Akron Alehouse

From the DCI Article:

Not since the 2011 World Championship Finals have the Blue Stars, Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, the Cavaliers, the Cadets and the Bluecoats met in competition.

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=395ac0c2-00b2-4a83-8042-024424e256e7#ixzz1y1IIXytX

Yep, you got that right DCI! :thumbup: [[Finals being the last show of the '11 Season and Akron being the first show of the '12 Season....]]

• Like 8

I wish I was at the show but I have seen crown and they are no where near the top. They are young, unbalanced, and pitchy. The show is too hard for them.

YO Dog!

Thanks for your opinion Randy Jackson!

So just what qualifies you to make such judgements since you are still in high school?

Whatcha say to that dog?

Busted??? Yep

Lots of folks on here have much better qualifications than you do to say pitchy?

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me DOG!

• Like 6

So seeing that you "saw them all last week" I'm going to assume that means that you aren't marching drum corps which leads to one of a few possible scenarios.

1) You broke your leg jazz running with your "awesome" high school last fall and so you can't march this summer. But it must be an honor to have such an incredible ensemble rehearse on YOUR school's field.

2) You clearly are such a killer musician that you couldn't lower yourself to standards as low as drum corps. Instead, you choose to critique them from the side line

3) Or you simply tried to make the baritone line but just didn't quite make it. Better luck next year?

Wow! One opinion and everyone has to swoop in and attack them.

"Not MY corps! My corps is far better than receiving any form of criticism! In fact, if the judges don't give perfect brass scores at finals, I call slotting!"

In my opinion, Crown has sounded better in previous years around this time than this year. Their show is hard, but high-reaching may hurt them more than help them for these first few weeks visually. (Feel free to try and belittle my merits as a human now)

• Like 6

Just got home from Akron. Here's my take:

1. Cadets

2. Bluecoats

3. Crown

4. Phantom

5. Cavies

6. Blue Stars

Brass - Crown

Drums - Bluecoats

GE - Cadets

Visual - Bluecoats

Guard - Cadets (Bluecoats close)

My favorite show...hands down Bluecoats!

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 2

I just got back and it's after midnight. 300 mile round trip and I'm tired, so this will be a quicky review, I'll fill in more tomorrow. BTW I have not read anybody else's review yet. In order of appearance:

Stadium: GREAT, first time I've been at UA stadium. One of the best venue's I've seen for corps, fully enclosed, great backside sound (right, Phantom Regiment?) and everybody sits right on TOP of the field.

Weather: Perfect, 74 degrees, slight breeze. Just perfect.

Fans: Great midwest fans, very knowledgeable, very appreciative of drum corps, very well behaved. It was a BLUECOATS crowd, man they were everywhere, and 100% supportive of their team.

Blue Stars: No timps, a bit unusual.The hornline was loud, maybe 3rd loudest of the night. The guard was not blended into the show very well. The horn line was very musical, good attention to detail and dynamics.

Phantom: Looked like a million bucks, beautiful white unis, while the guard was beautiful, wore red outfits and gold masks. The best guard of the night. Phantom's horns were not as loud as I might have thought they might be, but they had wonderful pitch and blend. The drill was incredibly effective, nice job by staff. If you heard the Concert in the Park on Youtube, you ain't heard nothin' yet. This is 100% better with the drill. Nesson Dorma brought a goosebump. The ending chord brought the 2nd goosebump and the first standing 'O of the night.

Crown: They are running FAST all over the place in the opener. Fantastic job on Fanfare for the Common Man played in the middle of the show. They spread the corps out sideline to sideline, and front side to back side. It sounded like the whole football field was a giant speaker. In a major surprise, it was close, but I think this was the SECOND loudest corps of the night. The brass will contend for the Jim Ott this year, but they had some articulation problems tonight in the trumpets due to playing some really tough runs. At the end of the show, standing O.

Cavaliers: As usual, great unis, they do the best job IMO. They look totally black from the back, and have good color and contrast when they turn around. I thought the guard was a notch down (maybe the design?) from years past. Cavies had the least power tonight, but did let loose at the end. Cavies was the only corps of the night to do an on-field brass warm up to the back side, similar to BD's famous F tuning, with drums. Cavs did not have any "big" moments like the other corps did, but still got a solid response from the crowd and a standing 'O at the end.

Cadets: For those of you who don't like the idea of Christmas music, too bad. This show MAKES you like it, and you'll whistle it all the way to the car, and all the way home, just like I did. I wasn't crazy about the Christmas music either, until I saw it live. It's incredible what Cadets do with it. The snare drums have a fantastic sound, and the whole drum line was crazy good, again, good writing played well. The horn line was a shock; this is not your grandfather's Cadets, this is a POWER corps! Of course they also play good, the two trumpet soloists are screamers and immediately you think "Blue Devils class screamers." The whole corps is incredibly in tune, and the tunes are arranged great. There was a slight breakdown in brass timing once, but the two sides caught up with each other. This might have been the best executed show on the field tonight.

Request to Hoppy: The ballad "Do you hear what I hear" at one point is played to the left side end zone. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE turn your corps around and play that luscious sound to the audience. All that great sound is lost to us by playing only to the DM in the end zone. I GUARANTEE you'll get a standing O everytime if you turn your guys around. I'm not wrong about this.

Bluecoats: Power horn line, louder already than last year. Like Cadets they are also incredibly in tune and they have a fantastic sound. This might have been the best executed show, along with Cadets.

I've got:

1. Cadets

2. Crown

3. Blue Coats

4. Phantom

5. Cavies

6. Blue Stars

Notes: All of the corps had flaws tonight, all have elements to add to their shows, so the results will NOT be an accurate reflection of who will win it all this year. But it also would not surprise me if the winner came out of this group.

More tomorrow.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

thanks for the scoop all/////with the baby coming a week early, no theater for me Monday!

• Like 2