Back in the good ol' days...

Not quite sure what drum corps will be like in 2033, but pretty sure there will be plenty of old school drum corps grumps complaining about it on DCP . Hey, that's how this activity grows!

I'd like to think DCP/the internet would have involved by 2033.

Then all of us really old dinos can complain about that too

"I remember back in the in the day, when we had to convey our drum corps feelings by typing on a keyboard, none of this dictation/mind manipulation stuff: we had to WORK to complain!! Of course, that was back when all we had was "Internet 1st Gen," where everything was insanely slow, not like today.

Also, I'll be dammed if Hop still hasn't figured out how to use periods and paragraphs!!"

:tongue:/>

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 2

My hometown had a good marching band...they played well. They are gone. In fact, there are only few marching bands that compete nowadays.

In 1970's there were tons of corps in NY State. Today...NO juniors and 3 or 4 Seniors. Big difference.

I could get what he was saying if the activity was growing. Look at the number of corps today, and look at the number of corps 30 years ago. How many fewer marching members do we have today? How many fewer will there be in another 20 years?

To be fair, I could totally see BD doing a "Harry Potter" show. (But won't it be retro in 2033? :devil:/> )

first paragraph win.

second paragraph...come on, they'll have rebooted the series and storyline at least 6 times by then like Superman, batman, Spiderman etc

• Like 1

My hometown had a good marching band...they played well. They are gone. In fact, there are only few marching bands that compete nowadays.

In 1970's there were tons of corps in NY State. Today...NO juniors and 3 or 4 Seniors. Big difference.

You must be on the East Coast.... Lots of that been happening in that part of the country. Marching band is BIG in other parts of the country for sure!

Seems like the further East you go, the harder it gets in this regard.

Great points on both sides by this young man. The main point that I think we all need to take, is to stop spending so much time b!%@#ing and moaning about what was and what is now, and just support the kids and the activity that we all have loved, participated in, or still do love or participate in currently.

Edited by ibexpercussion
  • Like 1

Not quite sure what drum corps will be like in 2033, but pretty sure there will be plenty of old school drum corps grumps complaining about it on DCP . Hey, that's how this activity grows!

Well, if the old school grumps attend shows and open their wallets the activity will grow! But yes, the current generation will become Old School Grumps. However, it usually comes earlier than most aspects of aging. Cholesterol problems, blood pressure issues, weight gain due to slowing metabolism seem to begin about 40, at least they did for me. Old School Grumpism begins when those marching think you're old which for an 18 or 19 year old, 25 is the beginning of old age, for age outs, it's 30.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

You must be on the East Coast.... Lots of that been happening in that part of the country. Marching band is BIG in other parts of the country for sure!

Seems like the further East you go, the harder it gets in this regard.

30 years ago the district I teach in had one high school with a competitive marching band. Now there are five high schools with competitive marching bands (by that I mean there was literally only one high school in the district, with a huge highly competitive marching band, and now there are five high schools in the district, each with pretty competitive marching bands)

Well, if the old school grumps attend shows and open their wallets the activity will grow! But yes, the current generation will become Old School Grumps. However, it usually comes earlier than most aspects of aging. Cholesterol problems, blood pressure issues, weight gain due to slowing metabolism seem to begin about 40, at least they did for me. Old School Grumpism begins when those marching think you're old which for an 18 or 19 year old, 25 is the beginning of old age, for age outs, it's 30.

Kids..... :devil:

Way I see it, if it's not to your liking and others do like it, then it's a matter of taste. And heavens knows if companies cater to my taste they're gonna go under. So I wish the activity the best even if I won't be watching what's going on now.

And to make sure.... that is not a flame.... I do wish it luck, lot of other things I don't follow like I used to also.

30 years ago the district I teach in had one high school with a competitive marching band. Now there are five high schools with competitive marching bands (by that I mean there was literally only one high school in the district, with a huge highly competitive marching band, and now there are five high schools in the district, each with pretty competitive marching bands)

You're currently in SoCal, right? So many new schools popped up there.