Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

You know....I will get killed for saying this, but the Cadets show bores me this year....Do not get me wrong--they march well, they play well. I liked last year's show a lot better (eventhough the outhouses were in the way)- I preferred their horn book a lot more. Yes for hitting on all cylinders.....No for entertaining me.

• Like 2

The Bluecoats organization tends to not have tricks up the sleeve. They eigther get it right from the start or settle in. Those long slogs from behind never work out. If the judges don't see it and demonstrate it in low point spread on night one... then it probably isn't there. A spread like that is not competitive.

Coats took drums, Crown took horns, Cadets & Crown tied for Music. Both GE judges put Cadets first by about a half point total. Cadets took visual as well as guard. and performance.... Going on memory of the grid they showed in the theater but that's the gist of it. GE was very tough on Boston.

I appreciate the memory George.

But part of my being "way too into dci" every year is making spreadsheets of each judge, each caption, for each corps.

So its just making things considerably longer tonight.

Im amazed that bloo won perc but still finished over 3pts behind cadets ovr

You know....I will get killed for saying this, but the Cadets show bores me this year....Do not get me wrong--they march well, they play well. I liked last year's show a lot better (eventhough the outhouses were in the way)- I preferred their horn book a lot more. Yes for hitting on all cylinders.....No for entertaining me.

I agree it is a bit "flat" right now - like a history lesson in spots and that always bored me

They have some work to do to bring out the excitement - especially in the middle portion of the program.

• Like 1

The Bluecoats organization tends to not have tricks up the sleeve. They eigther get it right from the start or settle in. Those long slogs from behind never work out. If the judges don't see it and demonstrate it in low point spread on night one... then it probably isn't there. A spread like that is not competitive.

ehh- I've seen that pattern from them as well

they've had some great programs in the past but just haven't ramped up the performance level or cleanliness the final twenty days of the season and others pass by or pull away

that said I've been around this activity for a LONG time and my gut says this year will be different. I'd advise you to keep the faith

they have the show of the year - don't lose faith until the second or third regional if they are in the top 3 then, they have a real shot IMO

• Like 1

Just got home from the show, and here are a few thoughts:

Cadets are crazy good and deserved the win....(but, for the first time in my life, I saw a Cadet with a goatee....facial hair?!) :) Neither the narration nor the big stage bothered me. At all. The kid was great and the narration is entirely appropriate for this show.

Crown is great, but I don't think they'll catch Cadets this year. And BD?? idk

Bluecoats had a better show than Crown imo, and at the very least should have been much further away from Regiment than they were. AND, THEY GOT RID OF THAT TERRIBLE MARCHING TECHNIQUE OF THE PAST COUPLE YEARS! WOOHOO!

Phantom' show is vintage Phantom.....I have no complaints with it and I like the uniform change in the corps proper.

Madison's show seems to be weaker than the rest from a construction point of view, but they continue to connect well with the audience.

Cavaliers are far improved over this time last year. I like their show and it's nice to see their guard dressed the way they were--the suits...

BAC has a whale of a show which I know they will modify and clean as they know how to do. I personally like this vehicle for them, and with some obvious visual collisions on screen tonight, they know what they have to do. I still see them scraping and clawing into 6th or better by August.

My theatre (Cinemagic Grand in South Portland, Maine) had ear-splitting volume and crystal clear HD...awesome!

Edited by craiga
  • Like 4

Cadets are crazy good and deserved the win....(but, for the first time in my life, I saw a Cadet with a goatee....facial hair?!) :) Neither the narration nor the big stage bothered me. At all. The kid was great and the narration is entirely appropriate for this show.

Bluecoats had a better show than Crown imo, and at the very least should have been much further away from Regiment than they were.

Phantom' show is vintage Phantom.....I have no complaints with it and I like the uniform change in the corps proper.

Madison's show seems to be weaker than the rest from a construction point of view, but they continue to connect well with the audience.

Cavaliers are far improved over this time last year. I like their show and it's nice to see their guard dressed the way they were--the suits...

BAC has a whale of a show which I know they will modify and clean as they know how to do. I personally like this vehicle for them, and with some obvious visual collisions on screen tonight, they know what they have to do. I still see them scraping and clawing into 6th or better by August.

My theatre (Cinemagic Grand in South Portland, Maine) had ear-splitting volume and crystal clear HD...awesome!

Very glad to hear that - I know a lot of theaters have had a problem with volume in the past, and drum corps fans always walked away disappointed by it. Seems like they've been doing better in recent years.

Bluecoats had a better show than Crown imo, and at the very least should have been much further away from Regiment than they were.

Yeah there's like a HUGE gripe fest by the alumni on Facebook about this. Honestly, I don't really care. I'm more aggravated at the show design.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

I just got home from viewing this in the theater. A couple minutes into Phantom's show an error message popped up that part of the recording had been lost and then it skipped to right before Crown started. I only saw maybe two minutes of Phantom and none of Cadets. I'm not happy at all.