D&BC on America's Got Talent(?)

I don't care what Hollywood or anyone else thinks of drum corps!

I am glad it's a niche activity and hope it stays that way. As soon as it goes main stream is when it starts to suck with a capital SUCK!

• Like 1

<That instead they'll hear the compressed and constrained subset of the super sound we know? Or that the small screens two dimensions won't reveal the depth of drill or guard? Or ...>

This will always present a huge impediment to a broad fan base of support -

If they make it onto the TV broadcast, they'll reach more viewers in their 90-second clip than drum corps has managed to get to in the last 16 years. I'm all for it.

Mike

Yeah, but if this is the performance that will be pumped into a zillion homes as a representative sampling of what drum corps is... yikes. The quality isn't there at all.

(Also, I'd put money on NBC not wanting to pay the licensing fees for Lady Gaga songs, but that's a separate issue.)

• Like 1

This is what we are putting on TV?

Yikes. What's the point of marching drill that no one can see? Why would anyone want to see middle-aged dudes marching it? Is anyone going to not-crack a high note?

I'd say we'd be better off putting a bunch of kids on stage with drums and dramatic lighting and letting them go for it. IF ONLY this had been tried once before...

Red minuses for the truth??

This "Edge" isn't what drum corps is. Period.

• Like 2

By the way, it'll be REALLY hard to define the difference between marching band and drum corps when the players do look the part.

Red minuses for the truth??

This "Edge" isn't what drum corps is. Period.

I doubt anybody is going to call them "a drum corps"...just like they dont call Blast! a "drum corps". If that's your whole argument, then you've got nothing. It's a group related to drum corps, that will hopefully make a few people curious enough to go check out the 'real thing'. As far as the performance, I haven't even bothered to check out the video, because I saw the real thing live...TWICE (along with a few thousand other people). They only get 90 seconds to perform the audition, so with such a small amount to clean, I absolutely have faith the 'excellence' will be there. Its true...the performance will lose something on TV, but it will hopefully have a positive effect on the live audience, and that should bring another level of energy. Would I put money on it winning the whole competition - nope - but I absolutely think it will be a good thing for the activity.

• Like 2