Is DCI broken?

the problem is theymay be too close to it to tell if it's broken. Remember, everything they have been screaming DCI needs and they implemented has seen more loss of fans, shows and corps.

so are they really on the right track, or can they not see the forest thru the trees?

Depends who is on the track I guess! I am not sure they care about the forest anyway.

The implementations you speak of have not really had a huge negative effect on the big corps. The number of shows has remained relatively steady for the last 30 years for them, (low to mid 30's), per season. They seem to have all the cash needed for new props, uniforms, equipment vehicles, electronics, admin staffs etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see ANY drum corps survive, or even prosper. I really don't blame the big corps for protecting their organizations. There is certainly alot at stake for them.

Unfortunately many expect DCI to protect and grow the ACTIVITY outside it's current membership of Corps. That does not seem to be on the agenda. In fact, they don't seem capable of protecting some of the current World Class Corps.

I believe new organizations outside of DCI, smaller regionalized organizations, will be needed to see any growth in DRUM CORPS. Just don't see that happening in the near future.

Unfortunately many expect DCI to protect and grow the ACTIVITY outside it's current membership of Corps. That does not seem to be on the agenda. In fact, they don't seem capable of protecting some of the current World Class Corps.

I believe new organizations outside of DCI, smaller regionalized organizations, will be needed to see any growth in DRUM CORPS. Just don't see that happening in the near future.

I like your last statement because I believe that is what it will take as well. I said in an earlier post that we needed more show sponsors outside of DCI and the member corps. The Association has become too protected, too closed. The ecosystem is too difficult to break into, but I believe that we need outside organizations that want to start drum corps and those that want to run shows in the summer as a means of funding any number of events, organizations, or causes.

You know, it's interesting, but with many churches in the United States experiencing a decline in membership (especially with the young), and with drum corps looking to grow, maybe it's time for things to cycle back to the way they were in the early 1900s with churches, youth groups, and scouts organizations starting drum corps to entice membership and to offer a genuine service to the community. I know...probably not going to happen, but I thought I would throw that out there. :-)

I like your last statement because I believe that is what it will take as well. I said in an earlier post that we needed more show sponsors outside of DCI and the member corps. The Association has become too protected, too closed. The ecosystem is too difficult to break into, but I believe that we need outside organizations that want to start drum corps and those that want to run shows in the summer as a means of funding any number of events, organizations, or causes.

You know, it's interesting, but with many churches in the United States experiencing a decline in membership (especially with the young), and with drum corps looking to grow, maybe it's time for things to cycle back to the way they were in the early 1900s with churches, youth groups, and scouts organizations starting drum corps to entice membership and to offer a genuine service to the community. I know...probably not going to happen, but I thought I would throw that out there. :-)

scouts have 1/2 the membership it did in the 70s..church groups and youth activities all but gone so how do you go back to something thats gone or in worse shape..kids are not the same either...thats for sure

Edited by GUARDLING

I am trying to figure out why those groups would want to start up little drum corps that emulate what already happens in the public school instrumental music programs. What is the draw? What is the benefit to those orgnaizations? They already struggle to remain relevant in many areas. Paying for the cost of a drum corps, even a little one, seems like very little bang for a rather large amount of bucks.

• Like 1

Work with me here, I just looking for something...anything. :-)

Work with me here, I just looking for something...anything. :-)

:tongue:

We shouldn't be poo-pooing any of these ideas that are thrown up against the wall...even the OP. You learn in brainstorming sessions that ANY idea that seems silly may eventually lead to discussions that work the idea around to being a good one.

There's regional model already existing in DCI, in California with a good portion of open class corps opting to tour nationally or not. For example City Sound, Impulse will tour only in California performing in 7 shows. However VK and Gold will opt to compete at prelims. I think we should bring back DCI regions with existing and new corps competing in them. Once that is done, corps that can financially go on national tour or go to prelims can do so.

Pacific Crest is a good example, since their inception in 1994, they toured in California only until 2000, when they started to tour till San Antonio. Then I believe in 2001 moved to Division I (World Class). Starting then they gradually did more shows over time.

Here's a thought, DCI Pacific, DCI East, DCM, DCI South, etc. Corps in these regions compete from mid June to 1st week of July within their respective regions. Each region can have a corps from the other 3 regions to compete within the regional portion of the tour, like in 1994 when BD went back east or Phanton this year. At this point, the breakdown would be 8 corps in the West and MidWest, and 3 in the East and 4 in the South.

My whole point is that it will create potentially more shows in a particular region, then smaller corps have more shows to compete in for 3 weeks, with bigger corps there. This is especially could be the case out West and the Mid-West. My thinking is that it may alleviate the pressure to tour nationally for those corps that may have some financial difficulty. And maybe more corps could spring up knowing, that a 3 week 9 show tour is worth fielding a corps

I'm just blabbing now, just thoughts in reaction to Teal Sound's situation

Way to go Jeffe!!! Well said... Sadly the divisions are shrinking as the corps that used to be nationwide and even in Canada are no more. It all comes down to interest in the activity and money..I remember in the late 70's and 80's that Drum Corps were EVERYWHERE!!! Sadly we will keep hearing this story. From what I hear the cost to march nowadays is unreal. Plus fundraising for these corps now is much more difficult than it used to be. Especially if they are expected to go to all ends of the country to compete. The more established corps have an alumni base that they ask for donations and I am sure some of them also have corporate sponsorships that donate. However for the smaller corps it is a struggle unfortunately.

I hope that this unique but sad situation is an example going forward in running a Drum Corps. And hopefully DCI will take note and make sure that something like this never happens again...

Instead of worrying about things like adding woodwinds to drum corps (not wise), and instead of debating the use of synths and amplification and narration and you name it (none of which seems to be doing much), I think it's time the activity tried to gain show sponsors, tried to build more corps, and did its best to invigorate interest in the activity.

For the second day in a row, I find the best sense in one of your posts.

Regionalize!

Only "X" amount of corps from each region can compete in Championships. Less traveling miles, stay closer to home and spend less money!

yea, BD and SCV can alternate which years they make the trip to finals... sounds like a terrible idea.

Crossmen can always make the trip, since no one else is around.

Some of the midwestern corps will have to sit out every other year. Maybe we can take three of Cadets, Crown, Surf, Spirit, and Boston each year.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

Honestly, I think we might be highlighting the fact that there are a lot of corps in World Class that shouldn't be.

The sky is falling!

Trying to keep up with the Joneses, even if only because DCI rules currently say they have to, is killing corps.

Whoa, let's rewind here.

1. First of all, the rules don't say anyone has to "keep up with the Joneses". We've had corps enter world-class with an assortment of corps sizes, budgets, and tours. The most notable among those (Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Academy and Jersey Surf) are all still with us.

2. And what exactly killed Teal Sound? Do we know that it was anything other than a freak bus contract gone bad.

3. And by the way, they're not "dead" yet, anyway, just sitting out part of 2012. Frankly, we haven't seen a single WC corps die since 2007, despite the recession to end all recessions.

Might be time to reconsider the idea of the G-PickANumber.

For what possible reason?

1. If you think paying top corps more and showcasing them in their own special shows is the answer....well, DCI is already doing that.

2. I can't imagine how you would think any of the rest of that G7 proposal would help a corps in Teal Sound's position. Taking away shows? Taking away pay? Taking away voting rights?