If BD Wins, We Riot!

I think it is ok to boo during the scores announcement. To me, that is booing the judging of the corps, and I am absolutely ok with booing during that part. As paying fans of this sport, we are allowed to show our displeasure with the judging.

I would not boo at the end of a corps performance. If there is a show that I do not like, I just will not react at all at the end of the show.

This is true. I think it's the judging that is getting booed and I'm pretty #### sure the corps members know that.

Besides, if you are booing that "Corps X" came in first and you think they deserved second or third, that's not exactly saying that "Corps X" sucked or did a bad job.

Vocalizing your opinion of the results of the show is an expression of passion for the activity. God help us if the drum corps audience becomes passionless.

I don't think ANYONE hates BD as an organization.

Hate, no, that’s too strong of a word but I do dislike them. Mainly that G7, drum corps anti-Christ thing

But I do rather enjoy the annual DCP teeth gnashing as the Blue Devils look poised to win another one coming into the home stretch

And yeah, this show just isn’t’ my thing but it wouldn’t be…I just watched that mediabox ‘Conversations’ thing ….and besides that smooth, hotel jazz intro music, I can’t get past their Program Coordinators, Scott Chandlers’, outfit. The person that picked the look of this show, all the way down to the feathers is wearing a cream shirt, grey pants and a soul patch….we just are not going to agree on tastes

Edited by cowtown

If Madison can bring down the house with YNWA in 2013, I have no doubt BD can win the 2014 championship with thoroughly up-to-date arrangements of any of its monster hits. Or put some Trombone Shorty on the field.

Madison would bring the house down marching up and down the 50 yard line playing "Hot Cross Buns" .. and if they were playing this years BD show it would be praised as brilliant, innovative, creative, Star '93 part II.

Lets be honest here: BD is not liked because they win too much and yes I have heard fans that I know say it.

• Like 7

So your assumption is that none of the booers also email their concerns to the show designers ? That they only do one or the other ? I have no idea if disgruntled show goers email only, don't email, walk away, boo, or boo and email, or amy number of potential combinations. How do you know that booers are not also contacting DCI and/ or Corps directly ? Just curious, thats all.

No, my assertion is that boo'ing is moronic: boo'ing at a show is childish and nonsensical. That's what I'm saying. Boo'ing at a show offers zero intelligible commentary on ANYTHING other "look at me, I can make a noise deeerrrrrp."

Also, I was responding to someone saying

I don't condone booing, but why (sic) I get why people do it. Where else can they go to vent? emailing corps or DCI gets you nowhere.

I was positing that there is indeed another avenue of "venting," or communicating exactly why you're upset, while condemning "boo'ing" as not intelligent discourse of any kind.

And then I further detailed my experience of communicating with DCI employees, corps directors, and designers who actually DID respond with me about my concerns: i.e. I had actual communication. Meaning, "emailing a corps of DCI DID get me somewhere," as I got response, explanation, etc. to my query.

• Like 1

I do care where Corps finish. The competitive part of drum corps is alluring to me. It keeps me interested over an entire summer and gives me something to analyze and enjoy.

In retrospect I probaby should not have conveyed the message that I don't care at all about scores and placements. Bad useage of words above on my behalf. I do care about scores and placements BUT its not as important to me as seeking entertainment from the shows. We are talking here about BD. I don't care about THEIR scores and placements. I would love to be dazzled by their show ... especially musically... as I once was. Thats the frustration. So my remarks about not caring about scores and placements should have better worded in relationship to BD as I was really referring to them when I stated rather clumsily and inarticulately that " I don't care about scores and placements ".

Edited by BRASSO

This is true. I think it's the judging that is getting booed and I'm pretty #### sure the corps members know that.

Besides, if you are booing that "Corps X" came in first and you think they deserved second or third, that's not exactly saying that "Corps X" sucked or did a bad job.

Vocalizing your opinion of the results of the show is an expression of passion for the activity. God help us if the drum corps audience becomes passionless.

I'm sure you realize that the judges are not always on the field when you're "boo'ing" like a child: at most shows the judges are either on their way to the hotel or home, in critique, or just chatting with others. Same with staffers. The only people who are DEFINITELY out there are:

* the show hosts & volunteers (who have zero to do with scores/performances/designs)

* announcer (who has zero to do with scores/performances/designs)

* members/DM (who aren't not writing down numbers or designing their show)

So really, boo'ing might accomplish telling one corps "I liked you better!" and telling another corps "I didn't like you!"

You know what accomplishes that EXACT same thing: applause. Lots of applause for whom you like, little/none of applause for whom you don't like. You'd be showing the same "passion" for the activity and favorite without looking like the slang term for a mule.

• Like 4

But I've NEVER had an email to a director or DCI employee go unanswered.

Perhaps your experience is unique - I have had e-mail to DCI go unanswered. A fan who has purchased tickets for all but one Finals since 1989 (and I mentioned that in the e-mail, so DCI was definitely aware of how much my family, friends, and I have contributed financially in that timeframe) has had their e-mail disappear into a black hole.

Note that I am not commenting on the rest of your well-thought out and well-written e-mail, only this part. I have never tried e-mailing individual corps directors (although I have wanted to), but I definitely have had e-mail to DCI go unanswered.

But on the same token all boo'ing gets you is either smug looks from people who agree with you or dirty looks from people who know your acting like a petulant cry baby. You actually get MORE out of emailing a corps or DCI, because that is actual intelligent discourse: you are explaining exactly what you think is lacking in show designs. How judges are misreading portions of the sheet. How Mike Cesario can do a MUCH better job of convincing designers to connect to fans via design. How you feel attendance growth is stymied by obtuse design that doesn't generate interest in casual fans.

Saying the word "BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" really loud does none of that intelligent conversation, and frankly paints the picture that fan is an idiot who has nothing intelligent to add and thus is not worth even a moment of thought.

I've e-mailed corps directors and designers at times when I've been really upset with something they did (either design, or policy). I've ALWAYS gotten a response back: from Hopkins, from Gibbs, from Fiedler, whomever. In my experience those guys actually respond to coherent correspondence: they've been honest, seemingly grateful for feedback for question, sometimes blunt/brutally honest with "here's why I did X, and if you don't like that I can't do anything about it." But I've NEVER had an email to a director or DCI employee go unanswered. I've even gotten email responses every year from my annual "Live Stream Finals already!!!" dissertations!

Boo'ing garners NONE of that, because it's literally not even a coherent word: it's just an obnoxious noise. It's like watching a baseball game and the home team will ALWAYS boo an away pitcher who steps off the band and tosses a ball to 1st bass, and you even see the pitcher kind of chuckle when the crowd boo's. It's crybaby behavior: communication at the lowest possible form that is less expressive than what infants are capable of communicating.

I agree with this. Not happy with drum corps? Why spend your money on it?! I'm not happy with Metallica and thus I won't be buying their new album, or paying money to see their movie, or waiting in line to see their panel at Comic-Con (they seriously had a panel at Comic-Con a few weeks ago). Money does indeed talk: loud and clear. But in an activity where it seems to me like EVERYONE is trying to do what they personally think is best for the activity (even if it is misguided), I still think the best approach is to drop a well-written email to the corps director(s) you are most upset with. Let them know why you've gone from a satisfied customer to a dissatisfied customer. George Hopkins, Gibbs, et al have been drum corps fans FAR before I was born. Those guys are some heartless CEO looking at bottom dollar figures, they're actual hard core drum corps fans who love some of the same shows we do (and might've actually marched, or designed, or put together some of our favorite shows). They're FAR more understanding than people give them credit for, and all are approachable from my experience.

In a non-profit entertainment industry, being a passive participant is one of the worst things you can do. Next to boo'ing, maybe... :tongue:/>

not going to disagree on booing. But really, you don't get anything out of emailing corps. For many of the corps, the directors aren't involved in the design process. And for those that are, their art means more than whatfans mean if they're in the hunt. as for Michael....I think several corps have heard his message....it's justa few, at the top, don't care. the judges are judging how they're judging it, and it's about the win.

as for peopl going...I'd hate to see it happen, but really, it's the only way the message will get across. I'm a former Friends member. I discontinued. I went to 3 shows over a 4 year period back in the 04-08 range. Honestly, except the year I gave Indy a chance, I've been to at most two shows a year. I know many others who have said the same thing....to corps, to DCI HQ.

it hasn'tchanged anything. Just like the zillions of complaints about INdy hasn't and won't change anything. Really, until the internal BS with the BOD gets resolved one way or another, it won't change. How many people have mocked the TOC stuff...and it stays the same?

Until you have BOD with people on it with ZERO competitive stake in the game, I don't expect anything to change either.