Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

Perc2100 - Why are you bringing up the origin of my login name? What relevance does it have? It was originally a reply to someone equating it with the musical selections of the Cadets this year.

I just randomly picked it to get my brain away from drum corps bias for a minute. I DEFINITELY meant nothing by it, just (1) being kind of silly (attempting) and (2) trying to steer away from any perceived bias against anyone.

I just randomly picked it to get my brain away from drum corps bias for a minute. I DEFINITELY meant nothing by it, just (1) being kind of silly (attempting) and (2) trying to steer away from any perceived bias against anyone.

Edited by LincolnV

FYI, it hasn't even been 24 hours since the OP posted.

On the same hand, others can, IDK, not post in forums of boring activities. I know trolls gonna troll and all, but I also understand people who want to talk World Class DCI drum corps get annoyed/tired/bored by the constant sniping of the activity, the overly dramatic, "hey, I'm an awful troll with no life who needs attention so let me just say it: this activity is boring me: now look at me and give me attention please" type of nonsense, wastes of bandwidth. Crap like the OP is part of the problem/reason why so many people who are actually actively involved in the activity (current MM's, staffers, designers, directors, judges, etc) don't take DCP seriously at all.

If DCI was smart, they would view DCP as a free think tank & resource of how fans feel. Why would you choose to ignore the largest message board in the activity? But the clowns who run DCI have never been very good at reacting to what fans want, thus the 25+ years of decline in this activity. Its like they say in the business world, if you dont listen to your customers, you will go out of business. DCI has been slowly going out of business for years. If you are happy with the direction of DCI, then enjoy the 10 corps who might survive...but the reality is that the Drum Corps acivity will most likely disapear & just merge with MBA. Ye gads. If DCI was a real business everyone there would have been fired long ago. It's never too late though.

Edited by FlamMan

Ha; I've already moved to the "ignore" option anyway, so he can call me whatever he wants for all my care (won't be any worse than I hear from my wife - ZING!!)

You have?

Id DCI was smart, they would view DCP as a free think tank & resource of how fans feel. Why would you choose to ignore the largest message board in the activity? But the clowns who run DCI have never been very good at reacting to what fans want, thus the 25+ years of decline in this activity. Its like they say in the business world, if you dont listen to your customers, you will go out of business. DCI has been slowly going out of business for years. If you are happy with the direction of DCI, then enjoy the 10 corps who might survive...but the reality is that the Drum Corps acivity will most likely disapear & just merge with MBA. Ye gads. If DCI was a real business everyone there would have been fired long ago. It's never too late though.

I need to repost my original post to this. DCI is NOT ignoring customers or dissenting opinions of their shows.

People can be disgruntled as much as they want... but I see the corps and DCI changing their tune over the past few years to accommodate them. A lot of the shows we see would not have been happening if there wasn't a dissent from the fan base. DCI would not be having a press release saying that they are changing the way they are judging GE to accommodate the audience if this kind of dissent wasn't getting further than DCP. There is an obvious and tangible movement in DCI and its members corps that addresses the complaints that people have had. (You cannot deny that...) And for what?

These people can complain (more power to them they have gained in influence in the direction of DCI) but their complaints need to be satiable and right now they AREN'T. Frankly, what's more annoying than a complainer is one that cannot be satisfied by any reasonable and realistic means. And that's what I think we are seeing here. Those that are expecting DCI to pull a rabbit of their ### with a show that compares to something they enjoyed and loved during the 80's (a memory which has gone many years through the rose colored filter of nostalgia of course). Frankly, they aren't being fair to themselves who have possibly changed more in 30 years than DCI has.

If people want DCI shows to "change" they need to at the very least make it seem that changes would "actually" satisfy their angst with modern corps... and I think for many people the idea that a show will be created that will actually make them stop complaining is an impossibility. That liking a modern corps show, no matter what it is, does the past they loved a disservice.

Ask yourself FlamMan if you EVER see yourself actually, physically, viscerally enjoying ANY modern corps performance as much as you did in the past. If the answer is no is that DCI's problem or yours?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Wow I asked a simple question and get called almost every name in the book for it. I said I was not excited about the upcoming season. I asked “Does anyone else feel this way and if so why?”

Here is what I found surprising.

• I’m not trolling … I’m asking a question about the upcoming season. I’m stating I’m not excited and was bored with many of last year’s offerings. But I was thrown under the bus and ran over repeatedly. Don’t worry I have thick skin J.
  • Some members really gave me some good insight about some of the things currently happening with corps I didn’t know. Thank you for being supportive of my question and statement about not being excited and needing more than one viewing to connect/understand a show.
  • The DCP members that bashed me for my post, I checked to see their status on DCP and surprisingly I found many of them to be Veteran members with numerous postings. My gosh are you the Nancy Grace’s of DCP where your opinion the only ones that count?
  • Some of you bashed me for starting a topic you thought had been beaten like a dead horse. Do you bash those that start topics talking about Placements for 2014? We’ve not even seen a show in 2014 yet. I didn’t want to bring electronics into this discuss nor instrumentation … I really don’t’ care either way about what type of horns the corps play, but if you want to know I think drum corps lost it’s edge (corps used to have a bright sound now they don’t) when it went to B Flat horns.
  • Lastly, it seems like many of you don’t have lives and live on here. One poster was asking why I had not posted yet to defend myself. Well I just got around to checking my post. I am sorry but I am a rather busy man with my own National Championship Drill Team and I’ve been busy.

Hind sight - maybe it’s not the corps I’m bored with at all … maybe it’s the snotty attitude some people have towards drum corps. Some of you posters sure do fit the label of, “Take it or leave it”, or “Its change baby so adapt” and “Out with the Dinosaurs, we don’t need you!”

It’s a free world, so troll on.

• Like 2

RB,

There are a handful on this forum who seem to feel empowered to attack anyone with an opinion that differs from their own, rather than debate the topic. The vast majority are not like that.

• Like 1