Blue Devils Calendar

Also, I think celebrating a past achievement ("X") and anticipating a future achievement ("15!") are a bit different.

For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humlbes himself will be exalted.

ding ding ding ding ding ding! Tell him what he wins Bob!

A complete set of the Encyclopedia Britannica, a case of Turtle Wax, and a FIFTEEN year supply of Rice-a-Roni. the San Francisco treat!

(hey....FSU asked for it!! :bluedevil: )

• Like 1

I clipped some statements from the original- I'll come back to them.

Yes, BD is 'unique' in it's own way. I would argue that pretty much every corps in the top 12 at least, and through the -teens also have their own personality, and if you went up to them and told them they were generic or bland, they would probably get a wee bit mad.

I would argue that corps like the Cadets or Cavaliers, who tend to have exciting shows that don't require intense thought or 'understanding' attract people to the activity far more than the heady shows BD has been putting out for the last few years. Some people may be attracted to march at BD because of the show design- I won't say they're not. I know many people, however, march BD because they know there is a standard of excellence there, and they have a good chance of winning. I won't say 'ring chasers,' but if you want to have a good chance of winning, you go to who has won the most.

I don't think that's true... since you can march in World Class from age 14-21, giving you at most 8 years. There are 12 corps in finals each year, and 20-some in World Class total... the math don't add up.

No, I think the complaint is "Yeah, they've won 14 DCI championships, but I don't like the shows they win with as much as Corps X or Corps Y." There is a difference. Would BD be "better" if they did a show like the Cadets? I don't think so- it's not what they do. It's not a BD-style show.

Maybe. I haven't seen their show this year. Based on my past interactions with BD members, I guess I don't see this as being true. But, I am wrong from time to time (believe it or not)

Apples and Oranges. Basketball is a fairly black-and-white game- you score points by repeating an action over and over again. At the end of the game, the most points wins. In drum corps, there are (I'm sorry in advance) 50 shades of grey. There's no way to tell what will or what won't score points (design-wise) until all is said and done.

In the end I think it comes down to this: some people like shows that are exciting and clearly difficult from a physical standpoint, and some people like shows that are complex and hard to understand. I have yet to see a show that was both.

I will say this though: if DCI wants to continue functioning, I think they (and we) need to think about what makes people excited about the activity. IMO, it is shows like Cadets, Cavaliers (usually- haven't seen them this year), etc. that get people excited about DCI. Just my thoughts.

well said

But all in all the Horn, Drum and Guard books are at the same level as the top 3 or 4 corps.....dont you think you should take a look at the visual books as well?

I am serious look at a high cam and follow one contra players through BDs show and one through Crowns show, and honestly say which kid has the tougher show. To me there is no comparison, and that is why BD is 3rd in my book most years.

Actually, the fault of the SCHOOL, but yeah.

I read your original comment as the lights out not being a reason not to perform.

agreed. Not sure really where the fault lies, but it was not with any corp. I need to write a little more clearly.

Just one more point. I, as a BD fan, live in Northern CA, where we have very little to celebrate in terms of any kind of winning. (the giants don't count, or at least rarely count.)We only have the weather going for us. so Please forgive us when we actually get behind a winner. Said with tongue in cheek. That means good natured sarcasm for those from Rio Linda.

I get that. I am a Cowboys fan, have been since 1975. It burned my ### when the Steelers passed the Cowboys in Super Bowl titles. I also live in Yankee Country, and HATE the obnoxiousness of Yankee fans. I get it.

So, which FSU? :)

The one that doesn't win! Just joshin' ya Bone!!! :rolleyes:

BTW, he has been consistent on this theme and I respect him for his concerns. I just feel that he superimposes what he thinks are BD's motivations for shouting "the #" in the circle prior to each performance.

But all in all the Horn, Drum and Guard books are at the same level as the top 3 or 4 corps.....dont you think you should take a look at the visual books as well?

I am serious look at a high cam and follow one contra players through BDs show and one through Crowns show, and honestly say which kid has the tougher show. To me there is no comparison, and that is why BD is 3rd in my book most years.

I believe the argument from BD is that the show is mentally more demanding, if not physically.

again...if you show a skill once and you do it well, you do nto need to do it a zillion more times. if you do a zillion skills, some many, many times,and they aren'tclean, you don't get credit for theattempt.