Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

I didnt think you were just coming down on them. I agree and I do think they might be trying to do just what you say..find themselves. When they do though it may or may not be what some want and that should be ok.........................malaguena....lol..as much as some hate it...its a great drum corps song...lol

Actually, with the theme of this year's show, it would have been appropriate to play Malaguena - and I assume mellophoniums would be legal this year?

cfc254ab84a84ebdf232a855177a10c7.jpg

Edit: added the photo of a mellophonium - would they be legal???

Edited by billj
  • Like 1

Actually, with the theme of this year's show, it would have been appropriate to play Malaguena - and I assume mellophoniums (

They just went to that well in 2012. Probably best to leave it alone for a while.

I feel like this is a large fault of having Robert W. Smith arrange for them. I love the music in their show, but it doesn't even hold a candle to what Suncoast got out of him(Smith) in the 80s. Plus, 4 years into listening to his arrangements, it clearly just doesn't fit with Madison's aura. Smith's music has always been more of a generic symphonic sound, not so much Madison.

It also doesn't help that they haven't found a decent drill since 2005. Was that Rosander or Weber? I forget.

The guard has been a problem for a long while, but they've had flashes that they've never capitalized on. 2010 was great! And then they never really built upon that.

Edit: I'm also starting to think that Mason, while a decent designer and someone who really can take credit for getting Madison back into Finals, is past his prime and really is quite outdated.

I was going to post this as well. The Scouts need a new arranger & I bet they get one.

Why is everyone so down on the Scouts? I happen to like their show. I like the fact that there is no narration. I like the music and think it is entertaining and fun. They sound great. Give these guys a break. Don't any of you have minds of your own?

• Like 1

Why is everyone so down on the Scouts? I happen to like their show. I like the fact that there is no narration. I like the music and think it is entertaining and fun. They sound great. Give these guys a break. Don't any of you have minds of your own?

So feeling like the design isn't quite right means you don't have a mind of your own? Only by thinking it's awesome do you prove that you can think for yourself?

That's...huh. I don't know what that is.

• Like 3

Does not liking Madison's show mean that we don't have minds of our own?

• Like 1

I feel like this is a large fault of having Robert W. Smith arrange for them. I love the music in their show, but it doesn't even hold a candle to what Suncoast got out of him(Smith) in the 80s. Plus, 4 years into listening to his arrangements, it clearly just doesn't fit with Madison's aura. Smith's music has always been more of a generic symphonic sound, not so much Madison.

Except for the fact that he wrote two of the most ridiculous jazz shows of all time while at Suncoast (83 and 86, not to mention 85's "Midnight in Miami"), and some pretty amazing jazz shows for Magic as well. He may earn a living as a symphonic band composer, but that doesn't mean that's all he can do.

I suspect the problems are not at all Robert's fault, but lie in the greater overall design of the program.

• Like 1

Actually, with the theme of this year's show, it would have been appropriate to play Malaguena - and I assume mellophoniums would be legal this year?

Mellophoniums should have been legal before this year. Since DCI went to any-key brass, all bell-front brass instruments were permitted except trombones and sousaphones. And now, of course, all brass instruments, bell-front or not, are permitted.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Except for the fact that he wrote two of the most ridiculous jazz shows of all time while at Suncoast (83 and 86, not to mention 85's "Midnight in Miami"), and some pretty amazing jazz shows for Magic as well. He may earn a living as a symphonic band composer, but that doesn't mean that's all he can do.

I suspect the problems are not at all Robert's fault, but lie in the greater overall design of the program.

That's why it's so confusing that the last 4 seasons are pretty tame arrangements by Madison standards. I'm well aware of the Florida Suites and all he did with them in the 80s. He clearly has/had the knowhow to create an exciting music book, but almost everything he's done with Madison is just juxtaposed with their entire DCI history and unfortunately falls short. The rep this year is making him look better, but the edits are just killing the show. I actually loved the music for the most part in early season, but ugh... I miss that ending so much.

And yeah as people say I'm sure the drill is affecting it as well.

On another note I really do not like any of his concert band works, so I have a bit of a bias.