The next non-Cadevaliers corps to win the gold

Blue Devils, Cadets and Cavaliers have collectively dominated the top spot in August for the past 30+ seasons. Who are your 4 choices to be the next non-Cadevaliers champion? Not referring necessarily to 2013 season. List in order of likelihood and why...

Crown- momentum, brass, maturing design team

SCV- Dream team staff should be getting better together each season and attracting more talent

Phantom- has the potential every year and has developed a magnificent guard. Visual is huge with judging system.

Bluecoats - consistently strong brass and percussion. Just need that one strong design. ( my personal pick for gold in 2010). Don't hit me.

I think Crown is the obvious choice. They haven't been below 4th since 2008 (Cadets can't even say that). They've got their "formula" down. Now just need a bit of extra magic on the design end and hope that BD has a slightly off year.

Certainly Crown, Phantom, and SCV will be in the mix. Bluecoats, too.

I have always wondered, however, that if the Crossmen could eventually keep some of the best players/marchers from Texas in state, and if they could utilize that talent with their excellent staff, perhaps we would see a new POWER in DCI. With the right recruiting and design and funding, I believe the Crossmen could be (in theory) a monster-in-the-making.

In reality, it certainly seems that Crown is poised to be that corps. I thought they should have won last year. They have the maturity of sound, style, show design, and performance quality. It's just a matter of the judges seeing it. They have had some issues with GE, but often this is in the eye of the beholder.

I need to see it from SCV before I believe it. They certainly have what we would call "name" staff. People who have been there, done it, and been very successful in their respective areas. But chemistry is important, and there is plenty of up-and-coming talent in this industry (always will be). The Cadets have gone through many key staff changes over the years (decades), but they still win and consistently place top 5. The Bluecoats have had many changes but continue to be very good and very competitive, and their brass and percussion have not taken a back seat after losing some key staff members.

I honestly think Phantom will win again before SCV. I could also see Madison making a push. They have had 3 very successful years back in the top 12 and now just need to make that push to top 5. Could this be the year?

• Like 3

This is going to be a tough task not matter what. Look at how many corps in the last 12 years have managed to get into the top 6, but never quite developed into a championship corps. Glassmen, Boston, Blue Knights, Bluecoats, and Crown. Crown has come close a couple of times, and Bluecoats have also edged their way up as well. So probably Crown, Bluecoats, Phantom and SCV would be the most likely choices. Corps like Spirit, Troopers, and Blue Stars also once manged top 4 positions, but have never quite redeveloped to where they once were. It would also be kind of cool to see a corps that was top 4 in the 70s, come back and take the title.

But there is a reason that Cavies, Cadets and BD have won all those titles. And while it might be possible to beat one of them, and Crown has beaten 2 of them in different seasons, to beat all 3, in the same season, is an unbelievably difficult task. I think it would be cool if SCV won this year, followed by 2014 Crown, 2015 Bluecoats, 2016 Blue Stars, 2017 Spirit, 2018 Troopers, 2019 Pioneer, and 2020 Colts. Not gonna happen, but would be cool to see some of the corps that have given so much to the activity have a championship season.

• Like 2

So many choices, SCV, Bluecoats, anyone but Crown!

• Like 9

This time last year nearly everyone picked Crown as a favorite, and I will admit, I was in the "nearly everyone" category and thought they should have won semi's. Last year there was also a great deal of Crown hype to get the momentum going, and I saw Crown six times last season not including Fan Network and I will say, they did not fail to please me and for me at least, lived up to the hype.

This year there is enthusiasm but it feels different. It feels more like confidence so I am thinking Crown will be the next new champion and it could even be this year.

Now as far as SCV and Phantom are concerned, last summer SCV fet like the SCV I've loved in the past, and that was the SCV that was either winning or nipping at the heels of the champion. If Phantom has a good number of returning members, then they could be unstoppable.

Now I saw one poster mention Bluecoats and BAC.I believe BAC will surprise people this summer. Bluecoats will no doubt have a strong show and I hope it gets recognition and does not go in the "most underrated" category it found itself in last year. Both corps have solid leadership and well thought out plans for future growth, so it could happen. Since I love an underdog, I'd be more than happy to shout "Bloo" if Bluecoats won, and if BAC was the next new corps to win a DCI title, well not only do I love BAC, I've been waiting for a DCI title to come to Massachusetts since 1980 when 27th was in contention, and would have no problem with BAC avenging 27th's second place finish.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

I think if we're simply talking about the NEXT champions not called Cadets, Cavaliers or Blue Devils, I think its clearly most likely to be Crown. They have two silver medals in the last 4 years, and have had the most consistent placement in the top four of any of the groups in discussion. They just need the design to match the performers.

The more interesting conversation, I think, is who becomes the next group to crack into the medalist spots. Coats grabbed the bronze in 2010, but haven't been able to get back there. Phantom and Vanguard have been up and down a lot over the last decade. There's definitely potential for movement in the top 6. Last year proved that the upper level groups are vulnerable. Maybe we'll see a whole new top 3 in the next 10 years.

• Like 1

Blue Devils, Cadets and Cavaliers have collectively dominated the top spot in August for the past 30+ seasons. Who are your 4 choices to be the next non-Cadevaliers champion? Not referring necessarily to 2013 season. List in order of likelihood and why...

Crown- momentum, brass, maturing design team

SCV- Dream team staff should be getting better together each season and attracting more talent

Phantom- has the potential every year and has developed a magnificent guard. Visual is huge with judging system.

Bluecoats - consistently strong brass and percussion. Just need that one strong design. ( my personal pick for gold in 2010). Don't hit me.

My probability rankings:

1. Crown - Barring some organizational collapse, I think they'll win within the next 3 years. They're not just "playing the game" well; they're bringing a lot of fresh ideas and risk to their shows.

2. Phantom - Extremely close second in my book. Not many people expected them to be as competitive as they've been since 2011, but they've built a solid foundation musically and visually. I'm starting to second guess putting Crown ahead of them ...

3. SCV - Not a big drop-off from Crown/Phantom either. Starting to get consistent in all captions.

4. Bluecoats - I'm a little conflicted. I love that this group goes for riskier design elements, and they've got the horses musically. I like what they're going for visually -- much more then SCV -- but I doubt the judges do.

Honorable mention to Scouts. They've figured out some great design elements while staying true to their historic image.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

This time last year nearly everyone picked Crown as a favorite, and I will admit, I was in the "nearly everyone" category and thought they should have won semi's. Last year there was also a great deal of Crown hype to get the momentum going, and I saw Crown six times last season not including Fan Network and I will say, they did not fail to please me and for me at least, lived up to the hype.

This year there is enthusiasm but it feels different. It feels more like confidence so I am thinking Crown will be the next new champion and it could even be this year.

Now as far as SCV and Phantom are concerned, last summer SCV fet like the SCV I've loved in the past, and that was the SCV that was either winning or nipping at the heels of the champion. If Phantom has a good number of returning members, then they could be unstoppable.

Now I saw one poster mention Bluecoats and BAC.I believe BAC will surprise people this summer. Bluecoats will no doubt have a strong show and I hope it gets recognition and does not go in the "most underrated" category it found itself in last year. Both corps have solid leadership and well thought out plans for future growth, so it could happen. Since I love an underdog, I'd be more than happy to shout "Bloo" if Bluecoats won, and if BAC was the next new corps to win a DCI title, well not only do I love BAC, I've been waiting for a DCI title to come to Massachusetts since 1980 when 27th was in contention, and would have no problem with BAC avenging 27th's second place finish.

The only active corps that Boston has never beaten is the Blue Devils. I agree that Crown would seem to be the next heir apparent at this point. If someone on DCP had said in 1998 (had DCP been around then) that BAC would place 5th just two years later, we would have all thought that person was demented.

Time will tell.

• Like 2