Stanford Showdown

That makes me sick! I never heard a single boo on the west coast.

Finals Week 2007. Fans welcomed the Cadets to Pasadena in some interesting ways.

• Like 2

1371966687[/url]' post='3271812']

Maybe it won't be an actual riot. Maybe the entire audience will not just leave before the encore, they'll leave before the actual finals performance. Hmmm....

Funny you should mention this, this is actually what I'm planning on doing. No point in ending the year with a bad taste in my mouth! :)

1371967291[/url]' post='3271825']

If you look at this years show of Spirit, it kind of takes you back to BD 2009 show. You might not agree but to me it does. Spirit is almost the BD of the South.

This literally could not be more incorrect.

• Like 3

Well for my first time seeing and hearing anything this season through tonight's webcast I can clearly say that this season is going to be a switch every night between crown and bd. This will make for a WAY more entertaining season then last years by far. This year the rivalry gets turned up a notch and I can't wait to watch it all! worthy.gif

I think Cadets will be in that mix also.

• Like 1

Having just watched the show from Stanford I have just a couple of thoughts. SCV was by far the most entertaining corps, followed by Pacific Crest - then Mandarins. BK has a better show than last year for sure. I'm not going to rant about the other two because I know those kids work really hard to put together what their staff gives them. So much talent from BD and Crown again - I just can't watch without cringing. Can't wait to see some live drum corps in San Antonio.

• Like 1

I do feel sorry for the members when people boo. I have been attending shows since 1975. I will admit that my attendance at shows has decreased, especially when there aren't enough programs that I am interested in seeing. I am now not willing to shell out $40 or more dollars to watch something that is not going to entertain me. At the same time, I can appreciate good drill design, playing, and guard work. I don't know the status of the DCI fan base. However, I would be concerned if I was trying to gain a larger audience. I must say thank you to SCV for performing Les Miserables. It reminds of the days when they performed Miss Saigon, Phantom of the Opera, and Carmen.

• Like 2

Regarding "booing" at shows, particularly the recent Crown/Blue Devils episodes from last year and now beginning again this year: the jeering rarely comes from the Crown section at shows where corps have blocks of tickets. I first noticed this at Allentown and later in Indy. My question regarding these so-called Crown fans has been are they cheering for Crown and bitterly disappointed at the results or are they cheering against the Blue Devils? There is a difference and while there can be many opinions regarding Blue Devils shows, but there is also some illogical vitriol and this goes back to the 70's.

As one who proudly hails from Red Sox Nation, I have friends who love going to Major League baseball games in other cities and rooting against the Yankees. I also know when Baltimore had lean years, many Orioles fans began rooting for the Red Sox, not because they had newfound love for their East Coast neighbors to the North, but the Sox had the chance to defeat the Yankees.

Perhaps in Marching Music's Major League, Concord, CA is home of "the Evil Empire" and the Blue Devils are drum corps equivalent to the Yankees.

• Like 2

Having just watched the show from Stanford I have just a couple of thoughts. SCV was by far the most entertaining corps, followed by Pacific Crest - then Mandarins. BK has a better show than last year for sure. I'm not going to rant about the other two because I know those kids work really hard to put together what their staff gives them. So much talent from BD and Crown again - I just can't watch without cringing. Can't wait to see some live drum corps in San Antonio.

I have to say this, although I am breaking a personal code of not criticizing what corps bring to the field (because it is all good in my mind)...just different levels of good: My view is just the opposite.......I personally can't watch without cringing year after year, corps designers bringing the same designs to the field in a slightly different form. I applaud corps like Crown, BD and (apparently) Spirit that are reaching out to the edges and taking their "kids" to new places in design both musically and visually. This activity needs diversity and escape from the sameness of tradition for traditions sake, that is what Stravinsky must have been thinking 100 years ago when he took the risk. Yes, it's true that not every corps has the design chops to pull it off, so they do what they know and what they know is generally not too far from what they did last year. For that reason I am not going to criticize any specific corps.....I simply wish they would make some effort at "different"......because "the kids work really hard to put together what their staff gives them."

Now back to the pissing and moaning about outcomes, always a useful exercise..............blink.gif

If the "average fan" doesn't understand that The Rite of Spring is about pagan rituals ... they don't know much of anything about music. What type of music should they be playing that would be easy for the "average fan" to understand? Classic rock? Show tunes?

The average fan fills up a lot of stadiums across the country. Or used to

• Like 3