The DCI/DCA Dead Time, between corps performances

Pro sports have gotten a lot better at doing what drumlaw's talking about than they did 40 years ago. Between innings, half-time, between periods, they're trying to engage fans in the stadium, and most people like it. Drum corps still does it like it was done 40 years ago. There is some between-corps entertainment championship week and at some regionals, but there's room for improvement. The DCI Hall of Fame presentation is not exactly entertainment to most drum corps newbies.

Like everything else when it comes to entertainment, YMMV. Not everybody will enjoy screaming electronic multimedia as loud as the performances. Some like Stu would always long for the way it was always done before. But is future growth in DCI with Stu's approach to INT or drumlaw's? I'd say it was with drumlaw's.

OTOH the masters of entertainment, Cirque du Soleil, have a modest pre-show at many productions, but they still consistently have an old-fashioned (and quiet, and visually dead) intermission. That's partly because they want people to go out and buy stuff. It's also because they want the show to speak for itself without dilution of the message.

Most people like it today because we have developed a culture where people do not want to think or do things on their own without their time being structured/entertained by external sources.

I like the idea, but the judges would be way too positive. Part of the draw from those reality shows is when a judge rips a participant.

I think shaving a minute or two off the performance times might help as well. Some of the poorly designed shows really seem to drag.

PLAN D - Limit equipment to what the corps members can bring on and off the field with them. Each corps gets 15 minutes to get on the field, perform, and get off the field. All captions are judged for the entire 15 minutes, encouraging corps to figure out how to eliminate the "dead time" from their own field entry/exit routines.

• Like 1

Pro sports have gotten a lot better at doing what drumlaw's talking about than they did 40 years ago. Between innings, half-time, between periods, they're trying to engage fans in the stadium, and most people like it. Drum corps still does it like it was done 40 years ago. There is some between-corps entertainment championship week and at some regionals, but there's room for improvement. The DCI Hall of Fame presentation is not exactly entertainment to most drum corps newbies.

Like everything else when it comes to entertainment, YMMV. Not everybody will enjoy screaming electronic multimedia as loud as the performances. Some like Stu would always long for the way it was always done before. But is future growth in DCI with Stu's approach to INT or drumlaw's? I'd say it was with drumlaw's.

OTOH the masters of entertainment, Cirque du Soleil, have a modest pre-show at many productions, but they still consistently have an old-fashioned (and quiet, and visually dead) intermission. That's partly because they want people to go out and buy stuff. It's also because they want the show to speak for itself without dilution of the message.

How about like this? :tongue: JK

I enjoy hearing in every bloody post that if something as trivial and the time between corps doesn't change the activity is doomed to die. I guess I need to rethink my experiences when I go to a show because I'm supposed to be bored half the time. I never realized this. I thought I've been having fun, guess I'm doing it wrong.

+1 Welcome to the alternate reality that is DCP. :lle: Huge void between online talk and lived reality for me too.

• Like 1

Its really sad that we're even having this conversation. God forbid we not be entertained for every second of every day of our lives. God forbid we take the two minutes in between shows and, oh I don't know, engage in conversation with another human being regarding what we just watched? Its down time, not dead time. Personally, I enjoy the social aspect of going to a show. Its fun to talk to the people around me in between shows and get their thoughts. That's a big part of why I go to the shows in the first place.

Have our attention spans and our endless feelings of entitlement really gotten that out of control?

Edited by actucker
  • Like 2

I like the idea, but the judges would be way too positive. Part of the draw from those reality shows is when a judge rips a participant.

I think shaving a minute or two off the performance times might help as well. Some of the poorly designed shows really seem to drag.

I'd rather see that minute (or two) shaved off the pre/post-show Allied Van Lines exercise that each corps feels they need to go through; the shows have already been shortened (from dino days)...

How about like this? :tongue: JK

But what does he know about drum corps? :tongue:

Also, laughed my a** off at 4:05.

On topic: Empire Statesmen did something like option B at their home show last year. Had local brass bands an mini corps play between each of the "big boys". I can't speak for the whole crowd, especially as I was not in the stands, but from what I heard it seemed like people really liked it.

Edited by zachariaswmb

Are we, as humans, to the point where we must have every second of our lives structured by someone else? Are we so engrossed with instant gratification that we are completely board with a few minuets of down time? Does reflection of what we just saw/heard, and verbal engagement with other humans, bother us that much? Is walking around, purchasing a souvie, grabbing a soda, going to the restroom, for a ten min period in between shows such a terrible thing? Is being alone in our own thoughts that frightening?

This is also an issuefor show hosts. People buy stuff during this period.

The time window per corps is 17 minutes. if shows are roughly 11 minutes, it's 6 minutes. Easiest way to speed things up is to get corps moving onto the field sooner.

Wgi has the half court rule....Once corps A is over the half court line, you can then get your stuff out to the half court line, and even slowly begin setting some stuff up until the prior unit is totally off the floor.

and yes, it works with pits that need to be plugged in