First Show You Ever Saw...

Yes, for any of you who ever performed in Whitewater from 1979-1983, I was one of those crazy kids who got to the stadium gates at 5am to make sure we got on the 50 not to far from the top. Back then, prelim seating was all gerenal admission.

We watched almost all the corps each year. It literally took all day to get theough prelims.

I remember spreading our blankets out on the bleachers and hold 25-30 spots for the whole group of friends that would arrive a little later in the day. It was a blast.

I probably bumped into you at Warhawk Stadium in those years, since we too got to the stadium plenty early each year.

My favorite thing about DCI in those days.....

Every year I would order my tickets for Whitewater finals (in February or March) and tell DCI exactly in which row on the 50-yard line I wanted my tickets,

and every year DCI sent me 50-yard line tickets in the exact row I asked for!! Those really WERE the good old days!

First live show was 1999 DCI East in Allentown. SCV was unreal.

First live show was summer of 1984 while attending George M. Parks' drum major academy. I believe Crossmen were there but the stars of the show were the Garfield Cadets. Been a Cadet fan since then.

Garfield was rehearsing on the same campus as us and George came into class asking if there were any trombone/baritone players. One of the guys we hung out with said he did and George asked if he could speak with him. Apparently a Garfield member had injured themselves, couldn't march any longer, and they were looking for someone to replace them. This guy volunteered, watched the show from the sideline, and finished the tour with them (at least I think he did). Cool story.

First live show was summer of 1984 while attending George M. Parks' drum major academy. I believe Crossmen were there but the stars of the show were the Garfield Cadets. Been a Cadet fan since then.

Garfield was rehearsing on the same campus as us and George came into class asking if there were any trombone/baritone players. One of the guys we hung out with said he did and George asked if he could speak with him. Apparently a Garfield member had injured themselves, couldn't march any longer, and they were looking for someone to replace them. This guy volunteered, watched the show from the sideline, and finished the tour with them (at least I think he did). Cool story.

As I'm reading this I'm thinking: "Gee what a nice thing for George Parks(RIP) to do.... oh wait a minute.... DUH!"..

OK saw a lot more of GP than GH over the decades. Even have a DVD with George Parks DMing the Buccs thru a few shows.

1990 - Blacksburg, VA. Star of Indiana and Cadets were the big names there. I remember being blown away by how flashy and impressive Star was, and thought they were so much better than the 'boring' Cadets. How could Cadets have beaten them? Weird how the more things change the more they stay the same except insert Crown for Star.

Interesting that I then marched Cadets instead of Star. Funny how things turn out.

• Like 1

Video (VHS) - 1984 Championships. Band director had the tapes and we watched some in class.

Live - 1985, one of the shows in or near NJ. Friend and drummer from HS band was in Garfield's '85 cymbal line, and our drill instructor for HS was in Garfield '83 and evidently is now on BD's Board of Directors..

1990 - Blacksburg, VA. Star of Indiana and Cadets were the big names there. I remember being blown away by how flashy and impressive Star was, and thought they were so much better than the 'boring' Cadets. How could Cadets have beaten them? Weird how the more things change the more they stay the same except insert Crown for Star.

Interesting that I then marched Cadets instead of Star. Funny how things turn out.

Nothing to do with your first show, but if you think about CBC's run from 92-98, (2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, technically 2nd, 1st), that's one of the great runs any corps has ever had over an extended period.

Mike

I had stated the corps I saw at my first show in an earlier post...that must have been a combination of a couple of different years. Here are the scores from the first show I ever saw, in 1964, from corpsreps.

The show was the Livingston NJ Hilltoppers show, a late-season show held on September 20, 1964. I was a runner who would go out and pick up my assigned judge's sheet after each corps and bring it to the tabulator. I had a seat on the field. I turned 11 a month after this show. I know subsequent years I saw Garfield, Audobon Bon bons, St Kevin's, York White Roses, NY islanders (sponsored by 7-Up bottlers on Long Island)...they had 7-Up green unis with white and orange trim, a 7-up patch on their jakcets and I think a 7-Up logo on one of the bass drum heads.

Position Corps Score 1 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 82.570 2 St. Lucy's Cadets 81.730 3 Selden Cadets 81.670 4 PAL Cadets (CT) 77.980 5 Newark Woodsiders 76.450 6 Manhattanaires 67.300 Exhibition 0 Ballantine Brewers 0 Hilltoppers