drum corps on ESPN

let's be honest.....drum corps fans would ##### no matter what

Can this be blown up and on the front page of DCP? This pretty much summed up drum corps fans in a sentence.

When DCI was on ESPN they were getting ratings comparable/greater than some mainstream sports broadcasts, greater than NHL, and "exceeded expectations" ratings-wise. So the TV followers/viewers of DCI exceeded followers/viewers of NHL. The costs are high because it is expensive to "lease" broadcast time from any national cable network. DCI in its peak attendance would still not be able to afford modern broadcast costs.

The ratings "greater than NHL" back then is not necessarily anything to hang your hat on. I also remember hearing that bowling tournaments on ESPN were getting better ratings than the NHL as well (nothing against bowling - I'm a fan of it myself).

The ratings "greater than NHL" back then is not necessarily anything to hang your hat on. I also remember hearing that bowling tournaments on ESPN were getting better ratings than the NHL as well (nothing against bowling - I'm a fan of it myself).

That's true, however the NHL is obviously a fairly large sports industry: FAR larger than DCI. My point was DCI was sustaining higher viewership than a major US sports industry: meaning "we're just a niche activity" is only one part of the overall issue.

The thing with that is partnering with other companies (Netflix, iTunes, whomever) = substantial revenue loss as those companies would want a (fairly large) cut of the profits. Why should that be a goal when currently DCI gets ALL of the profits from their Fan Network service? I think the goal should be for DCI to continue to improve Fan Network's quality live streaming, and forget about spending money trying to deliver their product in more ways. It seems glamorous for DCI to be on Netflix, but the logistics of that are likely nowhere worth it.

Well, you would have to see if having it on Netflix would lower the number of Fan Network subscribers. Remember Fan Network provides live streaming of events and legacy seasons. Things that can't won't be provided on Netflix. Plus I'm also thinking that Neftlix would only provide the last season of drum corps for about year not the current the season with the library expanding every year like Netflix currently does with TV shows (They never have the most recent season available). I think people who have already been paying for Fan Network would continue to pay for it because of the many other features. Plus, I'm sure that people use Fan Network mostly for the live streaming of shows anyway so they can continue to work on improving that service and reaping the profits from it. So even if Netflix gets a larger percentage of the profit it may actually be worth it overall.

Edited by charlie1223

Well, you would have to see if having it on Netflix would lower the number of Fan Network subscribers. Remember Fan Network provides live streaming of events and legacy seasons. Things that can't won't be provided on Netflix. Plus I'm also thinking that Neftlix would only provide the last season of drum corps for about year not the current the season with the library expanding every year like Netflix currently does with TV shows (They never have the most recent season available). I think people who have already been paying for Fan Network would continue to pay for it because of the many other features. Plus, I'm sure that people use Fan Network mostly for the live streaming of shows anyway so they can continue to work on improving that service and reaping the profits from it. So even if Netflix gets a larger percentage of the profit it may actually be worth it overall.

Netflix doesn't show all the TV shows it has had on the service all of the time because its agreements with the TV rights owner's are set for a specific time through contracts.

These contracts different from one provider to another provider. I'm sure DCI and Netflix could reach an agreement to house whatever DCI wants for however long they'd like. No biggie there.

Then the Fan Network could just be for live events. I could probably just get rid of it and keep Netflix if that's the case. lol

let's be honest.....drum corps fans would ##### no matter what

While you have my whole-hearted endorsement on this, Jeff, I would say that it is more a matter of the "human condition" in that it is not applicable only to drum corps fans. From what I've read in many texts (not drum corps texts, but rather In many subjects), it is common to everything from "the Dodgers haven't been the same since they left Brooklyn" to "this country hasn't had a good leader since Lincoln (heck, throw in Washington, Teddy, FDR, or Kennedy). Somehow, it's in our genes. Some, however, have had the good fortune to resist the temptation, knowing that all matters common to mankind are subject to growth and change -- not always for the better, but change nevertheless. Heck...if we were to believe the scientists (and I must, since they are far more informed than I in that subject), even the universe is expanding. If nothing else, MOST are now convinced that the earth isn't flat. And we'll take whatever small solace we can in that.

Edited by HornTeacher

. I think it would be cool if DCI made a deal with Netflix for example.

if you're Netflix Corporate decisionmakers in this deal, what do you envision Netflix getting out of any deal with DCI ? Show us how they make some good dough in the deal.... because thats what they'll want to know before cutting any deal with DCI ( over other possible potential money maker partnerships available to them by comparison.)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

No, I would say this is incorrect, or at the very least illogical: all things are NOT equal. The cost to put DCI on TV in an era where PBS is not an option and there are hundreds of cable channels who would only air something for a (fairly high) price. There is little/no evidence beyond anecdotal that DCI on TV creates exposure that creates revenue. I would suspect that the vast majority of viewers of DCI on TV are people who either already no about the activity and spend money on DCI, or already know about the activity and choose to not spend money on DCI. Either way, DCI is FAR better off producing their own subscription service, and reaping quantifiable benefits ($$).

The TV landscape has changed so dramatically that prices have risen to broadcast. When DCI was on ESPN they were getting ratings comparable/greater than some mainstream sports broadcasts, greater than NHL, and "exceeded expectations" ratings-wise. So the TV followers/viewers of DCI exceeded followers/viewers of NHL. The costs are high because it is expensive to "lease" broadcast time from any national cable network. DCI in its peak attendance would still not be able to afford modern broadcast costs.

I couldn't sleep last night and was thinking about this very subject as I was flipping through the myriad of cable channels. I absolutely disagree with you. I would contend that costs have come down on channels that would be a perfect fit for drum corps. And I think about all the crazy shows that seem to attract wide-enough audiences to make it worthwhile: The elephant in the room is Punkin' Chunkin' because it's a once-a-year event that showcases the contraptions, of course, but spends lots of time focusing on the personal stories of contestants. (There are, literally, thousands of personal stories available in drum corps.) Killing alligators in the swamp, standing at the counter at a pawn shop, hunting for gold, making moonshine... the list is as long as your arm and each is a fine example of what a TV show can do with a completely unknown "hobby" to take it mainstream.

The problem is, of course, funding. But I look at Punkin' Chunkin' and I see Canon sponsors it (with a growing number of smaller sponsors) and it's on the Discovery Channel.

I'm going to call BS on your claims that there's not enough "demand" for drum corps to make it worthwhile. How many of the exampled shows represent hobbies you even knew existed before you saw it advertised as a new show on cable? By your own stats, the demand is there (bigger than the NHL); it's a problem of finding a sponsor to underwrite the costs. If you look at this problem outside the box, you focus on Canon and Punkin' Chunkin'. What's THAT market worth to Canon?

Many on these boards tout that there are THOUSANDS of kids in hundreds of bands who are marching geeks. Surely that's more than the number of kids (and their parents) who have rowed through the swamps shooting gators, don't you think?

Can you agree that THAT demographic is enough to attract a major sponsor?

So, why hasn't it been done yet?

Beuhler?

Beuhler?

and...in order to gain advertisers to foot the bill....there may be demands to change how the product is presented. no one wants that

Why not? When I think about the changes to the activity, and the claims that the activity has to stay relevant by changing itself to current-day demands, what could possibly be changed that the activity can't withstand? Shorter show? Name me a corps that wouldn't go along with that. More funky music (current music, that is)? That's where DCI wants to go anyway.

What changes, at this point, would prevent corps directors to bristle, especially with the potential exposure and resultant revenue to the activity?