Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

Yeah. The cavaliers are exciting. The staff feels confident in the direction of the corps, hope that confidence bleeds into good retention.

Madison has a solid show. Top notch brass line, and the percussion has taken a huge step up. Love the opener, but drill is cluttered. Some of this is design, some is marching...very sloppy. Corps is very dirty visually but musically they are far along and sound amazing. 2nd tune didn't allow for more movement in the legs so the drill was stagnant. Percussion feature is awesome with trombone feature, which is good but mallets over balance the soli. Love the music of the closer...WOW; but again the drill is cluttered and difficult to read at times. They will be hurt visually, but it's an enjoyable show. New uniform is nice but too much white for me.

So for anyone who's been to a Cinecast before, is it normal to clap and whatnot after performances or should it be treated as a normal movie?

Just curious since this is my first time going to one.

Group dynamics. People aren't sure so they wait to see what everybody else is doing. So if you want the audience to clap after the shows, take the lead. No drum corps fan is going to hold that against you, and most people will be glad to know it is OK to clap themselves.

thanks jwillis for the reviews! I'm unable to go tonight

I'm not wild about Boston's Animal Farm show. Tough theme to pull off. Brass sounds good, but not as good as Madison and maybe slightly more balanced than Cavaliers but with less demand. Drill is better than Madison with better focus and use of the field, but nowhere close to Cavaliers drill. A very loud horn line. I do like the Conquest at the end in minor mode. Powerful and dark, but this show will be a tough sell with audiences. Let's see what the judges say. Guard has the most difficult task of trying to sell this production.

So just watched Madison and Boston

Two good early season performances

Boston has biten off a tough program with a very dark sound and pallete. One of those shows you can't really judge until mid seaskn

Scouts have a fun program but they are understandably a little rough right now. Corps seems young. Marched just two tenors.

Back to the show

So just watched Madison and Boston

Two good early season performances

Boston has biten off a tough program with a very dark sound and pallete. One of those shows you can't really judge until mid seaskn

Scouts have a fun program but they are understandably a little rough right now. Corps seems young. Marched just two tenors.

Back to the show

Was surprised to see this as well. Despite the numbers, that drumline was rammin'!

I love Phantom Regiment's uniform this year, despite some criticism. And the guard outfits are gorgeous. They perform wonderfully in all captions but percussion needs some cleaning. Brass is lush and in tune. Drill is very readable and good, but not overly demanding by drum corps standards.

I like the uniform change but the outfit is not my cup of tea. Half of the brass goes to all black uniforms along with percussion. The helmet with the plume is not good and hurts the visual. Drill is effective for the bi-tonal look and music is exciting.

Musically this show is wonderful until the end of the closer. It goes flat as does the visual program. With some tweaking this should be a good Phantom show come world finals in Indianapolis, but top 5, probably not. But you never know what surprises they have in store.

Edited by jwillis35

Cadets have a great show but also a lot to do.

Tempo issues, ensemble tears and a bunch of feet sound in the horns and drums.

Guard is way ahead of last year.

We'll received in the theater here.