If BD Wins, We Riot!

So, the question that is rattling around in my pea brain is whether drum corps is the right "canvas" for the misunderstood artists to be doing their work on?

Gibbs and Company (the G7) see the great importance of providing a product that people will pay to see--and not just some people, but a LOT of people. That's their goal. Therefore, one could make the argument that the designers MUST have the lowest common denominator related to fans in mind when designing a show. Who is Mr. and Mrs. Drum Corps? What is the general demographic that pays for seats? And, how do we expand that demographic?

I would contend that the masses don't browse this forum or research the backstory to shows. I would bet you on it.

So...what does that say about Gibbs and Company? They won't let the Scouts, Crusaders, et al play their little G7 game, but he counts on other corps to produce shows that are popular and "low brow" to put hineys in the seats so they can do their "art" (and yes, I'm saying "art" with my butt cheeks clenched and using my british accent). Because, I would surmise (pretty confidently) that if you have all the corps at any given show performing what BD puts on the field that the attendance at said show would plummet the following year.

• Like 4

So, the question that is rattling around in my pea brain is whether drum corps is the right "canvas" for the misunderstood artists to be doing their work on?

Gibbs and Company (the G7) see the great importance of providing a product that people will pay to see--and not just some people, but a LOT of people. That's their goal. Therefore, one could make the argument that the designers MUST have the lowest common denominator related to fans in mind when designing a show. Who is Mr. and Mrs. Drum Corps? What is the general demographic that pays for seats? And, how do we expand that demographic?

I would contend that the masses don't browse this forum or research the backstory to shows. I would bet you on it.

So...what does that say about Gibbs and Company? They won't let the Scouts, Crusaders, et al play their little G7 game, but he counts on other corps to produce shows that are popular and "low brow" to put hineys in the seats so they can do their "art" (and yes, I'm saying "art" with my butt cheeks clenched and using my british accent). Because, I would surmise (pretty confidently) that if you have all the corps at any given show performing what BD puts on the field that the attendance at said show would plummet the following year.

I'm not telling anybody what to do about anything. I'm also not calling anyone ignorant or being insistent that you share my view of the work. I'm tremendously ignorant about the politics of the ins and outs of DCI. My son marched SofA, Boston, and Devils. Having aged out, he's on Crossmen's staff. All very different takes on what it means to be a DCI member and fan, and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

you are right about 2 things.....the masses don't visit this forum ( very little ) also if there were shows filled with a BD show attendance would plummet BUT the same would happen if there were shows filled with all corps being the same ( no matter what the show design is ). Who wants to see 12 or 20 of anything the same. Drum corps needs diversity, after all we do need hot dog and bathroom breaks..lol :smile:

That is a good song and so appropriate. Thank you for sharing!

A few thoughts:

This is why the whole concept of booing is stupid. It's completely misdirected. Boo the staff? Well, some of them are down on the edges of the field, some are in the press box, some are in the stands. That won't work. Boo the judges? Yeah, that's what they SAY they're doing, but nobody boos the press box as you suggest. And most judges, as someone pointed out, are already out the door by the time the scores are announced. So who's left? The members on the field. But we're not booing THEM, they say. Well, sorry, but you are. They're the only ones out there and you're booing the wrong people.

Not sure how long it has been since you have been to a drum corps show... but in most cases, the "kids" are not on the field, or even in the stadium, when scores are announced.

And if it's not about BD winning, as many of them say, then why DON'T they boo them during their performance? That's the thing that has people so ticked off, the SHOW. Why NOT boo the show when it's right there in front of them? Easy. Because that would be rude. That would be disrespectful. And by and large, drum corps fans don't do that. They boo when the scores are announced because it's ALL about who wins (or who DOESN'T win). And in this case, it's ALL about BD (possibly) winning. If BD finished 6th this year, this thread wouldn't exist. Even if they still despised the show, which I'm sure they would, it wouldn't have people nearly as riled up. So if the fans can get all ticked off because BD wins, why get all bothered when BD fans and members get all cocky when they DO win? That's all anyone seems to really care about, though they probably won't admit it.

You are almost on the right track.

As far as I can tell, drum corps fans (even the boo-birds) accept diversity in show design. They do not expect every show to be designed to their personal tastes. They do not expect their favorite show to win. They understand that contest results reflect comparative performance quality as well as the content of the shows. So it would be silly to boo the show of one corps simply because they like it less than the other shows.

Now, when it gets to the score announcements, say a corps they thought should have finished 6th ends up winning. What then?

I do not think it has anything to do with "Blue Devils" winning. They have won a great number of championships with more popular shows and better reactions from the audience. If their 2013 show was pleasing fans, and fans felt the show had the requisite combination of content and performance quality to win, there would be no problem.

Earlier, someone suggested that the best way to really get your point across to the staff if you don't like a show is to go get your hot dogs when that corps performs. Let them perform in front of a half-empty house. That's actually something I can get behind because it's far more direct in terms of articulating what the fans are supposedly displeased with, THE SHOW. We all have our hot dog corps anyway. If BD is really the corps with the show that the fans don't like, then why do they sit there and watch it?

How would you know you dislike the show if you do not see it?

you are right about 2 things.....the masses don't visit this forum ( very little ) also if there were shows filled with a BD show attendance would plummet BUT the same would happen if there were shows filled with all corps being the same ( no matter what the show design is ). Who wants to see 12 or 20 of anything the same. Drum corps needs diversity, after all we do need hot dog and bathroom breaks..lol :smile:/>

I kind of liked and still do listening to the different versions of "Children of Sanchez" from 1979 :cool:

Not sure how long it has been since you have been to a drum corps show... but in most cases, the "kids" are not on the field, or even in the stadium, when scores are announced.

At finals they are. That's what I was referring to because we're basically talking about BD possibly winning DCI this year ("If BD WIns, We Riot!").

How would you know you dislike the show if you do not see it?

Obviously, that was a comment directed towards those here who have posted and who have already seen it and decided they don't like it. If they're going to be in attendance at finals, then they can if they choose make their statement that way by leaving their seats during the show (or shows) they know they won't like.

exactly! See, when I sit down to watch a football game, I don't research the stats of the 3rd string receiver on 3rd and long situations on windy days on grass. I sit down to watch a football game.

When I go to a drum corps show, I don't want to have to sit down and read articles or watch online videos to get the super deep hidden meaning as to they the poles on the field are being used now before being sold to strip clubs around northern California.

I judge....and man, you have to make it crystal clear. And If I don't know what I'm seeing, I will ask questions in case I get again...but I also advise people " you may hear this question wek after week" if it's something not clear.

Well, most fans don't get to see shows live more than maybe 2/3 times anymore. I'd love to know from DCI the number of people that buy tickets to more than one show. I'm sure the number is a lot smaller than they want advertised. So you've got to make it clear from day one.

MANY times people get to wrapped up in the story..I think any show ( even with a story ) can come across if it has a few things.....Music that either holds interest, stimulates,has highs and lows etc etc, visually is stimulating either with design and or color, surprise factors etc etc. I think you get the picture. IF people get that from a corps, who the hell cares what the theme is or if I get it. If a show is written to depend on the theme to carry the thoughts out then someone isnt writing for all to get something out of it .

I personally believe if you get the theme or not there have been many shows that I didnt care what the theme was but loved the corps and what they did. FOR ME, thats the sign of a really good show. AND NO it doesnt have to be the toe tapping top 20 or the traditional things we may be used to or comfortable with in our activity ( not that those cant work either for some) JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1