If BD Wins, We Riot!

Why would you assume such a horrible thing about someone?

Why? Because anyone who boos a group of young people performing their hearts out for the audience is self-centered, sophomoric and rude, and they have no idea what drum corps is all about.

The members are talented, dedicated young amateur performers putting out the best performance they can; to boo it is, IMO, a horrible thing to do.

• Like 5

Why? Because anyone who boos a group of young people performing their hearts out for the audience is self-centered, sophomoric and rude, and they have no idea what drum corps is all about.

The members are talented, dedicated young amateur performers putting out the best performance they can; to boo it is, IMO, a horrible thing to do.

Amen brother - you left out stupid.

You are also one who is qualified to inform posters who think they're booing judges...

How much does booing affect the panels? Besides not at all.

You all need a break. listen to this. hehe

It certainly would be, if that is what anyone is doing. But it appears my point was missed entirely.

I am asking why, as we appear to be in agreement that actually booing the actual performers would indeed be a horrible thing to do, you would assume that to be the only possible explanation of the behavior of a person you don't even know. Am I not correct that you have persisted in that assumption?

Now I'm sure they'll be someone somewhere that'll tell us that they were at some show somewhere and heard a boo or two for BD's show.

Challenge accepted. In Sioux City, IA and in Chicago the 1988 Blue Devils were booed loudly during retreat (yes, while us "kids" were on the field). Funny, because this year is often mentioned when people say they wish BD was like they were back in the "old days".

I have also been hearing some nasty stories about 1980 lately.

A video someone posted recently shows a disgusted fan at Atlanta cursing when the scores are announced. Just what we need to add to the current booing. Maybe they can start throwing things at the field next.

Challenge accepted. In Sioux City, IA and in Chicago the 1988 Blue Devils were booed loudly during retreat (yes, while us "kids" were on the field). Funny, because this year is often mentioned when people say they wish BD was like they were back in the "old days".

I have also been hearing some nasty stories about 1980 lately.

A video someone posted recently shows a disgusted fan at Atlanta cursing when the scores are announced. Just what we need to add to the current booing. Maybe they can start throwing things at the field next.

So in other words, always been happening, always will. Only differences is we have DCP to whine about it. Funny what relative anonymity will bring out in people, as evidenced by this thread.

• Like 1

see the thing is many times ( not all ) members arent even there ( smaller shows ) and forget judges , they high tail it out and are having cocktails by the time scores are announced many times and I know they could care less about booing. So maybe the booing just makes those booers feel better. Cant send a message if theres noone there to get it. :smile:/>/>

For at least the last 3 years (that I've attended), there hasn't been a retreat in Atlanta, so no performers are even officially there when the scores are announced.

• Like 2

I think for a lot of drum corps fans it's more than BD being boring. You can make an argument for a lot of Cadets shows being boring, but they've never been vilified the same way BD has been. The difference, IMHO, is that BD shows sometimes feel highly calculated, formulaic, and soulless. I know. I know. They're tremendous innovators. But there's something that feels really perfunctory and manipulative about many of their recent shows.

A completely subjective judgment not shared by all. I think their shows are very soulful and expressive.

1. Fans have the right to boo.
  2. Fans are booing because they don't think the Blue Devils had the winning show.
  3. Fans would enthusiastically cheer a first place Blue Devils show if it was accessible to the majority of fans.

I don't buy that for a second. Fans are booing because they are tired of BD beating their FAVORITE (note, I didn't say best) corps. It has nothing to do with the quality of their show or their technical proficiency. This isn't the people's choice awards.