The Cadets - 2014

thinking about this more...

how did the corps devolve from this, 22 years ago, to "Hall of Presidents: The Drum Corps Show" today?:

around the time the internet devolved from intelligent discourse to vapid nonsense?

There have been plenty of posts that give great discussion points about what's good and what doesn't work for them: AWESOME! That creates discussion, healthy debate, and even awesome ideas (like "keep the speech quotes to JUST the Presidents highlighted in the show").

This comment I quoted above is a great example of how not to do the internet: try for a pithy comment, with a bit of cynical sarcasm, and then out. Perhaps you can try again with a bit of actual commentary, using the basic writing skills learned in middle school (assuming you're at least a HS-aged person - also, YEA! I can do pithy, cynical comments too but they have a little bit more heft coming after a legit commentary).

This message brought to you by Monday morning, pre-coffee...

• Like 1

UGH I can't stand when people get simple history things wrong

44 men HAVE NOT stood on the steps of the capital and recited the oath. The capital wasn't even built until 1800, and some have taken the oath elsewhere, like LBJ who did it in Air Force One.

Now THIS I agree with!

But, Cadets aren't one to let historical fact get in the way of artistic statement (like the WW2 era show that had the pledge reciting a statement not added until well-after WW2 ended)

As a disclaimer I am a huge Cadets fan. First show I saw live was in '84 and from that point on they could basically puke on the field and I'd like it. Also as others have said, thank you to YEA and George for making this performance available. Under the heading of "no good deed goes unpunished" though...

This would be a wonderful show with a great brass line, battery, pit, and colorguard that would stand up just fine on its own if not for:

• Narration - didn't add a single thing. I've seen the video interview of the performer who seems like a nice guy, and his performance is ok, but the concept didn't work in its current format. Too much in my opinion.
  • French horn - yes, I can see why DCI needed to added other brass instruments for that whopping 10-15 second solo (which was good btw). Totally get now how a mello wouldn't have worked there...
  • Stage - it's an albatross and no matter how much it gets gussied up, or how many folks come popping out of the trap doors, all I kept thinking was "When are they going to do something with that next?" rather than enjoy what the corps is doing on the field. Priorities, show designers - while we pay to see a show it most certainly isn't to stare at a platform that obscures most of the work being done close to the sideline. It also reminded me of how folks refer to owning a boat - once you have it you feel compelled to use it all the time or find things to do with it.

The whole show reminded me of one many years ago I think by the Sky Ryders when they did West Side Story. They attempted to perform the musical with the colorguard doing the acting and corps proper basically moving behind them as a marching orchestra pit. Can't say I have favorable memories of that show, though it was an attempt to do something different, and I'm very concerned this one by the Cadets won't pan out either.

So - that Sky Ryders show (I believe it was 1987) was my girl friend's (at the time) favorite. She LOVED it - as did the crowd in Allentown at East where we saw it the first time

Regarding Cadets - it's early JUNE. At least let it get on the field and a couple weeks into the season until deciding it is an artistic failure...

I didn't get the "guard with marching orchestra pit" angle - course only saw it on the net, preseason. So perhaps I'm not that keen of an observer

Time will tell. I thought (based on the concept) I'd hate it. But darn that's a smoking drumline for so early and the corps appears strong across captions...

• Like 1

So - that Sky Ryders show (I believe it was 1987) was my girl friend's (at the time) favorite. She LOVED it - as did the crowd in Allentown at East where we saw it the first time

That show was a big crowd favorite that summer. I toured with another corps at the time and we were at several shows with them. Crowds really enjoyed them. And at finals, I remember many folks around me in tears at how emotional the ending of the show was. Even though it was music everyone was used to in drum corps, they really went all-out in terms of the theatricality and trying to actually bring the musical to life on the field. High brass in all-white, low brass in all-black, percussion in grey, and color guard in vibrant colors. Props of fire escapes and stained glass windows. It was a very intriguing and quite entertaining and emotional production. Certainly one of my favorites from that season.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 1

i enjoyed the preview. it was almost as entertaining as the backlash when Hop listed kids names and their injuries and status on Facebook

• Like 1

As a disclaimer I am a huge Cadets fan. First show I saw live was in '84 and from that point on they could basically puke on the field and I'd like it. Also as others have said, thank you to YEA and George for making this performance available. Under the heading of "no good deed goes unpunished" though...

This would be a wonderful show with a great brass line, battery, pit, and colorguard that would stand up just fine on its own if not for:

• Narration - didn't add a single thing. I've seen the video interview of the performer who seems like a nice guy, and his performance is ok, but the concept didn't work in its current format. Too much in my opinion.
  • French horn - yes, I can see why DCI needed to added other brass instruments for that whopping 10-15 second solo (which was good btw). Totally get now how a mello wouldn't have worked there...
  • Stage - it's an albatross and no matter how much it gets gussied up, or how many folks come popping out of the trap doors, all I kept thinking was "When are they going to do something with that next?" rather than enjoy what the corps is doing on the field. Priorities, show designers - while we pay to see a show it most certainly isn't to stare at a platform that obscures most of the work being done close to the sideline. It also reminded me of how folks refer to owning a boat - once you have it you feel compelled to use it all the time or find things to do with it.

The whole show reminded me of one many years ago I think by the Sky Ryders when they did West Side Story. They attempted to perform the musical with the colorguard doing the acting and corps proper basically moving behind them as a marching orchestra pit. Can't say I have favorable memories of that show, though it was an attempt to do something different, and I'm very concerned this one by the Cadets won't pan out either.

actually the beauty of that show was percussion in gray, brass in black and white, and all of the color on the guard

For anyone that missed the live stream on Sunday they will be doing it again tomorrow June 10th at 8PM EDT.

Info: http://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/253-see-the-cadets-live-on-june-9

Actual broadcast link: http://yea.org/2014-jtown2