Carolina Crown 2013

I couldn't stomach the singing in 04 and went to the restroom as I will each and every time there is singing.

If you're going to the bathroom that much, you may want to consult a doctor..... just saying

• Like 3

Remember, voice has been around almost 30 years now in drum corps. I believe 1985, when BD added the vocals in, it made a great impact and difference in their percussion feature they have used the prior seasons. This is not new.

I think vocals were used even before 1985 (wasn't the "Amen" controversy in the late 1970s?). And while some people may not care for voice at all in drum corps, others don't mind it until it's amplified, and one singer or speaker can suddenly be as loud as an entire section with just the turn of a knob.

• Like 1

Crown doesn't chop up the pieces, but rather layer them or blend them well together.

Lastly, Crown is certainly not copying BD or going down that path.

I disagree. While Klesch is a genius at blending songs together into magical ballads (2008, 2009, 2011), Crown's general style has been to play songs in clear chunks. And their straight ballads are often even more powerful (2007, 2010, 2012). The material this year is far closer to BD's arrangement style than has ever been the case with Crown.

The biggest shock for me is the uniforms. Not a fan.

I'm cool with the dramatic change. The cream had gotten to be a bit much with the 2010-2012 uni. And with Cadets going all cream/white/whatever, Crown could use some distinction. The off-kilter lines and the awesome new plume are excellent touches. And I even like the crazy gloves and 3/4 sleeves.

Remember, voice has been around almost 30 years now in drum corps. I believe 1985, when BD added the vocals in, it made a great impact and difference in their percussion feature they have used the prior seasons. This is not new.

I love voice in drum corps. Amplified voice is what's ugly. You cannot mix acoustic and amplified audio well in a football-stadium setting. It's not possible with million-dollar audio setups, much less with the $10k the corps spend on their PAs and mixers. Personally, I am probably going to enjoy Crown's show anyway because of the source material, but I expect it to be controversial and in my perfect world it would not be legal to do. However, if they are going to incorporate the EotB voice elements into the show through the amps, they'd better have the balls to do it live.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not. I saw the video of the runthru (thanks to an awesome DCPer!) and the beginning of the show has me confused. The 1-5-1 (first 3 notes of 2001: A Space Odyssey fanfare) that gets repeated a few times during the "counting". Is that played with a brass patch on the synth? It might have just been the recording, but it sounds drastically different than when the actual hornline enters. If it IS synth, I guess my question is..... Why?

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not. I saw the video of the runthru (thanks to an awesome DCPer!) and the beginning of the show has me confused. The 1-5-1 (first 3 notes of 2001: A Space Odyssey fanfare) that gets repeated a few times during the "counting". Is that played with a brass patch on the synth? It might have just been the recording, but it sounds drastically different than when the actual hornline enters. If it IS synth, I guess my question is..... Why?

No brass patch on the synth...it's the staging of 3 trumpet players. They are playing each note antiphonally which over the recording is making those pitches sound strange! Just wait until you hear it live!

I love voice in drum corps. Amplified voice is what's ugly. You cannot mix acoustic and amplified audio well in a football-stadium setting. It's not possible with million-dollar audio setups, much less with the $10k the corps spend on their PAs and mixers.

Yea that is what I mean. If the whole corps does an acoustic vocal thing it's cool but when they pick Mr. Microphone it's time to hit the souvie wagons.

No brass patch on the synth...it's the staging of 3 trumpet players. They are playing each note antiphonally which over the recording is making those pitches sound strange! Just wait until you hear it live!

Ok, that's relieving. I don't know what kind of backlash would potentially occur if it was indeed a synth patch. Thanks for clearing that up!

Although none of us are in on the design discussions of CC, one might guess that the subject has come up in that room concerning what it is that BD is doing that is over "one point better" than CC in 2nd place years and three points in other recent years. I say it's uniqueness of design. I think the judges are just looking for a reason (particularly in those 2nd place years).... PR gave it to them in 08... CC has not....yet. Yeah, their percussion and guard are weaker most years than BD, but IMO those are only factors and incidental to the outcome. I have a feeling this is the year that CC embraces that uniqueness in design.

well then it's no so unique now is it?

• Like 1

well then it's no so unique now is it?

QFT. It's like CC got mad about 2nd place to a "weird" show, so they followed suite. Can't say I'm very impressed visually so far either. Yeah some cool licks in the brass line (as always) but the WAY slowed down drill compared to last year and weird dance intro before touching the instruments (also of note, Michael Rosales is on staff with Crown now...who prior worked with Bluecoats in 2011 with a weird dance intro before touching the instruments). So there's that.

I love Crown 2013 narration et al

• Like 3