 2007 and 2008 (even though I agreed with Phantom winning in 08), but I can't stand 2009, and I've been so-so on their past two shows. It's all a matter of opinion. In my book, BD has their share of "under-rated" and "over-rated" shows, as does every other corps in the activity.

I can appreciate the skill required to calculate high-level mathematical calculations, but I don't want to sit and watch people do them. If you don't enjoy the program, there's not much reason to care about the execution.

• Like 6

They probably have the strongest orginization in DCI. How many others support three corps? Add that to the number of titles that they've won over the years and it's not just good - it's extraordinary.

Edited by Piper
  • Like 2

I feel pretty strongly about this, agree with some things, not so much on others, but here's my opinion.

As much as I loved 2008 and 2011 (2009 - 2010 were good too), the out there programs really aren't helping their fan base. I appreciate how far the pushed the activity in 2009 and 2010 but there's only so big a market for such out there shows, and how people jump on their case sadly does not surprise me. If they continue on their direction, I'll still enjoy the programs, but the bashing probably won't stop just because of the shows small market. I will say though that this year (musically for sure) was a step in the right direction.

One thing I can understand is people not liking the shows, but what I can't understand is people totally trashing their success they've had. Like it or not, those shows were FREAKIN good, clean, and well performed. They do what they do the absolute best, and have had a lot of success!

2007 - High GE, High Visual, High Music, High Brass, High Percussion

2008 - High GE, High Visual, High Guard, High Brass

2009 - High GE, High Visual, High Guard, High Percussion

2010 - Everything except Percussion

2011 - High Visual, High Guard, High Music (tie)

Judges don't just hand them that, they earn it. Whether their shows are crowd pleasing or not, they're good. And if that's not your cup of tea, fine, don't trash them though.

End Rant. lol

• Like 6

Congratulations guys, you got your attention with those witty remarks... I don't see why else you would post that.

The whole "too cool for school' thing is exactly what makes them so successful in my opinion. If you feel like you're the best, and you're part of the best corps around, you won't have any confidence issues. Confidence in drum corps is a huge thing. For example, there are some fantastic trumpet players out there that can't improv well at all. And there's trumpet players out there who aren't the best, but they can improv very well. It's just confidence.

Granted, the whole "too cool for school" thing is probably a reason why they are one of the most hated corps. But not by me.

Attention? Nope just calling like I see it... If someone is stupid enough to ask why people hate BD... People on DCP are plenty willing to accomodate by bringing up all the old stuff that has been brought up time and time again, including piling on in a similar pile to what they had done either recently or within the past 6 months...

BTW Stu... The G-7 proposal didn't pass it is ok to start thinking of other things if you wish...

Bottom line... BD OUT PERFORMS EVERY CORPS OUT THERE MORE OFTEN THAN ANY OTHER CORPS OUT THERE AND HAS FOR MANY MANY YEARS!

I love BD... Have always loved the shows, love the staff and more than anything else... love the kids. This is one class organization. Oh BTW... Too cool for school? really? 'Cmon grow up just a touch... ok? I bet if you were "CONSISTANTLY" the very best in the world at something... we would be able to see your swagger too... Just sayin...

• Like 2

Attention? Nope just calling like I see it... If someone is stupid enough to ask why people hate BD... People on DCP are plenty willing to accomodate by bringing up all the old stuff that has been brought up time and time again, including piling on in a similar pile to what they had done either recently or within the past 6 months...

BTW Stu... The G-7 proposal didn't pass it is ok to start thinking of other things if you wish...

Bottom line... BD OUT PERFORMS EVERY CORPS OUT THERE MORE OFTEN THAN ANY OTHER CORPS OUT THERE AND HAS FOR MANY MANY YEARS!

I love BD... Have always loved the shows, love the staff and more than anything else... love the kids. This is one class organization. Oh BTW... Too cool for school? really? 'Cmon grow up just a touch... ok? I bet if you were "CONSISTANTLY" the very best in the world at something... we would be able to see your swagger too... Just sayin...

Well hey I just wanted to see some opinions, Don't need to call me stupid for it. For a matter of fact I love BD. I find their shows extremely entertaining. smile.gif

The fact that it did not pass was a due to a massive revolt against the G7 by the other member corps; Gibbs and Hopkins did not, and have not, miraculously changed their minds; nor have they apologized for their self-righteous arrogance. They would, in a heart beat, attempt to implement the thing tomorrow if they thought they could accomplish that task. For those reasons, forget and forgive should not be in our vocabulary until redemption is sought by them, or those directors will attempt to blindside us once again.

• Like 3