ATLANTA, GA

To Jeto: Yes, when it becomes consistent that year after year the weak link to a corps winning the title is 1 point below the leader. If I were Crown, I'd pay to get a NAME to run that drum line.

If they were having attack issues in the lot playing 8's, that's something I can't understand...how? I agree with you, perhaps they can lure Tom Aungst out of retirement satisfied.gif

At a minimum get a different tech who knows how to clean well (if in fact they were having attack issues playing a basic warm up). Outside of that, my advice would be to involve the percussion writer more in the design of next years show. It's a brass feature with percussion writing "fit in" parts. Integrate the two ala BD.

Atlanta was a great show. Things at the top are still so close that BD, Crown, or Cadets could be our gold medalist. I would love to see SCV medal, and they are less than a point out from Cadets. Exciting stuff, right?

• Like 3

Not getting BD in guard tonight. it was a BAD run for them.

It seems it's all about who's on the panel. Lentz, Torchia, Kelly, Miller havent had Crown up a single time all season. Pretty much everyone else

disagrees. We need to have the ATL visual panel do prelims in Indy and then just get out of town :-) (or better yet -- just not even judge in Indy)

Crown can do this. Keep cleaning visually and the drumline needs to clean like it's the end of the world. A few tenths in perc and a sparkling show...and the magic can happen.

Keep working purplepantsband !!

How about this - make a list of judges who HAVE responded to the performances of the day, and given different results at different shows so far.

How about this - make a list of judges who HAVE responded to the performances of the day, and given different results at different shows so far.

Feel free to do so. cool.gif

Anyway I didn't criticize anyone -- it was just an accurate observation. IMO panel make-up has very much been a factor this season. I think every corps, staff and fan wants a 'favorable' panel for every show. Of course that doesn't happen but it doesn't stop any of them wishing for it.

Amen. They should've been third in achievement last night at LEAST.

• Like 3

It seems it's all about who's on the panel. Lentz, Torchia, Kelly, Miller havent had Crown up a single time all season. Pretty much everyone else

disagrees. We need to have the ATL visualppp panel do prelims in Indy and then just get out of town :-) (or better yet -- just not even judge in Indy)

Crown can do this. Keep cleaning visually and the drumline needs to clean like it's the end of the world. A few tenths in perc and a sparkling show...and the magic can happen.

Keep working purplepantsband !!

I agree that the combination of torchia, Kelly, miller and lentz are my least favorite combination of judges and Definitly benefits some corps more then others.

Bostons guard went from 11th in san antonio to 6th in Atlanta. They had a 1.2 point jump in 1 week, torchia has all other guards improving in the .3 to .6 range during same time frame. Say what you want but that's a huge jump in a single caption.

Head to head the week leading into Atlanta Cavies guard was scoring .8 higher then Boston, as someone pointed out earlier. Suddenly in Atlanta bostons guard goes up 1 point to best the Cavies by .2. Sorry I don't believe it.

And I agree BD guard had a bad run yesterday. There were better guards on that field in Atlanta.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

Is the judge named 'Kelly' actually Mickey Kelly, who used to create the shows for the great Skylarks winter guard in CT? If so, I am not surprised by how he scores, given they type of shows the Skylarks used to do.

Is the judge named 'Kelly' actually Mickey Kelly, who used to create the shows for the great Skylarks winter guard in CT? If so, I am not surprised by how he scores, given they type of shows the Skylarks used to do.

Yes Mike -- Mickey Kellly is still out there judging DCI :-)

If they were having attack issues in the lot playing 8's, that's something I can't understand...how? I agree with you, perhaps they can lure Tom Aungst out of retirement satisfied.gif

At a minimum get a different tech who knows how to clean well (if in fact they were having attack issues playing a basic warm up). Outside of that, my advice would be to involve the percussion writer more in the design of next years show. It's a brass feature with percussion writing "fit in" parts. Integrate the two ala BD.

I agree with you. To others that read my post: These kids are fantastic musicians and work hard. Their talent isn't lacking. I just think Crown's battery has been lacking for a few years now. The Crown snare tech does a great job, and I could tell he was even noticing the attack issues... Not a big deal, unless you place 2nd by < 1 point... There are bigger things in life to be concerned about. Cadets were my favorite drumline, Santa Clara next...Crown will always be special to me though!