Blue Devils vs. Carolina Crown

So is anybody frustrated that Blue Devils might beat Carolina Crown AGAIN this time and nobody else will ever win except Cavaliers, Cadets, Santa Clara, Blue Devils and/or maybe Phantom?

No

• Like 2

Over the years, the Blue Devils have caught a LOT of flack for trash talking the other corps, general arrogance, and a strong sense of entitlement to winning a championship. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Crown is in 2nd place right now, and it seems like they only thing in the world they want is to win. They take 2nd as a complete defeat. I have listened to members, staff, and especially fans of the corps call foul on the whole system just because they aren't winning.

So what if the Blue Devils show doesn't make sense, isn't that the point? They're trying to prove that a theme is irrelevant, and when it comes to scores, the only thing that matters is pure excellence. Crown's show is more exciting, yes, i'll give it that, but if the drumline and guard don't perform on the level of BD, I don't see their entitlement to a championship as valid.Crown's Brass is amazing, and the scores reflect it. Go Them. But, if you think Crown deserves to win because you are in love with the show, just remember other groups in the lower tier of corps have shows that are equally fan-friendly and exciting. Just look at the Madison Scouts! Shows are shows, but this is a competition of excellence.

I wish that Crown continues to strive for excellence, which they do SO SO SO well. But I also wish they they stop setting themselves up for failure by defining second place as such. I know by finals night, every corps will throw down their best, and the most excellent corps will win.

On a related note: I LOVE how fiercely competitive this season is :D

DaDa is alive, and Go Superhumans.

• Like 8

huh?

• Like 4

I saw them both at Atlanta and NightBEAT. Blue Devils are really good, but their show is terrible. The way their show and concept is structured allows them to do anything and you can't say whether it right, wrong, or otherwise. Does that song go with this one? Is that supposed to be a line? That's an odd visual transition. Again the performers are really good, but the show is terrible. It's like watching a good actor in a bad movie. What Crown is doing on the field is simply amazing. The exposure to error that they have in brass and percussion (antiphonal timpani and bass drums, what?). The Brass playing Fanfare spread across the field with no timing help from percussion. Watch other shows and tell me how many other corps are that exposed on the field? They are what drum corps was, is, and should be. That begin said, Blue Devils are really good and it won't surprise me if they win again.

My only issue with scores is the brass caption. I think it's crazy that anyone, BD included, can be .1 from Crown. No one is playing a book like that. When you look at the sheets where it talks about depth of technical and musical skills; simultaneous visual responsibilities; range of musical, physical and environmental challenges; how can anyone score close to them in that mark?

lol... See, I think Crowns show is terrible because I cannot tell what they really should be looking like, and I cannot hear what the drums should be sounding like! See I like my drum corps performances done well... with excellence of execution! So yes... to paraphrase and correct you... "What Crown is ATTEMPTING TO DO IS SIMPLY AMAZING, if they ever figure out how to do it well... Until then... it is an attempt at best!

• Like 8

Over the years, the Blue Devils have caught a LOT of flack for trash talking the other corps, general arrogance, and a strong sense of entitlement to winning a championship. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Crown is in 2nd place right now, and it seems like they only thing in the world they want is to win. They take 2nd as a complete defeat. I have listened to members, staff, and especially fans of the corps call foul on the whole system just because they aren't winning.

So what if the Blue Devils show doesn't make sense, isn't that the point? They're trying to prove that a theme is irrelevant, and when it comes to scores, the only thing that matters is pure excellence. Crown's show is more exciting, yes, i'll give it that, but if the drumline and guard don't perform on the level of BD, I don't see their entitlement to a championship as valid.Crown's Brass is amazing, and the scores reflect it. Go Them. But, if you think Crown deserves to win because you are in love with the show, just remember other groups in the lower tier of corps have shows that are equally fan-friendly and exciting. Just look at the Madison Scouts! Shows are shows, but this is a competition of excellence.

I wish that Crown continues to strive for excellence, which they do SO SO SO well. But I also wish they they stop setting themselves up for failure by defining second place as such. I know by finals night, every corps will throw down their best, and the most excellent corps will win.

You don't win the "Silver".

You lose the "Gold".

• Like 3

Yes i do. Another thread about BD and CC which could be in any of the other 10234872079374902834 other topics of these two.

Sorry

• Like 5

So...it's perfectly ok in your mind for BD to want to win but not ok for Crown to want win ? blink.gif

Apparently it's that time of year on DCP :-\

• Like 5