Members have changed so why not the activity

Tupac

Perception is reality....ugh. A word means what I think it means not what what it actually means. 2+2=5 because I say so. It's maddening.

• Like 1

This is where things get fuzzy because I disagree with this 'perception is reality mindset' where people are allowed to define things in their own manner. Baseball and Cricket are both defined as sports; they are both even defined as stick-ball sports; all of that is true based on common agreed to authoritative standards; but they are still unique unto themselves. One can attempt to further define the subset stick-ball sport of Baseball as being the same as the stick-ball sport of Cricket, or vice versa, in their 'perception is reality' mindset, but that subset definition of perception would be in error. Unless..... As for the evolution of things; evolution and morphing are two vastly different processes. Cricket, for example, can evolve in adjusting to competitive changes based on the needs within the Cricket framework and still remain unique as Cricket. However, if they began to throw the ball instead of rolling it, changed the inner playing field to a diamond instead of a rectangle, and began adopting other items from the world of Baseball it would remain a stick-ball sport, but at some point it would morph into actually becoming Baseball and cease to be Cricket. This morphing, as opposed to evolving, is what is happening in DCI as of late; while up to this point DCI and BOA units have both been, ouch, marching bands unique unto themselves, DCI is now morphing into being high caliber ‘BOA type’ ensembles instead of evolving within the framework of Drum Corps

Well stated. To the OP, my point of view is that drum corps would continue to evolve without the revolution.

Edited by funkjazzaxe

This is the 'perception is reality' nonsense I am referring to; you might as well state, "I am not saying that if you eat arsenic laced toadstools you will get ill or worse die because I'm not saying I'm correct in my philosophy or conjecture -- it's just the way I feel."

Horsehockey. First, "perception is reality" is a fact...for that person (and that person alone). Your perception is your reality. My perception is my reality. And guess what? There will always be a third person who will jump in and say "XXXX, you're both idiots!!" I would much rather make the statement that "I'm NOT saying I'm correct just because I'm the one that's saying it" than "This is the way it is...it IS because I said so!!!" You can state things any way you wish...as for me, I'd rather not pretend that my views are definitively correct for all.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 3

Apparently the reality of sane and intelligent people. But, you are entitled to your reality, this is a free country after all.

Look, Stu...it was not my intent to get riled at your viewpoint(s). Lord knows we've been on the same side on a number of points, and will possibly disagree over just as many others. On this point (my getting riled with you), you have my apologies.

It just occurred to me that this whole "perception is reality" thing is being carried to the next level by some: that being, "perception is reality" is being equated with "truth" or "'wisdom." There is no correlation. I can say "My perception (and hence, my reality) is that I can gorge myself with arsenic-laced mushrooms until the cows come home." All well and good. But in that case, neither my perception OR my reality is based upon wisdom. If I follow that philosophy, then the only good that will come of it will be that DCP would be saved from any further inanities emanating from my mouth. Hey...take your victories where you can get them. And yes...I'm being slightly sarcastic with myself, not you.

Edited by HornTeacher