Carolina Crown 2013

Some people are just stuck in the past about parades. Or they think that drum corps kids are robots who have no emotions and no desire to have fun, or that rehearsal is the most fun part of our days. I think it's great that Crown can cut loose and have fun during parades. The kids in the crowd seem to love it, and since parades are for community outreach instead of competition, more power to them. I wish more corps would take the example of Crown and make parades fun. Same with encores. Drum corps can be fun people, I promise. It doesn't have to all be serious all of the time.

F YA.

Perfection.

Moving away from the "controversial" parade videos of past and present; I must say the percussion section is absolutely brilliant to watch during the drum feature. I honestly wish the energy was found similarly throughout the show. They seem to be quite clean during that section too! I am absolutely amazed at this show each and every time I see it!

I just want to say that Crown's show this year is really something special. I was lucky enough to see them at DCI West (thanks so much for making the trek out to California) and I found myself jumping up at the end muttering an awed holy sh** under my breath. It's been a while since a corps has moved me so much with their performance, which is all the more impressive considering how early in the season this was. I am truly sad that I won't get to experience this show live again, especially as I know it will improve by leaps and bounds by the end of the season. Such is the curse of the California drumcorps fan! After the show in Stanford, they arced up and played the parade music as well as the closer from the show, which I LOVE. What a powerful hornline.

I fail to see why anyone would take issue with their parade performance; kudos to them for reaching out to the crowd. This is simply more fun both for the corps members and the audience.

Keep doing what you're doing, Crown. Wish I could make it out to finals to see you again.

• Like 4

Some people are just stuck in the past about parades. Or they think that drum corps kids are robots who have no emotions and no desire to have fun, or that rehearsal is the most fun part of our days. I think it's great that Crown can cut loose and have fun during parades. The kids in the crowd seem to love it, and since parades are for community outreach instead of competition, more power to them. I wish more corps would take the example of Crown and make parades fun. Same with encores. Drum corps can be fun people, I promise. It doesn't have to all be serious all of the time.

Yea I agree! If you think about it all the people in parades wave and try to get the people along the route excited but the drum corps and bands just look straight ahead etc. Why not wave to the crowd and enjoy yourself? As fas as i know Parades are no longer judged competitions like back in the early 70's.

Yea I agree! If you think about it all the people in parades wave and try to get the people along the route excited but the drum corps and bands just look straight ahead etc. Why not wave to the crowd and enjoy yourself? As fas as i know Parades are no longer judged competitions like back in the early 70's.

There are the select few that are "judged" for a prize but that's a rarity. I remember having tons of fun (not the parade itself, we made our own fun) and tons of kids/families lighting up when we smiled and waved. If they want to be relaxed and have fun, let them. Those kids work #### hard and deserve the break!

I hope they will play the last note of the ballad longer than a few seconds.....it gives me goosebumps as is....i can't imagine what it will do to me if they hold that note longer than they already do!

Well since the video (which is on Vine not Vimeo btw ?) is a total of 7 secs out of the parade -- umm -- let me think about that...hmmm......no.

There's a youtube video of Crown at the parade. Go watch it (with your clipboard in hand). Meanwhile both the kids AND the parade crowd had a GREAT experience. Now go watch the parade videos from Bristol in the past few years. O.M.G. The HORROR... I'm sure you've already broken your pencil.

I suggest you talk to a member of Crown about their parade experiences, I think you'll find that the "tic" in that video is just...irrelevant.

Crown is literally the only drum corps I know where the members CAN'T WAIT to march in a parade. They consider the 4th a HIGHLIGHT of the season.

Your comment about "doing it well" is just far afield. Crown *does* do their parades well -- extremely well -- with more respect for the spectators than you can imagine. And -- invariably -- the spectators LOVE THEM for it.

As I said earlier -- there are some who just don't 'get it'.

There is a major difference between "some who just don't 'get it.'" and those who who just don't agree.

I have known Kevin Smith since the time he was still on L.I. as Director of the St. James Saints in the 1970's-1980's before he and Maureen were transferred South.

The only time I have ever known him to scream or witnessed him yelling at the corps members were both at the Bristol parade on Hope Street when Crown kids were losing all structure and balance according to him in their "celebratory" style which was frightening to some little locals. Even the esteemed EVD was struggling to regain their focus so that all did not become chaos at a certain house party..

As someone who has donated to Crown annually, has been a consultant at times, has taught a number of their present design team and instructors when they marched and who is still privileged to call a number of them friends whom we embrace when we see each others at shows, I certainly do "get Crown's approach."

But please, don't be so much of a homer to deny that each style whether celebratory or impersonal/military has its limits because humans are the performers and humans have limits.

Drilltech1 is not completely right, but neither is he wrong. It's not a black or white dichotomy. Because you don't like the impersonal style doesn't mean the celebratory is perfect either. Be fair with both eyes. Each is appropriate for its own circumstance. What that circumstance is is not an infallible decision, as witnessed by the horns up and down by the rest of the corps peers at Crown.

I for one am going to enjoy the narrowing to finals this year a LOT>

• Like 1

is the rotating triangle in the closer, a prism with light passing through (i.e., flags used to show to light passing through)?

:ph34r:

I did not think of it that way. THANK YOU. (Being serious, not sarcastic).

I would bet that's what it's supposed to be.