Akron Alehouse

Grab a stool by the counter and order your favorite ale! Time to celebrate the first show thread of the season (couple days early I know, but oh well)!

Akron, OH - Innovations In Brass

Show Time: 7:30PM

Weather Forecast: High 85, Low 63; 10% chance of rain

Line-up:

Bluecoats - Canton, OH

The Cadets - Allentown, PA

The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL

Carolina Crown - Ft. Mill, SC

Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI

What are your score/placement predictions? Who will be the strongest out the gate?

Here are mine:

1. The Cavaliers - 74.95

2. Carolina Crown - 73.75

3. The Cadets - 73.5

4. Bluecoats - 69.70

5. Phantom Regiment - 69.35

6. Blue Stars - 65.15

• Like 2

So excited to get started! It's going to be a great season. I heard some Crown people saying they don't expect to finish higher than fourth at the first show on account of the difficulty of the show and how much cleaning there is to be done. I guess we'll see how lenient the judges are! I fully expect all the corps to perform outstanding shows this year. Can. Not. Wait.

• Like 1

Saturday night I told my parents to leave me alone, buy me some refreshments, and I'll be in my room watching twitter, here, and listening to last year. LET'S DO IT.

Can't believe it's already here!!! I'm looking forward to this year more than last year.

My prediction:

Carolina Crown's music program blows everyone away for early season. (duh)

Cavaliers surprise everyone by looking visually different, but just as good. (I think they'l look refreshingly different).

The Cadets will get the crowd goin with their arrangement of Jingle Bells.

Bluecoats are A LOT better than people think they'll be.

Phantom Regiment sounds refreshingly different, like Cavaliers visual program.

Blue Stars will have put last year behind them, and will have some insanely hard drill. (Yay Myron!)

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

I have my tickets and can't wait. We are dead center, lower part of the upper deck. Should be a great show.

My picks for the night:

1. The Cavaliers - 73.85

2. Carolina Crown - 73.20

3. Bluecoats - 72.80

4. The Cadets - 72.50

5. Phantom Regiment - 71.75

6. Blue Stars - 68.80

Cavaliers tend to be quick starters (and quite often excellent finishers). They have experience, talent, and chemistry in all phases. In the drum corps world that means something.

Carolina Crown is our reigning brass champion. They have won 2 of the last 3. I envision another great horn line for this year, and if they take the percussion up a notch they will be tough. At finals last year their marching was as good as any. It will come down to show design.

I have a student marching Bluecoats, and while I tend to stay out of the way and wait for the season to start before I go out watching corps rehearse and listening to audio/video snippets of shows, I WILL SAY THIS...their brass sounds as good as I have heard them since 2007. I have only heard a small bit, but I know they have talent, great staff, and they are run by some wonderful people who are as good, and work as hard, as anyone in this activity. I am hoping they are strong out of the gate. I love the music selections.

The Cadets are much like the Cavaliers but in their own unique way. They have experience, talent, staff, and good administration. They are bold, brave, and love to take a journey into show ideas and themes that other corps would walk away from. Having heard their show music (at least what they have to date), I will say that this show could be amazing. Clearly they have talent in their brass and percussion. You know that a Sacktig drill will eventually be amazing, and their guard is always one of the better units in the activity. Only time to tell whether this Holiday-theme risk will pay off or fall short.

Phantom Regiment also tends to start slow. In the 80s this was not the case, but lately they tend to come out with a basic sketch and then they ramp-it-up over the course of the season, adding layers and musical phrases that build and build and by seasons end they tend to have some of the best musical impact moments in DCI. In fact, from 2000 to present I would say that Phantom has been my favorite drum corps in terms of repertoire.

Yes, Blue Stars will likely take 6th, but you never know...

They have had a few shows that totally blew me away. One was the Tour De France show. On Saturday there is no doubt they are competing against some heavy weights, but they themselves have become a heavy weight, and if they are clean and ready with a better show design than last year's, then who knows? They can play and march with the best of them, and their drill design has been wicked over the last 4 years. I felt they were somewhat hurt by show design, and to a lesser degree I feel that overly grey uniform does them no favors. Nonetheless, I hope they bring it!

Grab a stool by the counter and order your favorite ale! Time to celebrate the first show thread of the season (couple days early I know, but oh well)!

Akron, OH - Innovations In Brass

Show Time: 7:30PM

Weather Forecast: High 85, Low 63; 10% chance of rain

Line-up:

Bluecoats - Canton, OH

The Cadets - Allentown, PA

The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL

Carolina Crown - Ft. Mill, SC

Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI

+1 for a quality thread title to kick off the season.

1.Crown surprising a lot of doubters

2.Cadets -2 past champion momentum -- will be passed

3.Bluecoats -1 good feeling about this show

4.Cavies -1 stumbling a little out of the gate -- will surge

5.Phantom -2 pretty again but ...

6.Blue Stars -2 slow start but mid season surge

• Like 1

I'll say:

1) Cavies- 73.75

2) Crown- 73.00

3) Phantom- 72.8

4) Cadets- 72.25

5) Bkuecoats- 71.10

6) Blue Stars- 67.00

Carolina Crown

The Cadets

The Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment

Bluecoats

Blue Stars

Carolina Crown is going to come out extremely strong. Well just in general I think they will be cleaner.

The Cadets are the defending champions from last year... regardless of how some folks might feel about this show I think (like Crown) they will be coming out strong wanting to defend that title. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they won the first show.

The Cavaliers, I have read and talked to a couple of friends that have shared some awesome news about the corps that makes me excited to see the show.

Phantom Regiment... honestly I can see either the Bluecoats or Phantom in this spot (or even third). So in a mix after hearing the Bluecoats horn line from Dan Potters field pass REALLY makes me excited to hear them... Phantom is playing Nessum Dorma... I mean come on!! That's some great music! I have had the pleasure to play a band version (yes I know the arrangements may not do it much justice, but ya'll should have heard this band play!) and the emotion that can be used is overwhelming.

Blue Stars... well I want to know more about what they are doing. I think they might move up this year!

but... placements don't matter to me... I just want to watch some corps perform this summer and have a good time with friends and family.

• Like 2

I have my tickets and can't wait. We are dead center, lower part of the upper deck.

Same with us, same location...if i think of it, I'll post what corps shirt i'll be wearing...