Booing scores/winners

I am new to drum corps . This is my son's first year. As I read the posts it saddens me to hear that people are booing the results of a show. How immature! All these groups work extremely hard at what they do. I think the fans should accept the decision..they don't have to like it...and they should be more respectful of the corps and judges. Congratulate the winners and move on to the next show.

Welcome to drumcorps. I disagree with you though. The fans have the right to show disaproval. And just like you said, they are booing show results. I'll add they aren't booing kids.

As far as congratulating the winners and moving on to the next show goes, since you are new I will try to explain it. The way the drum corps works, the winners of this show are ARE the winners of the next show. And if fans don't boo results, withhold clapping and ovations and avoid showing adulation, corps will keep serving up the same products. Fans of drum corps are emotional and sometimes boo, and that is rare.

• Like 2

Welcome to drumcorps. I disagree with you though. The fans have the right to show disaproval. And just like you said, they are booing show results. I'll add they aren't booing kids.

As far as congratulating the winners and moving on to the next show goes, since you are new I will try to explain it. The way the drum corps works, the winners of this show are ARE the winners of the next show. And if fans don't boo results, withhold clapping and ovations and avoid showing adulation, corps will keep serving up the same products. Fans of drum corps are emotional and sometimes boo, and that is rare.

Very true. Most drum corps design to what the crowd may enjoy. They make tweaks based on how the fans react at points in their show. If we always scream and cheer with no regard to how we actually feel the shows won't be getting reliable feedback from the stands.

Yes, I know the kids work hard but I don't go to drum corps shows to cheer on hardwork, I go to drum corps shows to get excited and be entertained.

What speaks louder to me than booing is the level (or lack of) applause at the end of a show.

more than that, IMO, was 2010 after retreat. That was the fewest people I have ever seen stick around for a victory run

I'm no longer railing against the graceless and desperate, let them boo if they must, but.......if DCI is around in 18 years Jeff, ....and your youngin' is marching and you are in the audience (as I know you'll be) and these blockheads sitting next to you boo her (for scores or whatever), your view will be a taint different....I promise.

sadly Plan, you're wrong and here's why:

I've been booed on the field. Before I played a note. Why because my corps had a chance to win a show in someone's town. ( and yes we did win, and yes we had fun with the boos).

My kid will be taught that you can't please everyone, and not to let ######## get to you ( yet I come on DCP daily :tongue: )

Do I boo? No. I've yelled at hecklers that IMO, I feel crossed a line ( and my line is pretty big).

But My kid won't be taught that just because she's out there, in any facet of life, she should get special priviledges and the world should treat her as if her #### doesn't stink. If people are unhappy, accept it, keep doing your best and move on.

In other words, she won't be coddled and she'll be ahead in life knowing how the world really works.

• Like 1

sadly Plan, you're wrong and here's why:

I've been booed on the field. Before I played a note. Why because my corps had a chance to win a show in someone's town. ( and yes we did win, and yes we had fun with the boos).

My kid will be taught that you can't please everyone, and not to let ######## get to you ( yet I come on DCP daily :tongue: )

Do I boo? No. I've yelled at hecklers that IMO, I feel crossed a line ( and my line is pretty big).

But My kid won't be taught that just because she's out there, in any facet of life, she should get special priviledges and the world should treat her as if her #### doesn't stink. If people are unhappy, accept it, keep doing your best and move on.

In other words, she won't be coddled and she'll be ahead in life knowing how the world really works.

I agree with you 100%...really....but I'm not talking about how your kid will handle it, I'm sure she'd be fine. I'm talking about you....and I would love to be there. rolleyes.gif I promise that you will NOT be a rational man....LOL!! That "line" will be right there!! I chuckle at the image of the calm, cool and collected JR...melting some poor booing kid into the bleachers with his stare!!

Full Disclosure: With my wife pulling me back, I nearly waded my old ### into a group in the stands at MSU in Hattiesburg 2 years back who were beyond my "line"....they would have killed me! But interestingly, they stopped immediately and grumbled. IF they would have challenged me I would have looked like this...........lookaround.gif!

And BTW, just like you....my youngin' (and his BD gang) handled it (what he heard of it) with poise and amusement.

For some reason this topic reminded me of an article about an opposite issue. You all may enjoy reading it as a contrast to the alleged problem in drum corps.

The problem the writer talks about is over-use of the standing ovation at Broadway shows:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/21/nyregion/standing-ovations-a-broadway-epidemic.html?_r=1

A "teaser" snippet from the essay:

"I would like to make the case, officially and urgently, for the return of the sitting ovation. Because we really have reached the point at which a standing ovation doesn’t mean a thing. Pretty much every show you attend on Broadway these days ends with people jumping to their feet and beating their flippers together like captive sea lions when the zookeeper arrives with a bucket of fish. This is true even for doomed stinkers that find the casts taking their curtain calls with the pale, hopeless mien of patients who have just received a terminal diagnosis.

The S.O. (if I may so refer to a phenomenon that no longer warrants the respect of its full name) has become a reflexive social gesture, like shaking hands with the host at the end of a party.

Or, to put it in cruder and more extreme terms, it’s like having sex with someone on the first date, whether you like the person or not, because you think it’s expected."

I am not defending the booing, or defending their lack of class; I am defending their right to boo and their right to have no class. People here in the United States in general can show lack of class on just about everything. Try booing Ahmadinejad in Iran, especially if you are a woman, and see what happens. Booing is called exercising "freedom" whether you think it sad or not.

Agree with you. But it is still poor behavior. Not illegal behavior.

Don't forget the booing and lack of response when Cadets said "under God"...

Oh yes, that's right, I do remember! Pssh, The Cadet’s show was very heartfelt and when I say the “Pledge of Allegiance” I will say God! Oh my, those top corps always have some kind of criticism don’t they? They have a religious theme in their show this year; I haven't heard any complaining "yet".

There was A LOT of booing going on that year, (2002). The Cavies took first, The Machine was fantastic, IMO. I don't remember them getting booed at all.

BD got 2nd, tons of boos, as expected. I was just crying my eyes out because it was an age-out year for my son and I didn't want it to be over. I loved that show, no amount of boo's could ruin that night for me. Fortunately, I am such a vocal fan I think people sitting around me may have been afraid to boo! :smile: I yelled my son's name out so loud you can hear it on the DVD. There were a lot of boo's elsewhere though.

Moms get upset. I don’t think that will ever change, I had two kids on the field last year. It’s hard, I won’t lie. I read some of the reviews BK gets and try to remember: “Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be darned if you do, and darned if you don't”. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt. IMO, I think that’s how the kids roll!

As far as BD kids getting “booed” they know it’s going to happen, it has for over a decade. That doesn’t stop kids from everywhere wanting to be with BD; or to try out to perform with them. Being a Blue Devil, in of itself, is like putting a target on your back but like it or not they get the scores. When all is said and done when you tell a drum corps fan or the kids in a high school band you performed with the Blue Devils they don’t think BOO, most think WOW! I don’t think the kids regret or get their feelings hurt when performing with one of the top corps when they get booed, they just think, we kicked ###.

I don’t believe the judges pay attention to the boo’s when the scores are announced. I wonder if there is a more productive way to show displeasure in the way they score. Can they receive letters; can there be so many complaints submitted against a particular judge they can be audited? Are there rules or criteria set up to evaluate a judge’s performance? Just a thought!

... Fortunately, I am such a vocal fan I think people sitting around me may have been afraid to boo! :smile: I yelled my son's name out so loud you can hear it on the DVD. There were a lot of boo's elsewhere though.

Moms get upset. I don't think that will ever change,

Sound to me that if I look up "Band Mom" in the dictionary I'll find your picture next to the definition.

I'm hoping you didn't cover up some melodic ballad with your screams.

I wonder what's mor embarassing for the kids, hearing boo's for a whole season, or listening to your screams every time he plays his age-out show for the rest of his life?

:blink:

EDIT: I don't boo. I sulk and eat hot dogs.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1