Is DCI broken?

+1'ed.

I think that we've seen enough groups fold. We are at a point that there are few enough corps total that this type of annual (or semi-annual) review is warranted.

Might that mean that a "big name" corps might be put on a certain amount of probation from traveling? Possibly.

However, it's better than losing them a few years down the road because the house of cards couldn't sustain itself.

One thing I don't think we know enough about (and I hope the Community might be able to shed some light on) is . . . who are the folk(s) tasked with checking the financial solvency of the corps organization? Not so that we can point fingers, but in order to ascertain if there might be a better way.

Is there an independent review of a corps financial statement and books by this person (or persons)? Are they outside of the DCI org? If not, should an objective third party be involved in such an endeavor?

Perhaps this off season, instead of throwing out Rules Congress stuff for the on-the-field product, we need to shore up the other 99% of what drum corps is . . .behind the scenes . . .in order to keep the activity going. Legalizing flying monkeys won't do anyone any good if you don't have the money to get them down the road.

Writing that kind of stuff . . .and hashing it out . . .is about as exciting as watching paint dry, but there are enough good minds in the activity that something good could come out of such a conversation.

I'd love to see a set of standards (if one isn't already in place) to help corps, DCI and others decide if they're ready for the cross-country grind. Of course, there is no one size fits all solution, but I have to think there are at least some guidelines that can be put together for fledgling (and established) groups.

why can't we plus you ######?

• Like 1

I just saw a post on another thread that read something like: "Maybe corps should stick to regional tours..."

That wasn't the entire quote, but it's enough for me to say my 2 cents. Before I even say this, I fully understand that I'm in no shoes to say what if, or what they "should have done." I'm just making a valid point that would only improve everyone's well-being in this activity.

Here is a list of Teal Sound's first few shows/sites that I'm going to relate to later.

June 28th: Richmond, VA

June 29th: Queensbury, NY

June 30th: Lynn, MA

July 2nd: Middletow, RI

July 3rd: Bristol, RI

July 7th: Jackson, NJ

July 8th: Chambersburg, PA

July 9th: Centerville, OH

Keep in mind, I'm not a tour director, nor do I want to be one...but think about this. Teal Sound is based out of FLORIDA. Over a span of more than a week, they traveled through at least seven states. None of which were even close to their home state. Sure, there weren't five shows in their home state, but they sure as heck didn't have to go to Rhode Island and elsewhere in the NORTHEAST to kick off their season.

Over the first two weeks, there were shows in Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee and South Carolina. Yeah, that might be just as far of a travel cost as the Northeast, but at least on paper it looks better. And for whoever said DCI in Florida is dwindling...well, your home state corps can be part of the blame, sadly enough. If you want Drum Corps to grow in the state of Florida and increase the alumni base, then the only World Class corps in the state needs to be in their own neck of the woods appearing more often.

That may come across as very sarcastic and I'm sorry. But it's the honest truth.

What I don't really get is with the "regional" model wouldn't it mean that there will be less corps per show and smaller shows? I mean, don't have to think about why there is national touring model in the first place? That people want to see more corps, not less?

What I don't really get is with the "regional" model wouldn't it mean that there will be less corps per show and smaller shows? I mean, don't have to think about why there is national touring model in the first place? That people want to see more corps, not less?

probably as many corps as you have now

He's a lawyer....grab a big cup of coffee and sit back......just warning you.

Yes, he is a lawyer, but an entertainment lawyer, so he understands the business, as that is what puts groceries in his kitchen. And he was instrumental in the resurrection of DCA from a mostly northeastern group of 14 or so corps to a nation-wide circuit over the last 10 years.

Like it or not, he knows what he is talking about.

Since kids come from all over in WC corps, they still need to be housed and fed every day regardless of whether the corps is driving around a "small" region or on the national tour. Are there sufficient sponsors to host enough shows in 5 or 6 regions to provide sufficient performance/revenue opportunities for all the corps...and enough housing opportunities in these regional areas?

Perhaps their needs to be a more realistic approach logistically (less touring), sharing of expenses, amongst corps, group discounts on food purchasing for coros touring together. The biggest issue has been a dismal economy for 4 years which strains income through donors. I'm surprised we haven't lost more corps. BTW, not sure if the Internet age has helped DCI with people watching you tube or webcasts of shows vs actually going buying tickets, shirts, caps etc.

I have said this before & I will continue to say it...in order for Drum Corps to survive, it must return to the local level for recruiting members & shows. When DCI killed off all of the local circuits like DCM, it was only a matter of time, & that time is growing nearer. The current national model isn't sustainable. It is too expensive for corps to tour & it is too expensive for out of state members. Drum Corps need local kids to survive. Having said that, it makes it more difficult to recruit if a corps doesn't even practice or live in its namesake city. Perhaps Drum Corps should be structured like sports leagues, with 4 division, East, South, Central, & West, with the top 2 or 3 from each division meeting in the finals?

• Like 2

Is that away already, but it more shows regionally, you will have a potential of more corps springing up.

• Like 1

As far as I can see, there is alot of regional touring going on already. The first half of the season is split into East/West/Midwest. Some corps choose to venture outside their region, but usually the tour of shows is geographically centralized. The current model seems to be working reasonably well for the top 20 or so. Judging by the equipment, props, uniforms, electronics and large staffs of the G7 + however many, very well for some. They are the ones who will decide if it's broken or not, and for them, I'm not sure that it is.

Yes, he is a lawyer, but an entertainment lawyer, so he understands the business, as that is what puts groceries in his kitchen. And he was instrumental in the resurrection of DCA from a mostly northeastern group of 14 or so corps to a nation-wide circuit over the last 10 years.

Like it or not, he knows what he is talking about.

It appears I directed my questions to the right person. I am eagerly awaiting his answers.

I'd be interested in seeing a corps have a campless season to save on costs and boost membership. Unless you are local this severely impacts cost of entry. Start camp a few days earlier for those out of college and use technology to teach and communicate during the offseason.