Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

I just got back from the theater. I didn't stay to see scores, I wanted to drive the 35 minute journey home before it got dark, since it was raining.

My impressions:

Scouts drill was incredibly easy, but their music was pretty decent.

Cavaliers have a much more difficult show, was much dirty, and the theme did not suit well with me. However, they should beat the Scouts by Finals by at least 3 points.

Phantom was really clean, both visually and musically. However, their show is very dull and ordinary, and not difficult.

It would not surprise me if Cavaliers cleaned up their show and beat Phantom by at least 1.5

Boston Crusaders has a VERY challenging program.

I said before that I did not think the music and drill would work well together, and unfortunately I think I was right. However - the show is very difficult, and IF they can clean it, and add a better ending, bring out a better storyline, then they should be 6th place, even though they did score below Scouts. The two programs are night and day. Scouts is easy and ordinary, BAC is difficult and innovative. With the new GE judging, BAC should end up miles ahead of Scouts by August, IF they can clean clean clean, and add a better ending.

Crown's hornline blew me away.

Cadets' show was kinda boring and I hated the narration. I had previously predicted Cadets ending up with the silver and Crown in 4th at Finals, but now I think Crown can seriously win another gold medal, depending on what the Blue Devils bring to the table.

Bluecoats - Hmm.

I think this might end up being one of those "the props get in the way of the visual drill" things, kinda like Blue Stars 2011 Rebourne show with the scaffolding.

However. They were visually dirty anyway, and even brass was dirty.

I was disappointed at the end, when I thought they were actually lip-slurring that pitch, but then realized when it was just the synthesizer. What a sobering moment...ouch.

It was almost like "YEAH, we're BLOO and we're BACK! Oh...wait...pay no attention to the synthesizer behind the curtain."

I hope they can end up fixing that.

I still think Bluecoats can contend for a medal, regardless. I think they can pass up Cadets. I just don't know what SCV is bringing to the table.

So basically at this point, I'm suggesting to pay no attention to the scores.

With the new GE scoring system, where we now have 2 judges judging both GE music and visuals at the same time, instead of separately, how the music and drill fits in together will be key. Design is going to be the factor here, and the more difficult shows will be on top, if they do clean.

We're going to see a bit of placement jumps from now until August, trust me on that one.

Favorite show of the night for me was probably Bluecoats, then Crown. None of the other shows did anything for me, really.

Well... looks like just another Bluecoat year. Gonna be competing with PR and SCV all season. Too bad. This one seemed like a good one to me. I don't think I'm going to be very entertained by the top spot. Not quite like last year... Crown 'kinda outdid' themselves last year.

In 2011 at this time Cadets scored a 71.05 at fortworth while Cavies, Crown, and BD all scored over 74. In August they won it all.

Now, For Bluecoats to be 2.15 behind Crown at this time of the season should not mean they are now out of the race. I have a Cadets 2011 feeling with Bluecoats this year. The show is there, clean clean clean and it will be a monster to contend the title in August. It has happened before. And it should be noted that Cadets didn't win a single regional in 2011 until the Sunday after Allentown at the TOC show.

And if the 2011 analogy holds it will mean that Cadets will pull a "Cavies" and slide back into third/4th by mid July.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

The Bluecoats had my theater up and cheering. If this was their 3rd show of the year instead of their 1st, the spread would have been much closer. I predict by Massilon that they will overtake the Cadets and Crown.

• Like 1

Just got back from the Cinecast.

Way too early, but OMG! Bluecoats blew me away (and won drums! Are you kidding me?)

Crown will take Cadets and battle BD for the gold.

Coats will take 3rd.

(It's too early and I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

• Like 3

(It's too early and I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Don't we all...

In 2011 at this time Cadets scored a 71.05 at fortworth while Cavies, Crown, and BD all scored over 74. In August they won it all.

Now, For Bluecoats to be 2.15 behind Crown at this time of the season should not mean they are now out of the race. I have a Cadets 2011 feeling with Bluecoats this year. The show is there, clean clean clean and it will be a monster to contend the title in August. It has happened before in what can be argued less favorable circumstances. And it should be noted that Cadets didn't win a single regional in 2011 until the Sunday after Allentown at the TOC show.

And if the 2011 analogy holds it will mean that Cadets will pull a "Cavies" and slide back into third/4th by July.

I was also about to make this point. I don't think it's time just yet to write Bloo off. They've got a solid product that I could definitely see the crowd getting behind. If they just continue to plug away, clean and add and do their thing they could find themselves within a point or so of 1st by the time the last week of the season rolls around with some huge forward momentum going their way. So long as they pace it so they don't plateau this thing could go all the way I think. The progression of this season should be interesting and fun to watch at the very least.

• Like 1

Now, For Bluecoats to be 2.15 behind Crown at this time of the season should not mean they are now out of the race. I have a Cadets 2011 feeling with Bluecoats this year. The show is there, clean clean clean and it will be a monster to contend the title in August. It has happened before. And it should be noted that Cadets didn't win a single regional in 2011 until the Sunday after Allentown at the TOC show.

And if the 2011 analogy holds it will mean that Cadets will pull a "Cavies" and slide back into third/4th by mid July.

After watching Bluecoats' show on FN, I kinda want them to win. But this logic to me is a little flawed given the history of Cadets and how they clean. So I don't really think it's good to compare Cadets 2011 to Blue this year. But obviously we will see.