Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Edited by SFZFAN

I fell asleep when i tried to watch it, MS have yet to put on a show that impressed me in any form.

Well you're 15 so......

Well you're 15 so......

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but could this possibly mean that the younger audience finds this show less entertaining than the older audience? I do recall sitting in a movie theater full of high school band kids at the premier a few weeks ago, and the Scouts received what was by far the smallest reaction of the night. Others have reported this in their reviews as well.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but could this possibly mean that the younger audience finds this show less entertaining than the older audience? I do recall sitting in a movie theater full of high school band kids at the premier a few weeks ago, and the Scouts received what was by far the smallest reaction of the night. Others have reported this in their reviews as well.

No one can blame the source material either...high school band kids that have heard it *love* Don Ellis and Stan Kenton, and kudos go out to the band directors that expose their kids to that music.

So, for fun, I was just cruising through some of the Scouts stuff on FN: 1988, 1991-1997, 1999, 2001, 2005 and on into this decade . . .some of this is rose-colored glasses for sure, but I'm trying to put my finger on the "it" that I get from the Scouts.

I guess what it is is the visceral sense of riding things straight to the edge (not just in volume) that gives that swagger . . .that this years show almost comes off as too "sanitized" and straight-laced in places. It's still a great listen and a great show, so I'm not knocking it there: I'm just trying to figure out what *I* seem to be missing as a fan from it. I'm not about to speak for anyone else.

I'm not sure it makes sense to anyone but me, but there's a certain raw, overwhelming feeling you get from the performers when things click: the audience feeds it back to the kids and it creates that closed circuit of emotion that transcends notes and spins. Those kind of moments . . .the "sugar high" of drum corps. That's the elusive moment(s) I want/need.

Sorry for the ramble: go Scouts! :smile:

So, for fun, I was just cruising through some of the Scouts stuff on FN: 1988, 1991-1997, 1999, 2001, 2005 and on into this decade . . .some of this is rose-colored glasses for sure, but I'm trying to put my finger on the "it" that I get from the Scouts.

I guess what it is is the visceral sense of riding things straight to the edge (not just in volume) that gives that swagger . . .that this years show almost comes off as too "sanitized" and straight-laced in places. It's still a great listen and a great show, so I'm not knocking it there: I'm just trying to figure out what *I* seem to be missing as a fan from it. I'm not about to speak for anyone else.

I'm not sure it makes sense to anyone but me, but there's a certain raw, overwhelming feeling you get from the performers when things click: the audience feeds it back to the kids and it creates that closed circuit of emotion that transcends notes and spins. Those kind of moments . . .the "sugar high" of drum corps. That's the elusive moment(s) I want/need.

Sorry for the ramble: go Scouts! :smile:

I feel like this is a large fault of having Robert W. Smith arrange for them. I love the music in their show, but it doesn't even hold a candle to what Suncoast got out of him(Smith) in the 80s. Plus, 4 years into listening to his arrangements, it clearly just doesn't fit with Madison's aura. Smith's music has always been more of a generic symphonic sound, not so much Madison.

It also doesn't help that they haven't found a decent drill since 2005. Was that Rosander or Weber? I forget.

The guard has been a problem for a long while, but they've had flashes that they've never capitalized on. 2010 was great! And then they never really built upon that.

Edit: I'm also starting to think that Mason, while a decent designer and someone who really can take credit for getting Madison back into Finals, is past his prime and really is quite outdated.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

A lot of "new schoolers" have said for years that the activity's target audience is directed at "middle school, high school, and college music students" and if that is true.....and THIS ^^^.....is true, then I guess it really doesn't matter what the "legacy fans think". As they say, "it's not the legacy fan's activity" anymore. So if today's drum corps kid finds today's modern shows with electronics, all brass and dare I even say woodwinds, so be it. I can say this, the crowds attending the shows and movie theaters certainly speaks for itself. Legacy fans love to "boycott"....but does anyone even notice...is perhaps the real question. Things that make you go "hmmmmmmmm".

• Like 1