Another Cadets2 ?

There have been many conversations about the changes in drumcorps, over the past few years. Since my humble beginnings in this activity in 1968, I have lived through most of them. The ONE change that has been detrimental is not the key of the horns used, the addition of a grounded pit or electronics or even narration. It is the touring model and it's cost! It's just my uneducated opinion folks, but what if drumcorps were not forced by circumstances to move 3 or 4 busses and two semi tractor/trailers halfway across the country, in order to compete? There are apparently 7 or 8 DCI corps who can sustain that expense on a yearly basis. (sarcasm implied) In the meantime, corps are dropping off the map, as the circuit in question increasingly becomes a "rich mans game". Somebody here with more knowlege and experience than I have, may have a different take on things. I'd be interested in reading their opinions.

• Like 5

Gave you a GREEN vote!

There have been many conversations about the changes in drumcorps, over the past few years. Since my humble beginnings in this activity in 1968, I have lived through most of them. The ONE change that has been detrimental is not the key of the horns used, the addition of a grounded pit or electronics or even narration. It is the touring model and it's cost! It's just my uneducated opinion folks, but what if drumcorps were not forced by circumstances to move 3 or 4 busses and two semi tractor/trailers halfway across the country, in order to compete? There are apparently 7 or 8 DCI corps who can sustain that expense on a yearly basis. (sarcasm implied) In the meantime, corps are dropping off the map, as the circuit in question increasingly becomes a "rich mans game". Somebody here with more knowlege and experience than I have, may have a different take on things. I'd be interested in reading their opinions.

I sense the extended touring model came more from necessity over any other option, as one scenario.

With corps no longer having a local membership base the cost of parking the corps (with all the non local members/staff, etc.) and no income arriving to offset the expenses (lengthy housing expense, as example) of doing so, creates a problem.

Maintaining a corps on the road performing maintains an income source to potentially offset the tour (some if not all) expense; rather than parking the corps creating expenses with no income flow.

That, in part, (IMHO) is the elephant in the room with not having a locally based membership.

.....and all that information and 47 cents still only gets ya a senior cup of coffee at the local McDonald's.

DCA has lasted because of the weekend's only concept (yes I know the older members work during the week). But still, this concept works and it needs to be looked at seriously for the survival of drum corps. Can DCA and DCI work together to encourage the lower tier DCI corps to work with DCA and bolster DCA shows? In the Mid West and California DCI has accomodated DCA corps in shows, how about the same for DCA accomodating DCI corps. I think it is a win/win situation. The DCI corps can still compete at the World Championships if they have the finances. Why not? They can also have a championship at DCA championships. Of course this brings up the extended season that DCA has (going into Labor Day)....could it still work? I think YES!

DCA has lasted, for sure, but looking at the corps that have died in the Northeast the past 10-15 years or so, they need to be careful as much as DCI.

However, I do agree with the idea of DCI Open class and DCA working together where possible. I'm just not sure how much of a logistical load DCA can take on. It is a much smaller organization than DCI.

As for DCA champs, the Labor Day weekend date is a problem for much of the country in that school years start in August for many schools, both K-12 and Colleges.

If there were another DCI corps to make a DCA corps, Id like to see it in the midwest (phantom, cavies) or south (crown, spirit). Try to grow DCA in those regions a bit more. It would be nice to grow the west too but the only corps out there already have their feeder corps.

If there were another DCI corps to make a DCA corps, Id like to see it in the midwest (phantom, cavies) or south (crown, spirit). Try to grow DCA in those regions a bit more. It would be nice to grow the west too but the only corps out there already have their feeder corps.

let's be honest...there's not many NE DCI corps left to start a DCA corps with. It would almost have to be out of the region.

Pioneer. This is something I actually have discussed with some people.

• Like 3

Why not just have a junior division of DCA? Seems like the logical way to go. Nowadays DCA isn't just about being all-age, it's about the weekend-only format that DCI has pretty much abandoned. There's no reason why junior corps can't capitalize on that while being separate from the all-age corps to make everyone happy.

As for DCA champs, the Labor Day weekend date is a problem for much of the country in that school years start in August for many schools, both K-12 and Colleges.

That's one thing that I'm surprised has not changed since the 70s. When I marched my part of PA started public school right after Labor Day and only problem was college band camp the week before Labor Day Weekend. Now we start a week or so before Labor Day and some earlier than some colleges. Wonder how many college ad HS aged people don't march because they will not be able to make DCA Weekend.

"any age that the corps themselves sets"

has a ring to it

"Each group sets their own ####### rules corps" :devil::tongue: