Bluecoats 2014

Up until tonight's FN broadcast, I couldn't explain why I keep going back to Bluecoats' videos on demand. Sure the show is wicked entertaining, but so are a lot of other shows. Tonight I realized that Bloo's show is not just entertaining, it is compelling. The source music (aside from the ballad, of course) is a bit "out there," but the 'Coats arrangement just compels me to become immersed in it. I love it! Good luck to them the rest of the season.

• Like 5

Congrats on bloooo breaking 85 tonight and jumping to second place.

Man, the last half of the season is going to be fun.

Keep working bloo you might just do something this season you've never done before.

Edit: I finally got home and watched the Ft. Wayne show from tonight (Well just their performance)

I love this show so much. It just makes me have the biggest smile on my face, and I love every single thing about it. The Concept just works, and the audience loves it.

To me, it screams championship show, I mean, They are getting the scores to make a run during the last two weeks.

Edited by ohwiseone
  • Like 3

It's going to come down to performance. This is the right vehicle, but that's only half the battle. If they perform the snot out of it on finals week, then they've got a real chance to come out on top.

Relax everyone. Coats will be polished come Massillon. GE score will start going their way towards the last few weeks.

• Like 1

The show, by design, does not have a story. This is straight from the mouth of the show designer, via the Field Pass podcast. A great show does not need a story to be great.

It will be great, but will not win without "elseness."

Anyone else notice that Bluecoats beat BD in guard last now - that's pretty major - congrats!

Later,

Mike

• Like 4

Up until tonight's FN broadcast, I couldn't explain why I keep going back to Bluecoats' videos on demand. Sure the show is wicked entertaining, but so are a lot of other shows. Tonight I realized that Bloo's show is not just entertaining, it is compelling. The source music (aside from the ballad, of course) is a bit "out there," but the 'Coats arrangement just compels me to become immersed in it. I love it! Good luck to them the rest of the season.

The Bluecoats source music proves once again that they have a knack for finding music that others haven't played before. And importantly, arranging it in a way that is compelling for both the judge and fan alike. The Bluecoats are the Music Pickers of drum corps! Their music is just so darned fresh from the opening hit and continues all the way through the closer. The sound from the get-go just exudes attitude, panache, and WOW!

HUGE props to the arranger-composer duo of Doug Thrower (brass) and Tom Rarick (percussion). Rarick's work may lead to the Sanford this year and Thrower continues to demonstrate his musical mastery and genius year after year. Kudos to the awesome design and instructional staff that has this corps on the precipice of all-time greatness. Brass, percussion, guard - it's all there, producing one of the finest shows we've seen in a long, long time.

If there was a DCI trophy for best arrangers, Thrower and Rarick would win it this year. Hand's down!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 4

Anyone else notice that Bluecoats beat BD in guard last now - that's pretty major - congrats!

Later,

Mike

This is no fluke. Bloo's guard has now knocked off Cadets, Crown,and Blue Devils. If there was Most Improved for any one unit, the Bluecoats guard would win that too.

Hmmm, top guard, top percussion, brass within a whisker, high visual... Where might this year take the Bluecoats? Exciting year - so pumped!!!

• Like 1

The new ending (which I imagine is merely another "stepping-stone" ending that will change again) I like except for the pause for the horns down. I know the idea there is to add space for the applause and then hit the tag, but I think it flowed better to go straight into the frenzy. However, the new rangy mello changes on the last chord are great! I might even extend that last chord another measure or two just to milk the reaction.

• Like 1