SCV moves to Dynasty

The USC drumline were the first to test Yamaha marching drums in 1984. We beat the crap out of that first set of drums, breaking lots of lug casings, bending hoopes, and having many shells go out of round. Yamaha added plies and really improved the hardware after a couple of years. The tenors sounded fairly good, if a bit "pangy".

We used Dynasty drums in the Kingsmen Alumni Corps. The tenors were extremely heavy, but sounded good. I prefer tenors to ring enough for the pitch (not just the attack) to be heard. Most of the tenor lines today that use sticks instead of mallets sacrifice projection for speed and articulation. Good for earning points with the judge on the field, not so good for people in the crowd hoping to hear the tenors. My all-time favorite tenor sound was that of the old Slingerland Cut-a-Ways. They project the best and were by far the most "sonorous" tenor design I've ever played.

We've used Pearl pipe band snares since 1999 (the same set), and they hold up great and sound decent.

As far as SCV leaving Pearl, I still think of them as a Slingerland line and am not over their switch to Ludwig for the 1981 season! Seriously, though, they did a great job tuning their Pearl snares the past several years, with a bit more "snare" sound and less of the modern "formica" sound. Maybe the new Rennick Dynasty snare will be an improvement over the usual flat sounding Dynasty snare.

From what ive been hearing, the new snare will have a sound that is very close to the 2006 regiment snare drum (which is a pearl). How Paul will get it to sound like that, I have no idea, but i dont doubt that he'll get close, if not spot on.

I'm no drum guy. But I loved the sound of regiments line on Pearl from 2005-2007. 2006 and 2007 especially. I don't know what it was. I just felt like there was a lot more tone? coming off of the entire drumline. I noticed a difference in 2008. But hearing BD and Phantom's line back to back in 08 both dynasty... they sounded almost completely different.

But over the years, I've come to notice that it really isn't the drum, it's the player, and the tuning. How many corps use Yamaha? Your gonna tell me the Cadets line sounds like Crown, sounds like Madison, etc? I also thing it come heavily from the writing.

Hell... I can make the same comparison with horn lines. And the same comparison with individual musicians. We would all LOVE to blame the instrument, wouldn't we.

(Yes, I know, sometimes it is... but you get my point?)

But over the years, I've come to notice that it really isn't the drum, it's the player, and the tuning. How many corps use Yamaha? Your gonna tell me the Cadets line sounds like Crown, sounds like Madison, etc?

THIS.

Can we finally put this 'brand X sounds like crap' nonsense to bed already? It's such obvious nonsense. Thank you for the perfect argument above. I also like how naysayers never mention differences in head choice, muffling, implements, etc. Like the poster above, who thinks the 2008 Dynasty lines of PR, BD and Glassmen all sounded the same?

Once a manufacturer reaches a certain level of design and build quality, which ALL all the brands cited in this thread do, it all comes down to 'can you tune the ###### thing well' and 'can you play the ###### thing well'.

• Like 3

Once a manufacturer reaches a certain level of design and build quality, which ALL all the brands cited in this thread do, it all comes down to 'can you tune the ###### thing well' and 'can you play the ###### thing well'.

Sooooooo true for any of Paul's lines, even back when he was with VK.

• Like 1

As our indoor group is having problems getting parts(over a month now) due to contact. Just personal experience.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm sure your indoor group is wonderful, fantastic, amazing, etc.

BUUUUUUUTTTTT...

Your indoor group is not Santa Clara Vanguard and you are not Paul Rennick.

I'm sure Paul Rennick has no trouble getting service or parts from Dynasty.

Dynasty probably bends over backward for him and they should. A major, very successful group (SCV) is using their stuff.

Edited by contrajedi8
  • Like 5

THIS.

Can we finally put this 'brand X sounds like crap' nonsense to bed already? It's such obvious nonsense. Thank you for the perfect argument above. I also like how naysayers never mention differences in head choice, muffling, implements, etc. Like the poster above, who thinks the 2008 Dynasty lines of PR, BD and Glassmen all sounded the same?

Bingo. Poor players will always blame equipment for their poor playing.

• Like 2

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm sure your indoor group is wonderful, fantastic, amazing, etc.

BUUUUUUUTTTTT...

Your indoor group is not Santa Clara Vanguard and you are not Paul Rennick.

I'm sure Paul Rennick has no trouble getting service or parts from Dynasty.

Dynasty probably bends over backward for him and they should. A major, very successful group (SCV) is using their stuff.

To add to the equation, unless the group is endorsed by Dynasty, they really should be working through a music store for replacement parts. Dynasty does do a great job of taking care of their endorsers and to a lesser extent anyone who uses their products. Far better than Pearl does from the consensus I have heard. I'm not passing judgement as I don't know if said indoor group has those affiliations or just happens to be some Joe Schmo high school that bought a set of Dynasty drums from their local music store. Either way, I'm sure if the right people at Dynasty knew your needs weren't being taken care of, they would find a way to help make it right if they were being communicated through the proper channels.

To add to the equation, unless the group is endorsed by Dynasty, they really should be working through a music store for replacement parts. Dynasty does do a great job of taking care of their endorsers and to a lesser extent anyone who uses their products. Far better than Pearl does from the consensus I have heard. I'm not passing judgement as I don't know if said indoor group has those affiliations or just happens to be some Joe Schmo high school that bought a set of Dynasty drums from their local music store. Either way, I'm sure if the right people at Dynasty knew your needs weren't being taken care of, they would find a way to help make it right if they were being communicated through the proper channels.

I've had a very different experience with the groups I teach. In my experience going through a rep of the company is a far more reliable way to ensure you get what you need than going through a local music store, as the local music store guys rarely have any idea what they are talking about. They are mostly interested in their biggest mark up items, which are beginner instruments that they sell to middle schoolers at intermediate prices. If I were to need a lug casing for my tenors, it would take months to explain to my local music store guys what I needed, but the reps from the companies can make it happen in a matter of days.

I've had a very different experience with the groups I teach. In my experience going through a rep of the company is a far more reliable way to ensure you get what you need than going through a local music store, as the local music store guys rarely have any idea what they are talking about. They are mostly interested in their biggest mark up items, which are beginner instruments that they sell to middle schoolers at intermediate prices. If I were to need a lug casing for my tenors, it would take months to explain to my local music store guys what I needed, but the reps from the companies can make it happen in a matter of days.

Point taken. I guess I should have mentioned a reputable drum shop. I guess I'm a bit spoiled because I live in Columbus and can deal with a shop like Columbus Percussion.

With that being said, Columbus has its share of music stores I would never deal with when it comes to percussion needs. Most music shops that deal with school band instruments can't tell the difference between a lug casing and a tension rod. But honestly, if anyone buys percussion equipment through those types of stores, they are probably getting ripped off and over charged anyway.

The moral of the story is, go through places like Columbus Percussion, Chops Percussion, Lonestar Percussion, Fork's Drum Closet, etc. and your life will be a whole lot easier.