Phantom Regiment 2014

Am I the only one on this darned forum who adored Turandot and the closer especially?! I found it more powerful than Elsa's the year before.

I think a lot of it has to do with age. Many of us who have been around a while have a specific emotional connection to the 1991 arrangement. So, when Nessun Dorma came back around, we were expecting something a bit closer to that. I know I, for one, was disappointed in how unnecessarily flowery those added runs seemed. It took away from the raw power and emotion I was hoping for. Great show, though. Don't get me wrong. As soon as I saw those mellophones hauling @$$ like freaking gods from set one at the tour premiere, I knew it was going to be a good year.

I think a lot of it has to do with age. Many of us who have been around a while have a specific emotional connection to the 1991 arrangement. So, when Nessun Dorma came back around, we were expecting something a bit closer to that. I know I, for one, was disappointed in how unnecessarily flowery those added runs seemed. It took away from the raw power and emotion I was hoping for. Great show, though. Don't get me wrong. As soon as I saw those mellophones hauling ### like freaking gods from set one at the tour premiere, I knew it was going to be a good year.

Really? I enjoyed the runs haha. I guess it has a lot to do with the generation gap and what you hear first. After watching Turandot a while ago, I watched the 1991 show. I found the 1991 arrangement a bit lacking and empty. I also preferred the solo being played on the flugelhorn rather than the mello.

• Like 1

Maybe you are all too young, but does the name Jim Wren ring a bell. He was the sound of PR for years which gave us our deep sound that we were famous for. He wrote music for the Regiment for over 30 years and is one of the pioneers of early drum corps as a member of the original PR corps, the Purple Knights.

Edited by grammie12
  • Like 3

Maybe you are all too young, but does the name Jim Wren ring a bell. He was the sound of PR for years which gave us our deep sound that we were famous for. He wrote music for the Regiment for over 30 years and is one of the pioneers of early drum corps as a member of the original PR corps, the Purple Knights.

I seem to recall the name...
  • Like 1

He actually ran the trumpet auditions the first time I auditioned in 2006. Then, when I auditioned again and made the corps in 2008, he was around every once in a while. I loved getting to hear him and Dr. Dan talk about the corps on history night. There are so many of his arrangements that I could just listen to over and over again.

Really? I enjoyed the runs haha. I guess it has a lot to do with the generation gap and what you hear first. After watching Turandot a while ago, I watched the 1991 show. I found the 1991 arrangement a bit lacking and empty. I also preferred the solo being played on the flugelhorn rather than the mello.

That's an interesting perspective. That mello solo is pretty iconic, imo. Also, that's JD Shaw playing (and nailing) that solo.

He actually ran the trumpet auditions the first time I auditioned in 2006. Then, when I auditioned again and made the corps in 2008, he was around every once in a while. I loved getting to hear him and Dr. Dan talk about the corps on history night. There are so many of his arrangements that I could just listen to over and over again.

You were one of the lucky ones in 2008. I was able to go to finalls with my three chidren who marched in the corps in the 70's and 80's. What a night that was to see all of you perform at the highest level. I cant imagine how you felt, but I know I was crying with happiness. To see all my old friends and the friends of my children was a cherry on top of the sundae. I watch that show all the time and I still get goosebumps.

That's an interesting perspective. That mello solo is pretty iconic, imo. Also, that's JD Shaw playing (and nailing) that solo.

I thought it was interesting that Phantom chose to play that particular piece the exact year JD Shaw left to SCV.

• Like 1

Woah did not know that was JD Shaw. Pretty cool.