Blue Devils 2014 Thread

And if it's a new character, or an amalgam of characters, that's fine, but we need to know. We need to know what the specific origin of this character is so we can fully enjoy it, and bask in the clever design.

Most people that come to shows have no clue of origins or meanings and enjoy shows just fine. Cadets 2000 for example, one of the most introductory drum corps shows, is partly about growing up and enjoying life, but young fans don't really care that much if you told them that.

Kind of like in a movie?

There's a lot of scatter drill setups in BD's show, cloaked in an off-camera, between-take, casual vibe, but too many of these cheapen the drill. The first one is when the hornline skips, dreamlike to the backfield. They sort of wander back there without motivation.

Sure, they can use the backstage setting as a justification for scatter drill once or twice, but at least they should be in character, or throw in an Assistant Director with a walkie talkie to wrangle everyone. Give it more of a real soundstage feel.

A couple of the transitions are... inelegant. Hard on the eyes. There's sort of a casual, "no-one's-watching-us-set-this-up" feeling when they're setting up for the next stage picture. The intention is to be casual and off-camera, but it ends up pulling too much focus-- and the transition into the cabaret dance so sloppy, they don't look like extras, they look homeless.

Once they trim their hair into Fellini couture style, and clean up the transitions, BD could reach a perfect score.

Edited by Brutus

There's a lot of scatter drill setups in BD's show, cloaked in an off-camera, between-take, casual vibe, but too many of these cheapen the drill. The first one is when the hornline skips, dreamlike to the backfield. They sort of wander back there without motivation.

Sure, they can use the backstage setting as a justification for scatter drill once or twice, but at least they should be in character, or throw in an Assistant Director with a walkie talkie to wrangle everyone. Give it more of a real soundstage feel.

A couple of the transitions are... inelegant. Hard on the eyes. There's sort of a casual, "no-one's-watching-us-set-this-up" feeling when they're setting up for the next stage picture. The intention is to be casual and off-camera, but it ends up pulling too much focus-- and the transition into the cabaret dance so sloppy, they don't look like extras, they look homeless.

Once they trim their hair into Fellini couture style, and clean up the transitions, BD could reach a perfect score.

So, I think I know how you feel. That complaint has softened for me over the season, though, as the show fills out more and they get better about sharpening some of the visual focal points. The transition into the ballad, for example, doesn't bother me quite as much as it did before. Now that they're a bit more confident in playing up Felini's offbeat style, it feels like an assertive change of pace rather than a confused mess. To me, anyway.

The transition into the cabaret dance is still really unsatisfying for me -- overall (musically & visually) but especially with the male guard members. I don't mind a slightly inelegant set-up; no show is perfect. But dang, at least add some character. They just sorta....mosey.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJSYMvsiRC4

Cool video... especially because I'm in it. All access pass, woop- Lower side 2. :silly:

some of these videos are just amazing - BD charting some new territory this year, and such outstanding instruction and support

I really think having one person acting as Guido himself with a megaphone and the small cowboy hat like in 8-1/2 is something I was hoping for when I heard about the show. Now I really wish they would go ahead and do it.

If you have not seen it I would recommend seeing it. It's quite an amusing movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtDQOF_pU8A

Did... did BD just OFFICIALLY post a video of their FULL show for FREE on YouTube?

Ladies and gentlebeings... Not in a month without Sundays, hell hath just frozen over with pigs seen flying across the globe. The sun has risen in the West and money has been collected directly from the trees. Victoria's secret has been revealed and it's Christmas in June.

Edited by NeutralNovice