Ohio State University

we're an intellginet means

Are we really?

So what in the hell do you want exactly? An exact count of the number of people actually paying attention, as if that we're an intellginet means by which to gauge the interest in any halftime performance. You pack 105,000 people into a stadium and I guarentee it would be hard to hear any marching band.

The fact is, these kids are flat out good. For a group with limited performance time, and college students that have other classes and obligations, they get it done as best they can. They are a sense of pride for the school they represent, and are highly respected in their community and by their peers. But most of all, they work their butts off and have fun doing it. Another triumph for music education and for the fans of the Buckeyes!

Say what you will about the style, and I cannot fathom how they play the snares like that, but they are very good, esp when they have more that 1 week to clean (by this I mean that pregame shows usually stay the same throughout the season, and traditional parts for years. I believe they have been doing this entrance since the 1920's.). They get the crowd fired up - and that is what they are supposed to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw2TYLHcmzE

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Say what you will about the style, and I cannot fathom how they play the snares like that, but they are very good, esp. when they have more than one week to clean. (By this I mean that pregame shows usually stay the same throughout the season, and traditional parts for years. I believe they have been doing this entrance since the 1920's.) They get the crowd fired up - and that is what they are supposed to do.

I think what appeals to a lot of people about OSU's band, evident in that clip, is their quasi-military presentation--and for some folks, the remaining suggestions of the same aspect is what interests them in drum corps, too. Most of the small group of (generally artsy) people I introduced to drum corps at Massillon this year picked Cadets or Crown as their favorite, but one of them identified Bluecoats as the group he liked most, and it seemed that this was because in particular due to the military parade elements in their show.

I think what appeals to a lot of people about OSU's band, evident in that clip, is their quasi-military presentation--and for some folks, the remaining suggestions of the same aspect is what interests them in drum corps, too. Most of the small group of (generally artsy) people I introduced to drum corps at Massillon this year picked Cadets or Crown as their favorite, but one of them identified Bluecoats as the group he liked most, and it seemed that this was because in particular due to the military parade elements in their show.

I pretty much agree, but I don't consider OSU band military; if you want to see a military-style college band look at Texas A&M.

Fair enough. However, I think there's an argument to be made that the Texas A&M band performs in a more "military" style than the Marine Corps drum and bugle corps! Compare this video of TAMU to this one of the Commandant's Own. Both are field shows, but in only one of them does the drill consist almost entirely of a modified parade back-and-forth horizontally across the field from end zone to end zone with a lot of follow-the leader; in only one of them does the band generally not direct horns to the audience (except in standstill); in only one of them is the music limited to marches, omitting, say, jazz and film music; and in only one of them is there not even a small front ensemble--and that one is not the Marines. This year, the Marines' show included a Motown medley, while OSU played tribute to Michael Jackson (who started at that company); would A&M ever play pop?

I'm not picking on the Aggies. Their show is fun to watch in its own way: the sharp turns, the close passes-through, the geometric variations, and the sheer size of the band all create an impressive effect. To return to the original subject of this thread--whether OSU in its broad audience appeal was carrying on a tradition largely abandoned by drum corps, that of the Bridgemen and Velvet Knights, and whether drum corps would benefit from bringing that tradition back, I would add another question, one that garfield touched on in his discussion of controversy around the use of weapons in bands and corps: would drum corps benefit from more military precision? The A&M crowd seems every bit as appreciative as the OSU crowd--but they don't have anywhere near as many youtube hits.

I checked out the OS drumline page http://www.jirow.org/candidates.php just for fun, the following is quoted:

"Every year DCI drum corps seem to take it to the next level in modern percussion excitement. Thousands of people travel far and wide to see their favorite corps. I was in awe when I had a clinic with the Blue Devils drumline. Amazing chops. Amazing visuals.

The DCI marching style is easier to master than the 8to5 chair step. Every year, there are usually one or two DCI members who try out and don't make the band. You have to be able to march our style, which takes at least a summer to master. If your chops are amazing, but you can't pick up the step, then you will not make the OSUMB.

Moreoever, it's important to understand that the band is based on military-like operating procedures. Your say is determined by your rank. This falls in with attitude... clear your mind of your rank in high school. Everyone has an equal chance of making the band."

Snare technique starts around 50 second mark on this YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpYSNHZ54w

Edited by jonnyboy

I would add another question, one that garfield touched on in his discussion of controversy around the use of weapons in bands and corps: would drum corps benefit from more military precision? The A&M crowd seems every bit as appreciative as the OSU crowd--but they don't have anywhere near as many youtube hits.

Wasn't one of the main reasons DCI was formed was to break from the VFW and AL semi military style requirements?