All animals are equal (but some are more equal than others)

which exactly why i think the reaction to the rule will far exceed the reaction to it's implementation.

Agreed.

And I agreed with the point that it is sheer lunacy to claim an "idiomatic adherence" argument for implementing these devices.

Is this possible? I feel like maybe this can be true. But in the world of DCP, I'm pretty sure there is no room for it. I had probably better just leave this thread alone.

Edited by mingusmonk

Probably should have just mentioned how little change there ever is at the highest organizational levels of this activity, and left the above out of it.

1. It sounds sexist as all hell

2. or it sounds like you have don't have much faith in women of the activity (so, both?)

just the opposite...i hire more females in all my winter projects than men............there are far less females who stay in the activity than men....for many reasons........maybe theres just more men involved....who knows

Edited by GUARDLING

Not even most competitive marching bands do that. Anyway, that just struck me because I've seen a lot of bands all over the country and most of them don't do that. Check out the BOA GNs. Not even half the finalists do that.

be interesting to see what the numbers actually are. i suspect they're lower than i think and higher than you think.

just the opposite...i hire more females in all my winter projects than men............there are far less females who stay in the activity than men....for many reasons........maybe theres just more men involved....who knows

Not to continue the threadjack (and constant abuse of ellipses) ... but ... maybe ....

Women have seen that the opportunities don't exist for women at the top, so at a certain point, they move on.

how many women leave their kids to head off to play drum corps...and how many men do...

Well, presumably the woman wouldn't be "playing Drum Corps ", as they'd be making decisions on Drum Corps. The same as the Men do now.

As for " leaving their kids to do Drum Corps " you lost me on this one a there are millions of Men that have ageed to watch the kids as their wives go out to school board meetings, soocer meetings, PTA meetings, bowling Leagues, Woman's Investment Club meetiings, health clubs, political functions, Church, Charity, CIvic organizations volunteer work,, etc, and a million other things that modern day Woman are involved with with these days. There are also available what we call babysitters that can watch the kids too so that both Mom and Dad can attend after work hours hobby meetings on occasion too. Heck, at some Drum Corps meetings we see the Dads takiing the little ones there too with them on occasion. There's no bonafide excuses really, unless we're looking for excuses, I suppose.

Edited by BRASSO

be interesting to see what the numbers actually are. i suspect they're lower than i think and higher than you think.

Yes it would. I notice band instrumentation when I attend shows, especially when the band produces a sound that I good or bad. I especially notice low brass makeup, as well as low woodwinds ( there's a huge variety of possibilities here )

We can find out the BOA bands, but there are other competitive circuits around the country and there are other bands who perform, but they're festival bands.... I can't imagine all these bands having enough money to put their more numerous trombone players on marching baritone. So only the wealthy bands who want to emulate the drum corps sound do that.

Had I only read your summary, I would have concluded that all the MRT panelists are idiots. Having listened to the podcast, they are clearly passionate about the reaction some people have had to the rule change. Taken as whole, each panelist represent their viewpoint pretty clearly (and certainly with a great deal of emotion). I suggest that all DCP readers take the time to listen for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Well, this thread took off after a slow start.

Anyway, I didn't write a summary. I wrote my reactions to the podcast. I'm glad you listened to it yourself, but I stand by all my comments.

So producing musical sounds is not accomplished by purely physical means? I take it then that the muscles of the arms do not move the drum sticks and marimba mallets? That the muscles in the face and the strength of the lungs and diaphragm do not create the means by which the sound is created in the brass instruments? And that the choreography, marching, and high velocity movements performed by the body along with the high level of heart rate and high level of breathing difficulty created through that physical activity have no effect on those sound productions? Interesting; I did not know that.

Where have you been, Stu? It only takes one finger to press a key on a keyboard....

But, I suppose there are some muscles involved to get the arm up, to curl the finger...

:tounge2:

Well, presumably the woman wouldn't be "playing Drum Corps ", as they'd be making decisions on Drum Corps. The same as the Men do now.

As for " leaving their kids to do Drum Corps " you lost me on this one a there are millions of Men that have ageed to watch the kids as their wives go out to school board meetings, soocer meetings, PTA meetings, bowling Leagues, Woman's Investment Club meetiings, health clubs, political functions, Church, Charity, CIvic organizations volunteer work,, etc, and a million other things that modern day Woman are involved with with these days. There are also available what we call babysitters that can watch the kids too so that both Mom and Dad can attend after work hours hobby meetings on occasion too. Heck, at some Drum Corps meetings we see the Dads takiing the little ones there too with them on occasion. There's no bonafide excuses really, unless we're looking for excuses, I suppose.

sorry brasso...it all has nothing to do with the topic...but thanks for the interaction.. :biggrin: .send women and men you know to bust into the activity Im very sure it will be welcomed....I know many that would love to step down if they felt they could.......you assume someone is keeping women in particular out...you couldnt be more wrong.......just need to find some who actually want to do it.... as i said Ive hired probably more women than men in this activity....my experience has been very few want positions like director, head staff person, board member but its hard to get guys to want theses also...I think theres just more men than women in the activity maybe...so that tips the scales...MAYBE

Edited by GUARDLING

Where have you been, Stu? It only takes one finger to press a key on a keyboard....

But, I suppose there are some muscles involved to get the arm up, to curl the finger...

:tounge2:

He's right, Gar. It also takes the muscles found in some people's brains to accomplish the task. At least those where muscle exists in the place of brain cells.

Edited by HornTeacher