Marvelous Minneapolis Matchup

And now for your listening pleasure ... AM radio static.

WE'RE UNDER HEAVY FIRE! INDIA FOXTROT NINER DO YOU COPY?! WE NEED BACKUP!

• Like 1

I hope that wasn't Einstein asking that question. shutup.gif/>

But seriously, is John important, the name? Is he someone in the science community?

Not that I'm aware of as I don't know the history behind it; however, "Lovers On a Park Bench" is a poem written by Samuel Johnson. Philip Glass included parts of this poem in his Opera, "Einstein on the Beach"

You're kidding me with this, right? Give me a break. "I'm not sure the judges even know the music well enough to understand".

Literally everyone with a music degree has spent serious time with "The Rite of Spring". It's basically the equivalent of required reading. This post frankly comes off as patronizing and rather high-and-mighty. The judges perfectly well know the music, thank you.

As for Rite causing a Riot. Yes. That happened. In the early 20th century. Rite of Spring is not some inaccessible monolith now. We've had WAY more "out there" things in the last 50-70 years alone.

Say what you like, but I, for one, have a music degree and I would put money on it that unless a music student is seriously interested in a classical music education and career they probably couldn't remember the piece, let alone what it's about or the complexity of it. Call me patronizing if you like. I think I struck a nerve lol.

Edited by srb30a
  • Like 3

Say what you like, but I, for one, have a music degree and I would put money on it that unless a music student is seriously interested in a classical music education and careet they probably couldn't remember the piece, let alone what it's about or the complexity of it. Call me patronizing if you like. I think I struck a nerve lol.

Well, you certainly don't have a music degree worth a #### if you don't know of this work.

• Like 5

Say what you like, but I, for one, have a music degree and I would put money on it that unless a music student is seriously interested in a classical music education and career they probably couldn't remember the piece, let alone what it's about or the complexity of it. Call me patronizing if you like. I think I struck a nerve lol.

You are definitely not the only person with a music degree on this board, let alone the entirety of the DCI judging community. These are talented music educators. To say they don't "understand" the music presented to them, thats a straight up troll in my mind. If they aren't understanding BD's show, how in the world are they getting Crown's show? If your statement is correct, they aren't understanding anything and just throwing out random numbers to whoever they feel like!

• Like 1

Well, you certainly don't have a music degree worth a #### if you don't know of this work.

You missed the point of this conversation. I know the piece well. I spent a year studyinf this piece in school.

• Like 1

I have a M.M. in Wind Conducting and studied the piece for a semester. That being said I don't feel like I really understand it.

You are definitely not the only person with a music degree on this board, let alone the entirety of the DCI judging community. These are talented music educators. To say they don't "understand" the music presented to them, thats a straight up troll in my mind. If they aren't understanding BD's show, how in the world are they getting Crown's show? If your statement is correct, they aren't understanding anything and just throwing out random numbers to whoever they feel like!

LOL you might have a point.

I'm not sure the judges even know the music well enough to understand this show.

So last year the audience wasn't sophisticated enough to understand, and now this year even the judges aren't sophisticated enough to understand?

It sounds like the only way to raise the bar next year will be to do a show so sophisticated that they do not understand it themselves. :w00t:

• Like 5