DCI 30 years ago, and the decline of Drum Corps.

A band director has discouraged his kids to march corps because... (pick a reason). But, now that there is an alignment between DCI and BOA, that band director starts sending his kids to corps tryouts?

'splain that to me.

Someone got paid off or DCI is doing so bad they're "carwling on their hands and knees" or kissing BOAs ### for help.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

A band director has discouraged his kids to march corps because... (pick a reason). But, now that there is an alignment between DCI and BOA, that band director starts sending his kids to corps tryouts?

'splain that to me.

I have no problems with a strategic alliance, but let's be honest here. BOA caters to a very small number of competing high school bands, let alone a minuscule fraction of high school bands in general. What DCI needs to be doing is expanding the alliance to the regional circuits (much like what they have started with Tournament of Bands), but provide even more incentive and resources to those circuits.

BOA gets a lot more credit than it truly deserves when it comes to "bands in America". I'm a fan, but I also realize that participation in BOA is unrealistic for the vast majority of band programs.

• Like 1

I have been on MANY staffs, and consult with one currently. I have donated...not just FINANCIALLY but giving of my TIME. I feel reflection upon the state of affairs is relevant, and if these facts bother you, so be it. But fact it remains.

...and I GREW UP in this activity at an early age. From age 10 on I marched until age 21, with The Saints, the then Garfield Cadets, and then as a member of the Bayonne Bridgemen my final 4 years. So, it saddens me to see so FEW opportunities for kids today to march, and THAT is the point and fact.

Just wondering what was in this post to draw 5 red negatives?

Let's see...

He's been on many staffs

Currently consulting with one

donates time and money

sad that more kids can't march

Yep - that's terrible. Hang him...

wow....

• Like 1

Its not all black and white. Things are not all " OK " in DCI ..and likewise, perhaps its not on death's door either. DCI itself " must change or be left behind" too. Its now off the cherished and valued national TV spots it omce had. ESPN looked at its national viewewrship numbers when they broadcasted DCI Finals and were not impressed. PBS found that its newer music educators base don't contribute bucks to PBS like previous decades fans used to and dropped DCI. DCI needs to change with ( your words ) " an EXTREME home makeover ", or it won't even find The Home Shopping Network interested in a delayed broadcast arrangement of its Championship Finals. Don't kid yourself that " DCI is fine " and that it can have its standard bearer Champion in performance receiving current golf claps from its small niche fan base.

2 things wrong with your statement.

1) DCI realized that the ESPN product which was dictated by ESPN was too expensive to produce and the cost to DCI of having it aired on ESPN was to prohibitive to continue so they chose to stop after 2 years.

2) PBS got tired of DCI fans making all kinds of pledges during the DCI broadcast which they never bothered following up with actually sending the money to PBS. This is why PBS dropped DCI from their schedule.

I agree somewhat with the OP. There are less kids participating in the activity today. Due to a lot of issues, mainly economy, this has happened. The quality of performers is much better today than 20 years ago. It's just too bad there aren't more kids participating.

2) PBS got tired of DCI fans making all kinds of pledges during the DCI broadcast which they never bothered following up with actually sending the money to PBS. This is why PBS dropped DCI from their schedule.

Also regardless of unpaid pldges PBS found new Pledge Night programming that brought in more money. IOW - PBS didn't just sit on it's butt and do same old-same old, they actively kept looking for better ideas.

• Like 1

Also regardless of unpaid pldges PBS found new Pledge Night programming that brought in more money. IOW - PBS didn't just sit on it's butt and do same old-same old, they actively kept looking for better ideas.

right, and if the Drum Corps fans had actually sent in their pledges PBS would have not had a reason to look for different programming to bring in more money, because the Drum Corps show would have been a cash cow. So we, the fans, are the most to blame for losing the PBS broadcast.

Of those corps, I have been entertained (TRULY ENTERTAINED) by Suncoast and Star. and Star left on their own. I have nostalgic reverence for Bridgemen and 27th, however I cannot imagine DCI today with either of those 2 corps in doing well. They would probably fit in that same Troopers realm where they are loved for their historical significance and much less for their current contributions to the activity. <flame suit on>

Dutch Boy made finals once.....how did they forever change the activity?

I am so glad you have enlightened us by letting us know where these corps may or may not place.

since you're so good with predicting, can you let us know when Crown gets #1 and SCV gets another?

• Like 1

Yeah....I've only been around a couple decades. I apologize for not giving a flip when there were starting guns and ridiculous ### inspections of how shiny the buttons on the jacket were.

no one held a gun to your head and made you a) read the thread and b) reply.

just saying

hmnn.. with an arrogant, elitist, ( and probably factually incorrect comment as well ) attitude as this, I'm not so sure " everything is fine today with DCI ". Some of us wish that arrogant posters like you AND the OP for this thread would BOTH dial it back a bit. Both of you display intolerant hostilities to those who like their Drum Corps just a lit bit different than others. And don't kid yourself, LOTS of " educated Music Majors " would not have a clue as to what the theme of some of these Corps were without it being verbally explained to them before or after the performance... but clearly not by performance alone.

I'm thinking you missed sarcasm

• Like 1