Phantom Regiment 2014

Couldn't have said it better myself. Cuodos to your insight and objective analysis. From my rocking chair knitting a shawl its drum corps grammie.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Cuodos to your insight and objective analysis. From my rocking chair knitting a shawl its drum corps grammie.

Hi Grammie,

Do you crochet as well? I'd love some Phantom chevron tea cozy's if you are so inclined.

Lol!

Please don't be offended by prior assumptions. The world is in a unique place everytime it's examined. I think the knitting reference is a joke based on that.

I would much, much rather them continue to do classical and beautiful shows wherever they finish, than sacrifice their identity in an effort to place higher.

Same here! Though I will agree, to some extent with Mr. Chaos here in that I would love to see Phantom do a show that's different from the last few in the sense that it doesn't have a very obvious story line, minus 2010 that's all they've done since 2008. 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003 all come to mind. Simple theme, great music and visual program, and they did fantastically. They don't need a story line to be Phantom! Just some rocking classical music, great drill, and perform that crap outta it. I still want them to indulge me and revisit Symphonie Fantastique, but maybe that's just me.

That said, after a few more viewings, this years isn't a train wreck like my first read, some rewrites and more clarity in the direction of the show and they'll be fine.

• Like 3

Every year some friends of mine do our preseason predictions, unfortunately, the Regiment was "predicted" to finish anywhere from 4th to 8th. However, the top 3 predictions contained the same corps, BD, Crown, and Cadets. This completely unscientific poll suggests that the corps (Regiment) is too unpredictable, or it is a recognition of the fact that, if the stars align correctly, the corps could have a good season (competitively).

Sometimes I think we overanalyze Corps in their placements. Phantom Regiment being no different in this respect. Phantom is like every other Corps relative to their placements... they tyically fall within a highly predictable range of 3 placement positions each and every season.... where they might fall outside of this 3 posiition placement range in any given 1 year hiatus as an outlier year before quickly returning once again to their 3 placement position spread pecking order on the DCI placement totem pole. The only unpredictable Corps in this respect is Crown. However, their history is relatively and comparatively short, and that may account for some of this uncertainty of where to place them right now.. But in due time, it seems to me that we should be able to include their 3 placement spread position as well in the pecking order with some degree of confidence too, outside of the Cadevaliers almost total lock on the top spot now.

Edited by BRASSO

Sometimes I think we overanalyze Corps in their placements. Phantom Regiment being no different in this respect. Phantom is like every other Corps relative to their placements... they tyically fall within a highly predictable range of 3 placement positions each and every season.... where they might fall outside of this 3 posiition placement range in any given 1 year hiatus as an outlier year before quickly returning once again to their 3 placement position spread pecking order on the DCI placement totem pole. The only unpredictable Corps in this respect is Crown, but their history is so relatively short that in due time, we might be able to include their 3 placement spread position as well in the pecking order with some degree of confidence outside of the Cadevaliers lock on the top spot.

There are times when I'm convinced you are the Eddie Haskell of DCP.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

Same here! Though I will agree, to some extent with Mr. Chaos here in that I would love to see Phantom do a show that's different from the last few in the sense that it doesn't have a very obvious story line, minus 2010 that's all they've done since 2008. 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003 all come to mind. Simple theme, great music and visual program, and they did fantastically. They don't need a story line to be Phantom! Just some rocking classical music, great drill, and perform that crap outta it. I still want them to indulge me and revisit Symphonie Fantastique, but maybe that's just me.

That said, after a few more viewings, this years isn't a train wreck like my first read, some rewrites and more clarity in the direction of the show and they'll be fine.

works for me. that doesn't change their identity at all, only reinforces it. out of their 58 years, only 10 of their shows have been story lines ('05 included). story lines AREN'T their identity as i see it. in trying to respond to BD, Crown, etc., do you think PR's designers are lost in redefining themselves?

went back to watch the show last night. the show "works" (albeit not to my loving it, but rather it makes sense) from the opener through the Dukas. after that it loses me completely. the Tchaikovsky arrangement is a little bando to me.

Edited by chaos001

There are times when I'm convinced you are the Eddie Haskell of DCP.

You might have a vivid imagination, Abe, but I really don't know what you mean. Care to elaborate ?

Edited by BRASSO

Phantom Regiment...the best corps to never win," Steve Rondinaro, '93

Those were the days for great drum crops!

Edited by Land_Surfer