Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

Well... looks like just another Bluecoat year. Gonna be competing with PR and SCV all season. Too bad. This one seemed like a good one to me. I don't think I'm going to be very entertained by the top spot. Not quite like last year... Crown 'kinda outdid' themselves last year.

• Like 1

Well... looks like just another Bluecoat year. Gonna be competing with PR and SCV all season. Too bad. This one seemed like a good one to me. I don't think I'm going to be very entertained by the top spot. Not quite like last year... Crown 'kinda outdid' themselves last year.

I don't agree. Texas is when they figure things out. I think the rankings will be very different by that point. This is a special Bluecoats.

• Like 2

Blue has a great vehicle that can/will compete with the top 3 - I'd put them just ahead of SCV right now and right behind Crown -- I'd expect Crown to make significant changes to their program. Coats need to make additions, musically it is right there. Guard does seem a step behind the other top corps. Visually probably a little demand to add.

Also judges first read - frankly I don't think it will sort itself out until the first or second regional weekend when I'd expect Bluecoats to move up

I personally would have put them much closer and possibly ahead of Crown but it is very hard to tell not being there in person

Videos are up on FanNetwork

You are KIDDING me.

DCI has the videos of the show online. Scores can be accessed via dcp and probably twitter. But the dang recaps aren't up?!?

I don't agree. Texas is when they figure things out. I think the rankings will be very different by that point. This is a special Bluecoats.

I agree as well. They need to add visual demand and stuff that guard book. The last month may be very good to them.

You are KIDDING me.

DCI has the videos of the show online. Scores can be accessed via dcp and probably twitter. But the dang recaps aren't up?!?

Coats took drums, Crown took horns, Cadets & Crown tied for Music. Both GE judges put Cadets first by about a half point total. Cadets took visual as well as guard. and performance.... Going on memory of the grid they showed in the theater but that's the gist of it. GE was very tough on Boston.

• Like 1

My take on the evening:

Cavies - This is the most I've enjoyed this corps since Gaines' departure. Great concept for them and more importantly, just a well put together show (something they've been lacking in past years, IMO). The marimba thing is definitely cool. Hope it doesn't get stale as the season progresses a la 'upside down tenors'.

Madison - Wish I dug the show as much as I dig the new unis. I think my expectations were higher considering the source material. Definitely room to grow, but just lacked the emotional punch for me the past couple years were able to deliver. Hopefully that will change as the summer moves along, but I'm not sure how.

BAC - Definitely a dark show. Maybe too dark? I was left with an SCV/Devil's Staircase/WTF was that feeling? (Not necessarily a good one.) They definitely moved and played better than the previous corps IMO, so I'll give them that. In turn, they're giving me nightmares with the guard masks....

Phantom - I was put off by some of the previous reviews, but I liked the show overall. Not one of their best out of the gate, but it has potential, despite the Spinal Tap/GWAR costumes they end up in. (Seriously, it's like an 80's hair band #### the bed in their uniform bags.)

Cadets - They're starting to make me a believer in this show. Guard much improved. Solid brass. Solid visual. And some clear moments. Here's hoping that they'll continue to tweak them and refine the narration. Here's also to hoping they let the narrator be live. And that they allow him more time to change out of his Cadets pajamas before the next show.

Crown - Much improved over their preview show. I still can't shake the impression that it's just really disjointed and forced right now. I'm sure that'll change and they'll smooth things out and add in some more GE and whatnot, but I think they've certainly left the door open at this point. That's not to say they can't shut it. But a repeat is not a lock with what they currently have. Brass, great as always and percussion is definitely improved, but that break goes on too long, IMO.

Bloo - Wow. Hands down my favorite offering from them since Imagine (just love that show). Wholly unique from everyone before them. Percussion has some chops and will be battling out with the perennials. Visually their best program in years. Some really neat things happening on the field. ... and not a single story to tell. Just cool visual. Great music. Awesome moments. So... it can be done. :)

I think technically Cadets were the better corps. But Bluecoats made me smile the most.

• Like 5

After getting back from the theater, all I can say is hot #### Bloo! What a fantastic show and what incredible performance levels! I definitely think they are top 3 material this year. Their use of color is spectacular! Their drill is much improved from recent years. The music book is once again one of the most challenging of the season. And the concept is just awesome. No stupid story or gimmicks, just straight up drum corps. Also, amazing use of electronics at the end mixing with the corps power chords.

Regardless, of where they end up in the end, I think this will end up being my favorite show of the year! That being said, I haven't seen BD yet.

• Like 2